Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live if working at Gold Coast Hospital

Where to live if working at Gold Coast Hospital

Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

noofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nice
Default Where to live if working at Gold Coast Hospital

Hi,

We are planning to arrive on the Gold Coast in January to start our new life.

I will be working as a Midwife at the Gold Coast hospital and wondered if anyone could suggest the best areas to look at for rentals.

I know its all down to personal preferance but I would like to hear others opinions. We have three teenage boys aged 13,15 and 18 plus a dog.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Jackie
x
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

DONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really nice
Default Re: Where to live if working at Gold Coast Hospital

Hiya Jackie

We live on Pacific Pines which is about 20 mins from the Gold Coast Hospital

Hope this helps

Sarah x
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

DONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really nice

Sorry Jackie I also have 3 boys 13/10 & 4 my eldest goes to the Pacific Pines High school, plenty to do here for your kids great parks, bbq area's and a soccer pitch and skate board park which is really popular with the kids.

Sarah x
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

noofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nice

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the info - we had looked at Pacific Pines - it's nice to hear from someone who lives there though.

Jackie
x
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:20 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noofie
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the info - we had looked at Pacific Pines - it's nice to hear from someone who lives there though.

Jackie
x
a 20 to 30 minute drive to the GC hospital opens up a very large area
i`d try listing your preferences and see what ticks the boxes
whats top of the list
school ? large garden? acerage? amenities? beach?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Annie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really nice
Smile Re: Where to live if working at Gold Coast Hospital

When we first arrived here we rented in Arundel which is a bit closer than Pacific Pines, if distance is a concern. It was a quick 12 minute run to the Hospital. We had a dog, which is also hard to get rentals and we found rentals in Arundel to be quite accommodating and not too expensive for what we got.

If you want to be closer, try Ashmore and Labrador, there might be some rentals in there but you will most likely pay more - but then you have to look at the cost of travelling and see if that justifies higher rent...

I know quite a lot of people who work at the hospital opt to go a bit further south, places like Benowa, Sorrento, Broadbeach Waters so those are also options, just depends what you are looking for.

Hope that helps..
Old Oct 12th 2008, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

markntracy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jackie

I am due to start working on the baby unit at the gold coast hospital just as soon as we get our visas. Myself my hubbie and 2 children (10 and 11 ) have just returned from the gold coast. The areas we liked where Burleigh Waters, and reedy creek, we also liked Runaway bay especially if your boys are sporty. Runaway bay however is a little distance from surfing beaches although it does back onto water (no waves). My hubbie tried to send you a private email as we live in Surbiton and could tell you so much about our visit.

Which hospital do you work in at the moment, I work at Kingston.

I am sure things are pretty busy at the moment, but please try and get in touch if you can,

Tracy.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 6:58 am
Just Joined

deb31deb has a brilliant futuredeb31deb has a brilliant futuredeb31deb has a brilliant futuredeb31deb has a brilliant futuredeb31deb has a brilliant futuredeb31deb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by markntracy
Hi Jackie

I am due to start working on the baby unit at the gold coast hospital just as soon as we get our visas. Myself my hubbie and 2 children (10 and 11 ) have just returned from the gold coast. The areas we liked where Burleigh Waters, and reedy creek, we also liked Runaway bay especially if your boys are sporty. Runaway bay however is a little distance from surfing beaches although it does back onto water (no waves). My hubbie tried to send you a private email as we live in Surbiton and could tell you so much about our visit.

Which hospital do you work in at the moment, I work at Kingston.

I am sure things are pretty busy at the moment, but please try and get in touch if you can,

Tracy.
Hi Tracy
I will also be working in the specialcare unit Gold Coast Hospital we had our medicals yesterday . Hopefully within a few weeks our visa will be granted starting on a 457 visa then applying for permanent we are looking to going after xmas jan/feb time love to hear from you

Deb
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hi deb
good to hear from you. Sounds like there will be a few of us starting at the gold coast next year. Are you working in neonates at the moment if so where abouts.Also where do you live in the uk, it would be nice to meet up before we go to oz if thats possible or at least send me a PM so I can phone you.

There is another nurse on this board " noofie" who is also starting at the gold coast hospital, I am trying to get in touch with her as she lives local to us.

We have just got back from a reckie on the gold coast so if you 're unfamiliar with the area we can probably help with any questions.

You could probably live anywhere on the gold coast and still have easy access to the hospital, we liked the look of Burleigh, Reedy Creek and Runaway Bay, but where you choose is always dictated by personal circumstances ie Finance, schools, beach,sports clubs, shops, transport and in my case a nice tennis club.

Please contact me with any more specific questions, I,ll be pleased to help.

Tracy.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya,
Like Steve o said it opens up a big area in both directions for you.
Once you are on the highway all the areas just lead of it. It just depends how long a drive you want at the end of your shift.
We looked at so much areas when we arrived and Ormeau was the last place we looked at.
Fell in love with it.
Its got a brand new School being built at the moment which opens in Jan. Plenty shops etc round about.
Its a new estate, I am in the Jacobs Ridge estate in Ormeau and none of the houses are more that 2 years old. I pay $370 a week for a 4 bedroomed house.
x
Old Nov 1st 2008, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

I just wanted to say hello to all those who are going to be working at the Gold Coast Hospital

I'll be having my baby there (due 5th March) so if you see a 32 year old english woman looking like a rabbit caught in the headlights please come and help me out Yes, it's my first, can you tell.

Good luck with the move to everyone though. I live in Labrador but you could realistically be anyway from Ormeau (as pp said) all the way down to Burleigh and maybe further? Lots of places to choose from with easy access to the beaches and the hinterland.

Lucyx
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:27 am
Just Joined

deb31deb has a brilliant futuredeb31deb has a brilliant futuredeb31deb has a brilliant futuredeb31deb has a brilliant futuredeb31deb has a brilliant futuredeb31deb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by markntracy
Hi deb
good to hear from you. Sounds like there will be a few of us starting at the gold coast next year. Are you working in neonates at the moment if so where abouts.Also where do you live in the uk, it would be nice to meet up before we go to oz if thats possible or at least send me a PM so I can phone you.

There is another nurse on this board " noofie" who is also starting at the gold coast hospital, I am trying to get in touch with her as she lives local to us.

We have just got back from a reckie on the gold coast so if you 're unfamiliar with the area we can probably help with any questions.

You could probably live anywhere on the gold coast and still have easy access to the hospital, we liked the look of Burleigh, Reedy Creek and Runaway Bay, but where you choose is always dictated by personal circumstances ie Finance, schools, beach,sports clubs, shops, transport and in my case a nice tennis club.

Please contact me with any more specific questions, I,ll be pleased to help.

Tracy.
Hi Tracy
I currently work in neonates lister Hospital Stevenage Hertfordshire .It would be great to meet up . Did you look at schools on your reccie trip? we are looking at Guardian angels school or st kevins any thoughts? my husband martin is a builder so hopefully he will find work . my two girls are 5 and 8 we will be living in southport to begin with as this is where hospital provide the initial accomadation free for first couple of weeks,then thinking of Ashmore or Benowa
Deb
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hi everyone,

Haven't been on BE for a bit as I did get terrible cold feet - got over them now - I think!!!!!

Would be great to keep in touch with others starting at the Gold Coast hospital (GCH) in the New Year. I am a midwife currently working at Frimley Park Hospital in Surrey and have a start date at the GCH of the 9th February - scarey - I leave me current hospital on the 12th December after 14 years!!!!

We are due to complete on our house on the 28th of this month and are just waiting for approval on our removal quotes from Queensland Health so we can sort that and book our flights.

Plan is to fly around 4th or 5th of January and stay in the Bluewater Bay accommosation provided by Queensland Health while we have a look around and sort things out.

Jackie x
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by deb31deb
Hi Tracy
I currently work in neonates lister Hospital Stevenage Hertfordshire .It would be great to meet up . Did you look at schools on your reccie trip? we are looking at Guardian angels school or st kevins any thoughts? my husband martin is a builder so hopefully he will find work . my two girls are 5 and 8 we will be living in southport to begin with as this is where hospital provide the initial accomadation free for first couple of weeks,then thinking of Ashmore or Benowa
Deb
Hi deb,

On our reckie we didn't actually look at any schools. I know this sounds stupid when you consider your childrens happiness is your prime concern but we considered it a bit pointless say looking at school in southport and then deciding the area you like is nowhere near there. Its very difficult but we decided that it was more important to identify where you wanted to live and then to research the local schools.

We where warned that in season a lot of the GC become very congested especially the coastal region, we were advised to ensure most of what we wanted to do was easily accessible

A meet up would be nice only stevenage and surbiton are a good 1 1/2hrs apart. If you want to I will send you a private message and you can call me for a chat.

Tracy.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by noofie
Hi everyone,

Haven't been on BE for a bit as I did get terrible cold feet - got over them now - I think!!!!!

Would be great to keep in touch with others starting at the Gold Coast hospital (GCH) in the New Year. I am a midwife currently working at Frimley Park Hospital in Surrey and have a start date at the GCH of the 9th February - scarey - I leave me current hospital on the 12th December after 14 years!!!!

We are due to complete on our house on the 28th of this month and are just waiting for approval on our removal quotes from Queensland Health so we can sort that and book our flights.

Plan is to fly around 4th or 5th of January and stay in the Bluewater Bay accommosation provided by Queensland Health while we have a look around and sort things out.

Jackie x
HI Jackie, It would be nice to get in touch as we will probably end up working together, I will send you a PM so you can contact me , I have also done likewise with deb.

Ta Tracy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.