Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where to live in Brissie

where to live in Brissie

Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default where to live in Brissie

Ok, let's try this, suggestions please:

the imaginary scenario - wife gets job at large mental hospital in Wacol, my job is in CBD, max. house price of 500k (Aus $), min. 4 beds, pool or room for pool.

What suburbs should I be looking at that are nice.

I was looking at Wynnum, Manly, bayside areas but feel this would not be practical for commuting to Wacol?

Cheers

Cadman
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:23 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to live in Brissie

Originally Posted by cadman

the imaginary scenario - wife gets job at large mental hospital in Wacol, my job is in CBD, max. house price of 500k (Aus $), min. 4 beds, pool or room for pool.

I was looking at Wynnum, Manly, bayside areas but feel this would not be practical for commuting to Wacol?

Cheers

Cadman
Cadman, try Sherwood/Graceville/Corinda area - a fabulous area (I grew up there ) with good schools/shops/cafes/transport (about 15-20 mins to city on the train + a bus service as well). About 10-15 mins easy drive to Wacol.

You could commute from the baside area to Wacol, but it would involve about 30 mins in the car & about $5-$6 in tolls each day.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cadman

Cheers

Cadman
G'day.

I'd stick with living on the Northside. Whenever there is a bad storm it is the southside that gets the short end of the stick.

http://www.brisbites.com
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:40 pm
Yeeehaahhh Cowboy

jonny140 is an unknown quantity at this point

mount ommaney , oxley sunnybank hills all 10-15 mins drive nice suburbs too
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:42 pm
Yeeehaahhh Cowboy

Originally Posted by GCS15
G'day.

I'd stick with living on the Northside. Whenever there is a bad storm it is the southside that gets the short end of the stick.

if you were to live on the nth side thats at least a 1hr drive to wacol
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of info in this thread -
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264630
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:46 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

G'day.

You obviously werent here a few years back when the northside got hit by a storm that did more damage than you can poke a stick at. For years afterwards people were driving around in cars with dents in them the size of golfballs .

It may seem that the southside gets more, but I think you will find that statistically, it evens up over a period of time .

(BTW, the northside is of no help to the OP if he needs to live near Wacol! )

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Feb 7th 2005 at 8:49 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:54 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by jonny140
mount ommaney , oxley sunnybank hills all 10-15 mins drive nice suburbs too
Personally I would avoid Oxley, but thats mainly because you can get much nicer houses in the Sherwood area (& be just a little further from Inala :scared: ) for that sort of money. But agree with trying Mt Ommaney/West Lake/Jindalee area. Newer style of houses (estates built in the 70s & 80s) on nice sized blocks of land near the river.

Or perhaps even Fig Tree Pocket/Kenmore area? A little bit further but nice.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 11:40 pm
ABCDiamond

G'day.

We keep hearing about the storms in the North, but rarely get them here. Even the ones that hit the South seem to miss us too. Except that one last week, when we got a load of rain ! But we still didn't lose the power

Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:11 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

G'day.

With respect I wouldn't base where I lived in Brissy simply on the risk of storm damage. I think Bayside got the worst of the recent storm and the west (at least the bit I'm in) missed the worst of it.

May change my opinion later this week if we get storms following the high temps...
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:35 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Parts of the North got hit badly last Feb, also before that can't remember the month, we lost one of our trees , had a lovely river too. this hit the North more than the South

I've lived in both sides ,South and now North over the years I've been here in Brisbane. Neither it seems to me is any less for bad storms. Some times the North gets it, while the South does not, and vice versa .

I was living , and at the time of the big Hail storm was in the workshop , which was down Southside ( it hit in the afternoon. I can remember it was after Lunch sometime - the sun went in, sky went the most odd colour and then all hell broke out. It was around 5 yrs ago this particular bad hail storm. seem to recall manly got hit too , which is not far ( a 5 min drive, if that) from the then workshop I was in when this bad storm hit. I think some of the yachts in the harbour got damaged too . I can most definitely say we had it down South side too . People as far up in the SC had the same hail storm too, Dotty had it in her area too in the SC. That big storm , around 5 yrs ( may have been 4 and a half something like that) ago covered a very wide area ( northside and Southside of Brisbane).
I think it came up the coast from NSW area . I think the Tweed (NSW) area got some of it too but don't quote me on that one , where it came from.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Feb 8th 2005 at 1:05 am.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 1:25 am
Yeeehaahhh Cowboy

Originally Posted by Ceri
Parts of the North got hit badly last Feb, also before that can't remember the month, we lost one of our trees , had a lovely river too. this hit the North more than the South

I've lived in both sides ,South and now North over the years I've been here in Brisbane. Neither it seems to me is any less for bad storms. Some times the North gets it, while the South does not, and vice versa .

I was living , and at the time of the big Hail storm was in the workshop , which was down Southside ( it hit in the afternoon. I can remember it was after Lunch sometime - the sun went in, sky went the most odd colour and then all hell broke out. It was around 5 yrs ago this particular bad hail storm. seem to recall manly got hit too , which is not far ( a 5 min drive, if that) from the then workshop I was in when this bad storm hit. I think some of the yachts in the harbour got damaged too . I can most definitely say we had it down South side too . People as far up in the SC had the same hail storm too, Dotty had it in her area too in the SC. That big storm , around 5 yrs ( may have been 4 and a half something like that) ago covered a very wide area ( northside and Southside of Brisbane).
I think it came up the coast from NSW area . I think the Tweed (NSW) area got some of it too but don't quote me on that one , where it came from.

cheers
i dont see what all the fuss is about with storms etc its not like ' Oh I moved here because i heard on a forum that we are less likely to get hit by a storm'.come on
Old Feb 8th 2005, 1:54 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jonny140
i dont see what all the fuss is about with storms etc its not like ' Oh I moved here because i heard on a forum that we are less likely to get hit by a storm'.come on
Neither do I .

Love storms myself, still haven't seen here in Brissie what I consider to be a really, really good one yet though. The Hailstorm was the best one in the years I've been here

Last edited by Ceri; Feb 8th 2005 at 1:57 am.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ceri
Neither do I .

Love storms myself, still haven't seen here in Brissie what I consider to be a really, really good one yet though. The Hailstorm was the best one in the years I've been here
We love storms too Ceri!
How big was the hail in the hailstorm one?

thanks for the advice re: areas (Mrs DB in particular as usual!), cool, new places to look at on realestate.com when bored at work!