Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Melbourne

Where to live in Melbourne

Old Jul 21st 2006, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Stuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to all
Default Where to live in Melbourne

Hey all.
After much reading about how expensive Sydney can be. I am thinking Melbourne would be better for my wife, our 8 month old chocolate lab puppy Bailey and me.
What are the good areas to live to be near some open space for Bailey and my wife to rollerblade. But not a great distance to get to the CBD for work?

Stuart.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:02 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Melbourne

Originally Posted by Stuart
Hey all.
After much reading about how expensive Sydney can be. I am thinking Melbourne would be better for my wife, our 8 month old chocolate lab puppy Bailey and me.
What are the good areas to live to be near some open space for Bailey and my wife to rollerblade. But not a great distance to get to the CBD for work?

Stuart.
Rollerblading sounds like you may want something down their the bayside ie brighton, St Kilda way - some others will be on shortly more down that way.

We are in Malvern and enjoy it
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:10 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all.

Stuart.
Sounds like a good move!!!
Look at Brighton,St Kilda,Mentone,Cheltenham, ( bit further down but on the coast again and bit cheaper for houses )Beaumaris,Hampton,Black Rock,Elwood for starters.
Hope this helps.

*pearly*
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Rollerblading sounds like you may want something down their the bayside ie brighton, St Kilda way - some others will be on shortly more down that way.

We are in Malvern and enjoy it
Comes down to finances though

Brighton - St Kilda circa 600 - 700,000 for a house, Same as Carlton Fitzroy...

450 - 600,000 gets you Brunswick - Northcote over in the North... Where as 380-500 gets you Coburg - Preston. 280 - 380 K gets you Reservoir - Glenroy.

You can get 3 bed 2 bathroom houses for less than 220,000 in Dallas, less than 20ks out Wouldn't advise living there though.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:25 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all.

Stuart.
We live in Elsternwick - it great !

Nice resdential areas, and a buzzy main street with lots of cafes, shops and ammenities.

Couple of nice parks too.

Has a good public transport system too with trains and trams foing to the CBD.
Driving takes about 15 mins.

Not far from Elwood beach - which is the next suburb (cheaper than Elwood too, but I think just as nice - and for us better as Elwood does not have the buzziness)

Cas
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Stuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to allStuart is a name known to all

Thanks for all the great replys, i will look at all the areas today.
We will be renting for a while, so it will give us a chance to see the place.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:37 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the great replys, i will look at all the areas today.
We will be renting for a while, so it will give us a chance to see the place.
We're renting here...lots of places