Reload this Page >

Where to live in Brisbane?

Where to live in Brisbane?

Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Danaanatrix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in Brisbane?

Hi there,

My family (Wife and 2 girls), are loking to move to Brisbane next year. I have about $500,000 (Half of that mortgage) to spend on a house. Can you guys help me with a great place to live. Not a million miles away from the coast and plus I do not mind driving up to 45 mins (I live in London and am used to it) to work. I am just looking for these thing.

Nice neighbours,
Nice area,
Nice Schools,
Facilities for the kids,

Just put nice in front of anything. Is $500,00 enough for a nice pad and to get all these??

Danaamatrix
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:39 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Brisbane?

Originally Posted by Danaanatrix
Hi there,

My family (Wife and 2 girls), are loking to move to Brisbane next year. I have about $500,000 (Half of that mortgage) to spend on a house. Can you guys help me with a great place to live. Not a million miles away from the coast and plus I do not mind driving up to 45 mins (I live in London and am used to it) to work. I am just looking for these thing.

Nice neighbours,
Nice area,
Nice Schools,
Facilities for the kids,

Just put nice in front of anything. Is $500,00 enough for a nice pad and to get all these??

Danaamatrix
Do you mean drive to work or drive to the coast?......where will you be working?

If you want beaches then there are none in Brisbane. You would need to drive up to an hour North or south to find really good beaches.

A little more detail please.

G
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Danaanatrix is an unknown quantity at this point

I would rather drive 45 mins to work and be nearer the coast. I will be working in and around Brisbane. So outside Brisbane would be fine.

Last edited by Danaanatrix; Jun 12th 2008 at 10:47 am.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Macgregor

Its a lovely place it's so beautiful! I love it. I want to live there again
Old Jun 12th 2008, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by crap coffee
Macgregor

Macgregor

Macgregor

I kinda get the idea you liked it there!!??
Old Jun 12th 2008, 9:25 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Personally I'd say the coast is overrated and having some greenery around you is more comforting (and cooling) so my recommendations wouldnt extend to Brisbanes bayside suburbs (which is presumably where you'd be looking).

Look carefully at the school situation - you might get an ok house in an ok suburb for $500k but if the state schools in the area are a dud you might be looking at up to $30k a year in school fees for the 2 girls. You might find that spending a little more on property and getting into an area with a good state school will save you lots in the long run. Many of the better respected public schools seem to be on the western side of Brisbane - but I dare say if you search through them there'll be one or 2 decent ones on the East:

http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/downloads/...utcomes_07.pdf

check for the "OP1-15 %ge" column - its the percentage of student getting grades sufficiently high to gain uni entrance and is the best indicator available (not necessarily good - but it is the best) of a school academic quality.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 9:50 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=DadAgain;6461650]Personally I'd say the coast is overrated and having some greenery around you is more comforting (and cooling) so my recommendations wouldnt extend to Brisbanes bayside suburbs (which is presumably where you'd be looking).

QUOTE]

I disgree, the coastal area is much better expecially for a foreigner.

The temperature on the bay is much more moderate than out west.

It doesn't get as cold, nor as hot.

The water is a great place to have fun and also just to sit and have a picnic.

I also find that their is more money around the bayside suburbs and less crime. The southwest of the city deffo has more crime, Inala, Logan etc.

I suggest you stick with Bayside suburbs, preferably between Wynnum and Lota, or even Birkdal and Wellington point you will still have access to the city.

Wynnum is probably the best for access to the gateway motorway without going through all the suburbs.

If prices are above your bracket just move one suburb inland from the water to get prices, be aware the closer to the city you get the prices start going up.

I would avoid , Hemmant & Tingalpa though !
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:16 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

North lakes - approx 45 mins by car to CBD, 40 mins to Australia Zoo, 1 hour to Dreamworld, nearest beach 15 minutes - nicer beach 40 minutes. 10 minutes to nearest railway
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Jayday is an unknown quantity at this point

Try the Northern suburbs: Narangba, Burpengary,Dakabin etc.
You can still get a nice 4 bed house, 1/4 acre and pool for under $500K.
On a normal day its around 45 mins to an hour to the CBD ( I used to commute down the A20 and A2 to get to London so I know where you are coming from). The nearest beach is Redcliffe which is OK, but the Sunshine coast, Moloolaba, Maroochydore are only 40mins away, and Noosa an hour and a half..They are nice beaches.
The Gold Coast only takes an hour and a half to get to if you want to see Surfers and take the kids to Movie World, Seaworld, Dreamworld etc.
Hope this helps.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:26 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jayday
Try the Northern suburbs: Narangba, Burpengary,Dakabin etc.
You can still get a nice 4 bed house, 1/4 acre and pool for under $500K.
On a normal day its around 45 mins to an hour to the CBD ( I used to commute down the A20 and A2 to get to London so I know where you are coming from). The nearest beach is Redcliffe which is OK, but the Sunshine coast, Moloolaba, Maroochydore are only 40mins away, and Noosa an hour and a half..They are nice beaches.
The Gold Coast only takes an hour and a half to get to if you want to see Surfers and take the kids to Movie World, Seaworld, Dreamworld etc.
Hope this helps.

45 mins to CBD is that on a sundauy lunchtime.

Northside is very nice once you get past bribie island but it is too far out from CBD if that is where you plan to work.

You can still purchase 4 bed with a pool for under 500k around the bayside suburbs I mentioned. However if you are looking at investment growth potential northside is probably well positioned in comparision to southside.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:51 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

I would avoid , Hemmant & Tingalpa though !
Why?
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:52 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
You can still purchase 4 bed with a pool for under 500k around the bayside suburbs I mentioned. However if you are looking at investment growth potential northside is probably well positioned in comparision to southside.
Which suburbs does this apply to?
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:55 pm
Born to be wild....

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Why?

Because those two areas have several problem

Low lying and have flood plains.

Industrial areas are a thoroughfair for heavy transport.

Gateway upgrade will affect these areas in terms of noise and polution.

Valuation growth has been quite poor relative to close bye suburbs.

Don't get me wrong the areas are good, but given the choice there are better areas close by which are no more expensive.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:56 pm
Born to be wild....

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Which suburbs does this apply to?
Birkdale, Alex Hills, Wynnum West, Manly West if yoru lucky. Some areas of Lota. Not exactly bayside but very close.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve G
I kinda get the idea you liked it there!!??
yes I do love the area. so far it was the best place I've ever lived in my life - it was the most pleasant place for me

But generally there aren't many jobs available in Brisbane - very low employment

How about drought there these days? It was fine when I lived there (9 years ago) but now I hear you guys having 5 minutes shower rule or something similar! I can't live like that.. as I take an hour shower

I really liked the Brisbane surburb - it was superb, but I & my parents were kinda disappointed with Brisbane CBD -why is the atmosphere in the city so dark?

Wellinigton is surely better - cleaner, well organized, brighter colour, mordern, convenient, smarter people and Civillized!!!!! + better shopping!!!!! + Nasty weather!!!!

I will go there for holidays I guess even for 3 months - I will try to find an acommodation in Macgregor again where I lived before!

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 13th 2008 at 12:06 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.