Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where to live in Aus

where to live in Aus

Old Nov 10th 2002, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Smile where to live in Aus

Hi Guys,

Well we have logged our skills assesment and are coming our to Aus for the first time on Christmas eve.

We will be in Perth for 8 nights
adelaide
Sydney
Brisbane (Noosa) and then Byron Bay)

can any of you advise me, where we should go and see in these places to get an idea of what it's like to live there.

We will check out estate agents done on net
employment agents for work Husband is a Joiner

we also want info on what to do and things to see, we have booked surfing lessons in perth, Greeters in Adelaide

If you could help I would appreciate it

Carrianne
Old Nov 10th 2002, 11:40 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - I know you gave a lot of information about your travel plans - but just give a little more about yourselves - age group - couple, kids?, what your likes and dislikes are - do you like pubs, clubs, etc. I am living in Sydney and know a bit about where I live, Northern suburbs, schools etc, but it might not be what you are looking for. Contact me direct via the website and I can let you know a little more on my area of Sydney but there might be a few others who can help as well.

cheers
Old Nov 10th 2002, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi Sandra,

I am 29 my husband is 24, we like pubs but not really in the club scene now. My friend lived in Cronulla for 2 years and is now a citizen. Rather than City I am more a suburban beach girl.

We would like to live in a place close to the beach, nice area and not a great deal of crime.

I hope you can help, as I am not sure where to loon in Sydney. I have some research on Perth.

Thank you

Carrianne x
Old Nov 10th 2002, 12:02 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Cronulla is great, recommedations from people in work, I live the other side of the harbour, Northern Suburbs, 20 mins from Mona Vale beach area in St Ives, a little 'family' maybe for your needs, we are a family of four, kids 10 and 12 years so we might have a different slant. Sydney is expensive but there are great places to live. 'Jasmin' on this site might be able to add to this thread, she and her husband are newly arrived and enjoying finding things out!

Over this side if you like beaches and nightlife then look for Manly accommodation - ferries into Sydney etc, can be expensive, also further up Narabeen for a more suburb orientation.

If you are looking for temp accomodation here, it depends on what you want to spend. We stayed for $100 a night in a double bed apartment in Hornsby - fully furnished apartment, 40 min commute into Sydney but might give you an idea of one of the many areas of Sydney. On a train line and more affordable than some areas.

Again I am limited in my knowledge - all North Syndey! I am sure there are others that can help. But if I can find any specifics out for you let me know.

cheers
Old Nov 10th 2002, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default thanks

All area sound good I work for a company here that has a big place in Sydney and possibiltiy of a transfer.

manly does sound nice well they all do.

What would your key places be for us to visit for homes??

Can you give me some things I must see while in Sydney ??

regards

Carrianne
Old Nov 10th 2002, 12:29 pm
Gone Senile Member

Real Tourist Stuff

AMP Tower - self service restaurant for lunch - revolving view of Sydney, like the old Post Office Tower, but they serve, kangaroo meat etc, as well as other more edible fare.

Darling Harbour - lots to walk round and see, shop around for ferry trips to see the harbour - the good one is get the local ferry fares up to homebush bay, Olympic site etc. But others are nice too if a little tourist priced.

Opera House to the The Rocks - just a nice walk, all very interesting, very touristy (pricey' but nice, a market just behind Sats and Sun.

Bondi - then walk South, there is a path all the way down round the coast, and different inlets and beaches - but be prepared to walk!

Walk Syndey - with a map and enjoy - we see something new all the time.

Northern Beaches - up from Manly - every one a gem - we are still enjoying each new one we visit.

Depending on time - Blue Mountains - can do it on an adult return about $36 on the train from Sydney for a day, but worth staying over.

Pick up a brochure - like a little booklet - Out and about in Syndey, they have loads of details and some money off tokens - free, I got my latest in Darling harbour this Sunday form the ferry bookers, I am still the tourist!!! Check out Jasmins threads

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=Jasmin

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=Jasmin

Do you like bush walks? Anyway let me know how it goes - contact me via the website for more of the same drivel!!!!

For homes - I check the general websites, I have much different needs than yourself. But without going into to your personal details here it depends on your needs and money!

Transfer from work - do contact me directly, cause I went through the same thing and might be able to give you some pointers, I am IT, and if you post a thread on the options there, there are others as well that can give you good advice.

cheers

Last edited by Sandra; Nov 10th 2002 at 12:31 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2002, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

thanks

Sandra,

will do
Old Nov 12th 2002, 12:46 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to live in Aus

Put money on it you will end up in Pommie town Perth , 40,000 poms came last year most think its Manchester by the sea, loads of building work here too.

Old Nov 12th 2002, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Put money on it you will end up in Pommie town Perth , 40,000 poms came last year most think its Manchester by the sea, loads of building work here too.

Depending on what your budget is, Perth is a lot cheaper than Sydney. It is a lot quieter though, but just a beautiful...in my opinion anyway. PB am i gonna be over run by you guys...oh dear, do you have any more pommy mates at the OB that I can hook up with when I get there, maybe they can hold your money for my drinks ...just kidding
Old Nov 12th 2002, 1:40 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by suebo
Depending on what your budget is, Perth is a lot cheaper than Sydney. It is a lot quieter though, but just a beautiful...in my opinion anyway. PB am i gonna be over run by you guys...oh dear, do you have any more pommy mates at the OB that I can hook up with when I get there, maybe they can hold your money for my drinks ...just kidding

Far too many Pommie mates , but also got a good few locals as mates , anyway Steve will have that drink waiting for you look for tall guy balding hes the bar manager and owners son inlaw ,Man Utd fan okay apart from that .
Old Nov 12th 2002, 3:37 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Carrianne
Hi Guys,

Well we have logged our skills assesment and are coming our to Aus for the first time on Christmas eve.

We will be in Perth for 8 nights
adelaide
Sydney
Brisbane (Noosa) and then Byron Bay)

can any of you advise me, where we should go and see in these places to get an idea of what it's like to live there.

Carrianne
Hi,
Noosa/Brisbane , things to do :
If you like walking and the sea... take a walk through Noosa national park... there is a walking track cut out which runs along side the sea /cliffs. Beautiful.

Noosa is full of bars, cafe's, shops ... very touristy. And get's busy in the summer months here.. so if you are planning to take a trip there around Christmas... you may well want to book up your accommodation well in advance, as most of the motels and rentals are full around this time of year. It's a popular Holiday place for Brisbane folk and queenslanders at Christmas time.(most of the tourists places in Queensland are very busy around Christmas, as this is when most people holiday here)

Also if you're up that end... underwater world in Mooloolaba, where you can view sharks, and if you book up... get into the tank with them... I went there last year... but didn't do the shark dive (you need to book it in advance during peak times of the year)
here's the web site for this
http://www.queensland-holidays.com.a...02472/main.htm ... I think there is also a link on this website to the queensland tourist board.

Australia zoo (The croc Hunters park) Glasshouse Mountains, Beerwah , sunshine coast.
http://www.crocodilehunter.com/austr...come/index.htm

If you've got time on your hands.. and want to visit , drive to Urangan... that's another touristy spot... you could also go over to Fraser Island ... the local travel agents in Uragan can tell you more, for accommodation, and tours over there.

If you want to travel down the coast closer to Brisbane... take a day trip to North Stradbroke Island
http://www.redland.net.au/redlandsto...Stradbroke.htm
This I can recommend (I go there quite often myself) .. rather than Fraser Island. (Fraser Island you need a 4 wheel drive, and a couple of nights to spare)... Stradbroke.. you can do this for a day trip and take the car, or walk onto the passenger ferry (not really recommended.. as you really need a car to drive around the Island). If you go early in the morning , you can spend the day there... and come back on the last ferry out of there. Plenty of beaches etc over there, and there's a pub/hotel overlooking the beach.. where you can get food.. and sink a few cold ones

cheers

Living in Brisbane.. I wouldn't recommend it myself, Noosa is good... but it's not where the work is for most people, ok if your in the Tourist trade or something. I prefered Newcastle in NSW which is a couple of hours drive from Sydney
Old Nov 12th 2002, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Far too many Pommie mates , but also got a good few locals as mates , anyway Steve will have that drink waiting for you look for tall guy balding hes the bar manager and owners son inlaw ,Man Utd fan okay apart from that .
Thanks honey, will be on the lookout for him, still a shame that you are not going to be there Would have loved to meet you and the family

Last edited by suebo; Nov 12th 2002 at 4:26 am.
Old Nov 12th 2002, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for your replies everyone. We have now booked our accomodation fo the noosa -Byron bay part. We only have a day in each unfortunaltey.

So thought we would

fly to brisbane pick up hire car early am - drive to Australia Zoo, then from there drive across to Noosa - spend the evening and morning there. Ge the car drive down th coast to Byron bay - stay there the night and most of the day then drive back to Brisbane for our flight about 6pm

Carrianne x
Old Nov 13th 2002, 2:36 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Carrianne
Thanks for your replies everyone. We have now booked our accomodation fo the noosa -Byron bay part. We only have a day in each unfortunaltey.

So thought we would

fly to brisbane pick up hire car early am - drive to Australia Zoo, then from there drive across to Noosa - spend the evening and morning there. Ge the car drive down th coast to Byron bay - stay there the night and most of the day then drive back to Brisbane for our flight about 6pm

Carrianne x
If you're driving up to Noosa... on your way up, there's a big pub just by the motorway.... it's a sort of a tourist attraction, and a shop wich sells all the Aussie beers, nic and nacs etc... also next to it there's a park "Aussie world" I think it's called.
I can't remember the name of this pub, but you can't miss seeing the thing from the motorway (big place)

Perhaps someone else here can remember it's name (and no I have got drunk in there and forgotten it's name ). I've never been in that pub... it's more of a tourist attraction, might be worth a look though, for a spot of lunch or something.

Noosa.. there are a few hire boats around that area.. which you could rent for an hour ,to cruise the river... don't know how much they cost... as I own my own boat.

cheers
Old Nov 13th 2002, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

aussie bloke is on a distinguished road

http://teachit.acreekps.vic.edu.au/c...r/ettamoga.htm
try this site for the Pub that Ceri refers to. although this is the one in NSW. the one in Queensland is the second one built. (same)
31 deg in Perth now forcast 37 for tomorrow, might go to the beach for a swim after work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.