Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where to live? how do you choose?

where to live? how do you choose?

Old Oct 17th 2005, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future
Default where to live? how do you choose?

Hi

I’m still in the research phase of emigrating but I’m finding it difficult to research some topics/areas because I haven’t chosen a state so here’s my question…

How do you pick an area to live? I’m swaying towards Victoria at the moment but still not 100% sure or sure about where exactly to go in Victoria if that is the area I choose

About me: I will be 30 years old when I emigrate with a teenage son and I would like somewhere with a similar climate to the UK (4 seasons), Near to the coast but cheap to live/rent/buy, plenty of schools because I would like to teach ICT and need a good school for my son, A good community spirit, social life, Not in the countryside but not in a busy city like London, somewhere clean with lots of outdoor life…..and did I mention cheap

This limits my possibilities down to 1000's of places doesn’t it

Thanks
Old Oct 17th 2005, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of
Default Re: where to live? how do you choose?

Originally Posted by bubblegum_babe
Hi

I’m still in the research phase of emigrating but I’m finding it difficult to research some topics/areas because I haven’t chosen a state so here’s my question…

How do you pick an area to live? I’m swaying towards Victoria at the moment but still not 100% sure or sure about where exactly to go in Victoria if that is the area I choose

About me: I will be 30 years old when I emigrate with a teenage son and I would like somewhere with a similar climate to the UK (4 seasons), Near to the coast but cheap to live/rent/buy, plenty of schools because I would like to teach ICT and need a good school for my son, A good community spirit, social life, Not in the countryside but not in a busy city like London, somewhere clean with lots of outdoor life…..and did I mention cheap

Thanks

Hi

If you are after a climate similar to uk, then prob victoria or tasmania. I dont know very much about these places but would imagine outskirts of Melbourne maybe???

Laura
Old Oct 17th 2005, 5:52 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Hi

If you are after a climate similar to uk, then prob victoria or tasmania. I dont know very much about these places but would imagine outskirts of Melbourne maybe???

Laura
Sounds like Victoria is your best bet. Outskirts of Melbourne would give you all that.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future

By outskirts of Melbourne do you mean areas like Brighton, St kilda and Williams town?

I'll be going on a STNI visa so I don't think I can get too close to Melbourne itself - I'm not sure

Now I'm confusing myself lol - Maybe if I brought a better map of the area it would help

Last edited by bubblegum_babe; Oct 17th 2005 at 6:32 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 7:30 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

By outskirts of Melbourne do you mean areas like Brighton, St kilda and Williams town?

I'll be going on a STNI visa so I don't think I can get too close to Melbourne itself - I'm not sure

Now I'm confusing myself lol - Maybe if I brought a better map of the area it would help
Brighton is the second most expensive suburb in Melbourne so best give it a miss.
You would probably be better cost wise looking at places like Berwick, Ringwood, Ferntree Gully in the East or around Mornington down the Peninsula.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:47 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Brighton is the second most expensive suburb in Melbourne so best give it a miss.
You would probably be better cost wise looking at places like Berwick, Ringwood, Ferntree Gully in the East or around Mornington down the Peninsula.
Don't gp to to any of those areas , they're known to be inhabitid by sweatys
Old Oct 18th 2005, 3:11 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fraser
Don't gp to to any of those areas , they're known to be inhabitid by sweatys

But totally free of West Ham supporters.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:14 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
But totally free of West Ham supporters.
You'd be surprised we get everywhere
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:17 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks

If you hadnt of added in "near to the coast" I would have suggest where I live...

but you did....so I wont!!

Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:39 am
Mel
Just Joined

Mel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

places near the coast that are within an hour's reach to Melbourne CBD (more or less) are:

In Western Melbourne - South Werribee, Point Cook, Geelong

South Melbourne - Frankston, Mornington Peninsula

Look them up.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

adelaidebull is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Adelaide,only been here three months but its already home.It fills all your needs cost, lifestyle,education etc
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adelaidebull
Try Adelaide,only been here three months but its already home.It fills all your needs cost, lifestyle,education etc
Adelaide has much hotter average annual temperatures than Southern Victoria. It's also a lot drier. I'm guessing that if she wants a UK-type climate (like me) then Victoria or Tas as suggested by others are her best bets.

Personally, I'm hoping to move to Northern NSW and live at altitude. However, I wouldn't recommend this if she doesn't want to live in the sticks, which I do, you see. Plus, if I ever want a dose of hot weather, I can always head for the coast or inland in the Summer. Best of all climatic worlds!