Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where to live in and around melbourne

where to live in and around melbourne

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

helen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nicehelen roberts is just really nice
Default where to live in and around melbourne

Hi Everyone

I know there are loads of posts about this topic (have read them all) but eveyone's needs are slightly different so was wondering if anyone can answer my questions! We are in Melbourne at the moment looking at possible places to live. My husband will (probably) be working in the CBD so don't really want a huge commute but properties within a reasonable commuting distance just seem either too expensive or too small. We have two young children so we would like to be quite near a decent beach. We'd also (ideally) like a fairly large 4 bed place as, like most expats, we will be having family to stay! Would also quite like a bit of cafe culture...am I asking too much. We drove down to Frankston today and were disappointed - not really for us. Liked Glen Waveley but houses looked quite small in our price range. Any advice anyone out there??!!!

Thanks so much

Helen

Oh, forgot to add - we're looking between $500,000 and $700,000

Helen
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:53 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: where to live in and around melbourne

Originally Posted by helen roberts
Hi Everyone

I know there are loads of posts about this topic (have read them all) but eveyone's needs are slightly different so was wondering if anyone can answer my questions! We are in Melbourne at the moment looking at possible places to live. My husband will (probably) be working in the CBD so don't really want a huge commute but properties within a reasonable commuting distance just seem either too expensive or too small. We have two young children so we would like to be quite near a decent beach. We'd also (ideally) like a fairly large 4 bed place as, like most expats, we will be having family to stay! Would also quite like a bit of cafe culture...am I asking too much. We drove down to Frankston today and were disappointed - not really for us. Liked Glen Waveley but houses looked quite small in our price range. Any advice anyone out there??!!!

Thanks so much

Helen

Oh, forgot to add - we're looking between $500,000 and $700,000

Helen
something like this? http://www.realestateview.com.au/cgi...10&Thu=&Qui=n#

you sound to me like you are describing Mentone ( highway side) - Aspendale for the cafe lifestyle/ 4 bed large/ short commute near to beaches.

We live in Parkdale (highway side) , 15 min walk to the station,20 min walk to the beach, cafes in walking distance everywhere, great for kids so many parks around. We paid $425K last Feb for a 4 bed, 2 bath, swimming pool, court location park 3 doors away think you would pay around $550k now for the same house. It needed a bit of aesthetic work on it and the pool was old (now renovated) so with your budget you would not have a problem.

Lived for 3+ years in Beaumaris and the kids still go to school there, this is a lovely area but would struggle on the budget you have said. We figured if crossing the highway and going 2 stops further on the line to the city knocked $300K off the price of a house it suited us fine.

Good luck with your search,

LJJ
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of
Default Re: where to live in and around melbourne

This might be useful. Had it a while but might give an overview. Hope it attaches ok!

Last edited by Sue; Aug 20th 2009 at 12:47 pm. Reason: Attachment removed. It breached copyright and publisher asked for its removal.