Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live? Back to the drawing board...

Where to live? Back to the drawing board...

Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

emmakc1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live? Back to the drawing board...

Hi everyone,

We should be getting our visas in the next few weeks (fingers crossed) and we did intend to move to Brisbane's Goldcoast but in the last few weeks I've spoken to four different people who have told me that I'd hate it as the weather is too hot! Not that it would bother me, there is such a thing as air con and as I work i an office I should be fine. However, my brother is a builder and my hubbie is an electrician so they might find it too hot.

Also, a friend lives in Newcastle and has said that they can sort out jobs for the boys so this would be a massive help but from reading the forums people don't seem to like Newcastle too much?

So now I'm back to the drawing board, have no idea where abouts to go or where to even start (hubbie and I haven't even been to Oz for a holiday yet)!

Sorry for the moan!
Ems:curse:
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Uuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Where to live? Back to the drawing board...

Originally Posted by emmakc1977
Hi everyone,

We should be getting our visas in the next few weeks (fingers crossed) and we did intend to move to Brisbane's Goldcoast but in the last few weeks I've spoken to four different people who have told me that I'd hate it as the weather is too hot! Not that it would bother me, there is such a thing as air con and as I work i an office I should be fine. However, my brother is a builder and my hubbie is an electrician so they might find it too hot.

Also, a friend lives in Newcastle and has said that they can sort out jobs for the boys so this would be a massive help but from reading the forums people don't seem to like Newcastle too much?

So now I'm back to the drawing board, have no idea where abouts to go or where to even start (hubbie and I haven't even been to Oz for a holiday yet)!

Sorry for the moan!
Know the feeling. I was planning on Perth but all the bad mouthing on these Forums is leading me to reconsider and head possibly to Adelaide. I suppose, wherever you go you will be renting for a while and at least you can head somewhere else if its not your cup of tea
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

That's true, although our little boy will be at school so we won't be able to disrupt him too much - shame we didn't go a couple of years ago when he didn't have to go to nursery/school!

I liked to look of adelaide but apparently there are lots of sharks there. My dad and brother surf/dive (they are also emigrating) so Adelaide has never really been an option for us. Apparently the house prices are really cheap there though?
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

KatChristie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Im having the same dilema have looked at each city a hundred times and still cant decide. I cant afford to go out and have a look plus my daughters in school and dont really fancy doing the plane journey too many times!

The general opinion seems to be,
Brisbane- Good for familys, plenty of work, affordable rents and lots to do. But some people are put off by the gold coast and over development.
Perth - Great if you like the outdoors and laid back lifestyle but lacks depth and culture
Adelaide- quieter city
Tasmania- great for a holiday but perhaps not to live due to isolation
Melborne and Sydney lively but expensive

I cant make my mind up but adelaide is at the top of my list followed by brisbane and tas in third position.
Good luck!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Its the heat that has put my family off - surely though its hot everywhere in Australia???
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, meant to say put them off Brisbane!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Its the heat that has put my family off - surely though its hot everywhere in Australia???
Mostly yes (apart from Tassy maybe), but QLD tends to have a tropical humidity that can be very uncomfortable, especially as you head further north into the, er, well, tropics really...
Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

and believe me even in Air-conditioned offices they all bitch and moan that it's too cold because the air-con's on!!!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

bethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nice

we went to brisbane on our rekkie at the hottest time to see if we could stand, it was hot but bearable, we go back permanently in 5 months!!!!
yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

beth
Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

GreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really nice

If you look at the Temp in Brisbane and compare it with the other Oz cities you may be surprised to find that its fairly stable in summer and peaks are lower than the cities and in winter the temp is stable around 16 - 20 (daytime) and a bit warmer than the other cities, However Brisbane does not reach the temps of 40+ like the other cities in summer its more like a nice stable 32 - 35c
Old Apr 17th 2007, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

sam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nice

Sorry, meant to say put them off Brisbane!
dont be put off by the heat! i'm in construction and found that you will adjust to the heat over a few weeks! simple rules ''hat at all times outside,sunglasses,plenty of hydrating cordial'' that you can buy everywhere! and i'm a half ginger!! ha ha.it has to be queensland for you if the lads like there diving its paradise for the outdoor lifestyle! try mackay loads of work at top dollar and you have the whitsunday islands,airlie beach,cape hillsbrough,bowen just up the road and a short flight to brisbane!''cheap to''
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, I just googled mackay as I'd never heard of it and it looks wonderful!! Dad and brother are builders (cabinet makers by trade but now do renovations and extension etc) and hubbie is a sparks - do you think there is plenty of work out there?

I supposed, once we find a place the next hurdle will be getting them licences to actually work!!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

[/QUOTE] Also, a friend lives in Newcastle and has said that they can sort out jobs for the boys so this would be a massive help but from reading the forums people don't seem to like Newcastle too much? [/QUOTE]

It seems to me that the people who don't like it don't live here. We live in the Newcastle area and absolutely love it. As do several other expats.
Does your friend that lives here not like it? It doesn't have a great reputation and I think if you visit the place briefly without a local to show you around it would be pretty easy to think the place is a dump. There is a lot more to the area than the City Centre. For a little bit of information on house prices and some pictures of the area go to www.stickybeek.com.au. There are links to different things in the area so don't write it off yet.
Julie
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

No, they absolutely love it although they are Austrlian and were raised in taht area. I've never been there (my parents have and my dad said its lovely there) just there alway seems to be negative posts on it?
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:32 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the moan!
what attracted you to the gold coast initially ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.