Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to Live in Brisbane?

Where to Live in Brisbane?

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough
Default Where to Live in Brisbane?

I have looked through the archives at Brisbane suburbs, but could find no reference to Brighton/Sandgate. Can anyone offer advice? Facilities/commuting times to cbd and any other general comments.

Visa in place,contracts exchanged on our house sale and flight booked for end of January.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

sorry cant help ,but try looking on the ljhooker site,for real estate as they give lots of indepth info on areas.
good luck
donna
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you had a look on www.ourbrisbane.com they give profiles on individual suburbs, pretty sure Brighton is on there.

Michaela
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cool

ourbrisbane.com.au is an excellent site and gives good factual info. but I was more wondering about the personal stuff, i.e. is it nice/whats the crime rate like etc.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where to Live in Brisbane?

Originally posted by ScuntoBris
I have looked through the archives at Brisbane suburbs, but could find no reference to Brighton/Sandgate. Can anyone offer advice? Facilities/commuting times to cbd and any other general comments.

Visa in place,contracts exchanged on our house sale and flight booked for end of January.
There was a good post on this a couple of weeks ago, about the different areas in Brisbane and I found a really good website with pictures info etc. I'll have a look through my massive list of favourites and get back to you with it.

Sandy
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Found it!!

http://www.sandgate.org.au/

Regards

sandy.l
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:15 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Scun, unless its changed alot in the last few years, I think you will find that its a reasonably good area, high proportion of elderly & retired people in the area. A lot of old qlders & heritage buildings. About 30 mins on the train into the city, a bit more by car particularly in peak hour. It has a small area of shops etc, nearest large shopping mall would probably be over the bridge in Kipparing.

If you are looking for exciting nightlife etc, it wouldnt be the place to move. But then not everyone is looking for that . Good luck.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:16 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandy.l
Found it!!

http://www.sandgate.org.au/

Regards

sandy.l
Sandy, good website
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you, this was what we were looking for, my uncle lives in Redcliffe and swears by it, but then I see somebody on this forum calls it deadcliffe, maybe not enough flashing lights?
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:46 pm
Rocket Scientist

Thank you, this was what we were looking for, my uncle lives in Redcliffe and swears by it, but then I see somebody on this forum calls it deadcliffe, maybe not enough flashing lights?
Exactly .
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Foggies is an unknown quantity at this point

we've just moved to Scarborough on the Redcliffe Peninsula from the outskirts of Hull, we've been here 8 weeks now and are really enjoying it. However, we realise it will not suit all age groups, we have a 14 year old and an 11 year old and have found it to have everything we want......so far! It's 30 minutes commuting distance for me to get to Ascot on the East side of Brisbane, Claire works on the peninsula, 5 mins down the road.
The Kippa Ring shopping centre is OK but Chermside is bigger/ better and is only 20 minutes away for us, we imagine it is only about the same distance from Brighton.

As for it being Deadcliffe, we think it's throwing that image off. A very forward looking council have ploughed a lot of money into the facilities although there is a bit of controversy about some developments along the waterfront ie developers want to cram as many units in as they can and the locals are revolting
Historically there was a lot of "council" housing (it's not called that here & we can't remember the correct term) but people have started to realise that it's a nice area to live in and there are lots of renovations happening and new houses being built but not in enormous estates such as Mango Hill & North Lakes.
The waterfront is great with clean beaches, a large (shark free :scared: ) lagoon ( great hit with kids of all ages), free BBQs, shaded areas etc.
Overall we're pleased with the choice we made but accept that Redcliffe is probably lacking in the wild nightlife department (there are however lots of good restaurants, cafes, bars etc)
The trouble is there are so many areas to chose from!
Redcliffe also has a web site: www.redcliffe.qld.gov.au
This is the Redcliffe promotion board signing off!

Good Luck.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 8:20 am
lynsteve

Cool Living in Brissy

Try a real estate site; realestate.com.au follow prompts via Queensland and go either north, east, west, or south. its a great site for looking at all real estate around australia. My brother in law lives at Wynnum east of Brissy on the coast, great spot but really booming price wise.

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks to the Foggies, good info, not like Scarborough, East Yorks then.

We are coming over from Scunthorpe, just over that expensive bridge from your previous life.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

I've just done a search on Realestate.com.au on Redcliffe and from what I've seen it must be an up and coming area as there is not a lot of property for sale.

Looks bloody lovely.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 12:51 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Where to Live in Brisbane?

Brighton - houses jammed packed in (looks a bit like a shanty town) on the up side of things it's on the right side of the bridge (wrong side of bridge is Deadcliffe - the hornibrook that leads into deadcliffe is a bottleneck) Brighton does not fall into Redcliffe city council area, it falls into sandgates council

Sandgate - better than Redcliffe for transportation (Redcliffe does not have a train - and the state gov has refused them, along with a badly needed bridge) . A lot of the area over in sandgate is falling down with old queenslanders - chipping paint - rotten wood. Age groups - Sandgate has plenty of youngsters - A friend of mine lives there in one of the old Queenslander houses - he was thinking of selling up to move to quiet pastures. Apart from that I can't comment too much on Sandgate/shorncliffe area, I've never lived there (visiting and living in an area are two different things) , just know the place to visit.

Redcliffe - lived there for just over two years until quite recently - a dump in my opinion, sort of a painted tart - false, but if you like flat, uninteresting small beaches it may suit some. The place is lined with greasy cafe's and pubs. Hoons - it's fourth in the greater Brisbane area for them after GC, SC and Logan - just remember Redcliffe is a very small place compared to the other three. Kippa- Ring shopping centre is very run down, has a sort of air of poverty about it.

About the snide comment of not enough lights , don't try and twist my comments.
- I think you'll find many. The place is too packed for my liking and the attitude of the council, spending money on painting the front and not enough on the drug problem, and police with their stupid radar guns (how's the drug bust going over there - they raided a few homes last week uncovered a drug ring) ..lol. funny really when council has needle bins in the toilets by the bridge.

If people are looking for "lights" to sell their wares, they may want to try Clontarf (it's in deadcliffe), last time I heard there were plans for a brothel in the industrial estate, the god squad were up in arms about it , all very funny. You had worried wives writing in saying "my husband works in the estate, what ever am I to do..etc, etc" - don't know if it has been put on hold, or stopped, but last year the council approved plans for the brothel to go ahead.

cheers
ex deadcliffe resident who can now breath. Each to their own, but if you think that place is beautiful and quiet it makes me think where you have lived in the UK to think that deadcliffe is beautiful.

(it's worse than mumbles in swansea, not a place I like either , for anyone who knows that area)

Anyway each to their own

Last edited by Ceri; Jan 6th 2004 at 2:59 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.