Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where To Live In Australia????

Where To Live In Australia????

Old Oct 19th 2004, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Jules In The Nile is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where To Live In Australia????

I am one of those very lucky people who have been granted their visa to live out in Oz for possibly the rest of my life. My lovely aunt & uncle assisted me with my visa and I owe everything to them for helping to get out there, however being based in Canberra is not really a place Id like to live, being a new single person and wanting to make new friends and start a new life. I'd love to hear otherwise if Canberra has a good social life etc. However another option is living up the Central Coast where I can commute by trian to Sydney to work and drive approx 2.5 to 3 hrs away from my family which isnt alot when you base on the size of the country.
Id love to hear from anyone who rents in the Central Coast area - what the jobs, social life, cost of living is like. At the end of the day I havent given up a fab job, great social life to live in an area with little going on.
Slso any good tips on where to travel in two weeks would be great, friend and I are planning to do a little travelling from Sydney to help me settle in.

Hope to hear everyones comments good or bad!!!

Jules in the nile
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

HeatherandTim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where To Live In Australia????

Originally Posted by Jules In The Nile
I am one of those very lucky people who have been granted their visa to live out in Oz for possibly the rest of my life. My lovely aunt & uncle assisted me with my visa and I owe everything to them for helping to get out there, however being based in Canberra is not really a place Id like to live, being a new single person and wanting to make new friends and start a new life. I'd love to hear otherwise if Canberra has a good social life etc. However another option is living up the Central Coast where I can commute by trian to Sydney to work and drive approx 2.5 to 3 hrs away from my family which isnt alot when you base on the size of the country.
Id love to hear from anyone who rents in the Central Coast area - what the jobs, social life, cost of living is like. At the end of the day I havent given up a fab job, great social life to live in an area with little going on.
Slso any good tips on where to travel in two weeks would be great, friend and I are planning to do a little travelling from Sydney to help me settle in.

Jules in the nile
Hi Jules
My advice to you as a single person would be to go somewhere where there is some life. I've lived in Sydney for 8 years now and I think a great place would be Manly. Its easy to get to the city if you get work there and its a great place to live. The central Coast in comparison is alot quieter.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HeatherandTim
Hi Jules
My advice to you as a single person would be to go somewhere where there is some life. I've lived in Sydney for 8 years now and I think a great place would be Manly. Its easy to get to the city if you get work there and its a great place to live. The central Coast in comparison is alot quieter.
Thank you for your advise, is Manly expensive when it comes to renting?
Old Oct 20th 2004, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Jules in the nile
If you're single and want to find other single people for a decent social life then the central coast is unlikely to be best place. Parts of it are gorgeous but the inland areas are real western-suburbs-by-sea and mostly populated by young families. And Canberra is 3 hours from Sydney - so from the Central coast would at least an hour longer. The commute to Sydney for work is not something you should undertake lightly - it can be a real killer.

You want to go where the other singles are and that means Eastern suburbs, lower North shore or Manly. Rents in the east start from around $300 for a basic 2 b/r apartment. Probably similar in the other inner suburbs. Why don't you look for a flat-share to begin with? It's the best way to meet new people.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nickyc
If you're single and want to find other single people for a decent social life then the central coast is unlikely to be best place. Parts of it are gorgeous but the inland areas are real western-suburbs-by-sea and mostly populated by young families. And Canberra is 3 hours from Sydney - so from the Central coast would at least an hour longer. The commute to Sydney for work is not something you should undertake lightly - it can be a real killer.

You want to go where the other singles are and that means Eastern suburbs, lower North shore or Manly. Rents in the east start from around $300 for a basic 2 b/r apartment. Probably similar in the other inner suburbs. Why don't you look for a flat-share to begin with? It's the best way to meet new people.
Thanks for your help, Ill have a look around the North shore or Manly
Old Oct 20th 2004, 2:30 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help, Ill have a look around the North shore or Manly
NickyC said lower North Shore....this is important cause Upper North Shore doesn't have that much in the way of nightlife or nightlife transport. Along with Manly, check out Bondi and some central suburbs near the CBD, especially if considering flat share which as above I agree would be a great way to start.