Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Brisbane?

Where to live in Brisbane?

Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:44 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where to live in Brisbane?

Here's my stock answer based on my limited experience of Brisbane (2 years) but backed-up by the fact I've put (our) money where my mouth is ...

Check out the Logan/Beaudesert Shire border (sort of Buccan area ... ish ...) we got a smallish but solid 3 bedroom house on 4 acres in a nice location for $315K 6 months ago.

The commute is managable (about an hour on a good day) and the semi-rural life (read: space, smells, interesting village life and tankwater) suits us perfectly ... exactly the sort of change from living in Kent I needed. Ideal for raising our young daughter too.

Apparently the whole area will be booming and prices will rise but that matters not to me 'cos Al Qaeda will have to bomb me out before I go.

Of course, your mileage, priorities (no fancy clothes shops or fancy anything around here ...) and expectations may differ ...
Old Feb 7th 2007, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

aussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Here's my stock answer based on my limited experience of Brisbane (2 years) but backed-up by the fact I've put (our) money where my mouth is ...

Check out the Logan/Beaudesert Shire border (sort of Buccan area ... ish ...) we got a smallish but solid 3 bedroom house on 4 acres in a nice location for $315K 6 months ago.

The commute is managable (about an hour on a good day) and the semi-rural life (read: space, smells, interesting village life and tankwater) suits us perfectly ... exactly the sort of change from living in Kent I needed. Ideal for raising our young daughter too.

Apparently the whole area will be booming and prices will rise but that matters not to me 'cos Al Qaeda will have to bomb me out before I go.

Of course, your mileage, priorities (no fancy clothes shops or fancy anything around here ...) and expectations may differ ...
That sounds lovely and It sounds as though the landscape/ areas are very varied. Theres so much to look for.
Is there everything you need there, i.e cheap food, docs, school and do you get alot of "wildlife" if so how do you / your daughter cope?

Thanks for all your help
The Lees
Old Feb 7th 2007, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Newbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really nice

I moved to Brisbane in January with a two year old, I have just put in an offer on a house in Bellbowrie its about a 30-45 min commute to CBD and the schools have a really good rep. I wanted a 4 bed, pool, big garden etc and for between 400-500 you can get a really good house. Bellbowrie is on the bus route to CBD and it seems to be really popular. Hope this helps. (I spent 6 months on the internet before we came trying to decide where to live, and after watching the property market It seemed that the houses in Bellbowrie sold really fast)
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:03 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by aussiewannabe
That sounds lovely and It sounds as though the landscape/ areas are very varied. Theres so much to look for.
Is there everything you need there, i.e cheap food, docs, school and do you get alot of "wildlife" if so how do you / your daughter cope?

Thanks for all your help
The Lees
We have all the conveniences we need, although if we wanted anything fancier than pub grub when eating out then we'd be struggling. There is an IGA (supermarket) and bottle shop locally so that covers provisions, there's a doctor close by and the nearest hospital is about 25K away. We have found local plumbers, electricians and other handymen pretty easily.

Our daughter is still at childcare two days a week which, for logistical reasons, is situated about halfway between home and work at Mount Gravatt. It means a bit of car-juggling sometimes (one baby-friendly car, one not) but it works.

It would be nice to have a train stop close by but they closed the local line a fair number of years back although there is talk of it reopening ... then will REALLY be a boom time and the place will probably change significantly (for the worse in all liklihood).

The express from Loganlea takes about 45 minutes into the CBD so that is always a good back-up plan, you usually get a seat too (nice change from commuting into London ...).

Wildlife is abundant, we has redbacks in the garage when we moved in which had to be persuaded to leave. I'd imagine if you were into birdwatching then you just wouldn't leave the garden. We also have 4 chickens who keep the little 'un entertained.

We regularly see wild ducks wandering across the garden along with possums and the occasional wallaby (it probably helps that we have no cats or dogs). We tend to leave large parts of the yards 'rough' so this encourages the critters a bit more. Especially goannas (large lizard types), they are great fun. We back onto a creek so if I ever feel the need to test my insect repellent then that is where I go around twilight!

Lord knows what is living in our roof but it seems happy enough ...

I think it's a great place to bring up kids (or just chill out) so we are happy with the distance/convenience compromise.

Downsides are few and minor for us : tank-water only (an adjustment but worth it), very little public transport, trail bikes at the weekends (try and avoid 'em, I challenge you).

My advice is to take your time and have a drive around until something feels right, we spent a fair amount of time doing just that and kept finding ourselves in the same area.

Cheers,
Matt
Old Feb 8th 2007, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

aussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
We have all the conveniences we need, although if we wanted anything fancier than pub grub when eating out then we'd be struggling. There is an IGA (supermarket) and bottle shop locally so that covers provisions, there's a doctor close by and the nearest hospital is about 25K away. We have found local plumbers, electricians and other handymen pretty easily.

Our daughter is still at childcare two days a week which, for logistical reasons, is situated about halfway between home and work at Mount Gravatt. It means a bit of car-juggling sometimes (one baby-friendly car, one not) but it works.

It would be nice to have a train stop close by but they closed the local line a fair number of years back although there is talk of it reopening ... then will REALLY be a boom time and the place will probably change significantly (for the worse in all liklihood).

The express from Loganlea takes about 45 minutes into the CBD so that is always a good back-up plan, you usually get a seat too (nice change from commuting into London ...).

Wildlife is abundant, we has redbacks in the garage when we moved in which had to be persuaded to leave. I'd imagine if you were into birdwatching then you just wouldn't leave the garden. We also have 4 chickens who keep the little 'un entertained.

We regularly see wild ducks wandering across the garden along with possums and the occasional wallaby (it probably helps that we have no cats or dogs). We tend to leave large parts of the yards 'rough' so this encourages the critters a bit more. Especially goannas (large lizard types), they are great fun. We back onto a creek so if I ever feel the need to test my insect repellent then that is where I go around twilight!

Lord knows what is living in our roof but it seems happy enough ...

I think it's a great place to bring up kids (or just chill out) so we are happy with the distance/convenience compromise.

Downsides are few and minor for us : tank-water only (an adjustment but worth it), very little public transport, trail bikes at the weekends (try and avoid 'em, I challenge you).

My advice is to take your time and have a drive around until something feels right, we spent a fair amount of time doing just that and kept finding ourselves in the same area.

Cheers,
Matt
Thanks for the time taken to make this post, its given me a really good idea about the,~(which we will def be checking out) and set my mind to rest about living with bugs. We have been looking at more inland properties as there is much better value for money.
Our family is definately looking to spend more time outside as a family so bike rides sound great, as does wildlife spotting!

I just cant wait now