Reload this Page >

Where to live around Christchurch?

Where to live around Christchurch?

Old Feb 5th 2003, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sully4441
Hi to all online,
considering the very limiting subject that jajpe first posted 'where to live around christchurch' this thread has really took off. Just recovered from 2 shocks, 1. PC threw a major wobbler, had to reinstall windows and all that goes with it, internet, email etc, and 2. the price of the tickets to NZ for July/Aug. Quoted £830! Moved the visit to one month earlier, just before school hols and £630 ish. Phew. Moved our leave days and kt gets an extra few weeks hols. Planning in earnest now. Will use info gained from here. We will fly into Christchurch, chill out, hire a car and drive to Aukland for the return flight home. We intend to book nearly everything before we go. Any thoughts? Will there be a problem if we leave some of the later room bookings till the last min. ie as we drive up?
cheers
Lee

www.nz-accommodation.co.nz is a good AA site listing all types of accommodation from plush hotels to campsites. Shouldn't have too much problem finding something at the time you are going, the busiest time is over the Christmas period(summer).

Lizzie
Old Feb 5th 2003, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sashimi

My sentiments exactly, more NZ info definitely needed.

What was it your husband didn't like about Christchurch? Might be useful for the rest of us, so we can be prepared.

How's the job search going, no luck so far?

Just read in the latest edition of NZ Outlook, the newspaper for emigrants, an interview with an IT head honcho who said NZ was being held back from developing it's IT Sector because of the lack of skilled people. Sometimes wonder why they still seem to be reluctant to employ non-nz'ers if that's the case. They can't have it both ways, I should think.

sashimi
Before he departed for Chch we had been lead to believe by friends who had visited the city that it was very "small town", a bit like towns here 30 years ago. When he arrived we had booked him into a motel pretty much in the centre and his initial reaction was it was more like Manchester! (yuk!). He has had mixed reaction from the Kiwis - people who have nothing to gain from him such as checkout operators in shops, bank clerks, general people in the street have been very friendly and interested to talk to him. (I should add my partner is a very sociable person and could talk the hind legs off a donkey!) Staff in several key employment agencies in Chch have been particularly aloof towards him, he's gone into their offices in order to make appointments to chat with them about his/their requirements and they couldn't even lift their heads up from what they were doing ... hmm. Additionally, there have been one or two people (friends of friends) who have the attitude that all immigrants should go home and leave the jobs for Kiwis.

People talk about the "laid back" attitude of the Kiwis - this may be true of some, but it's a rat race there just as it is here. People are just as busy going about their business.

The driving came as a shock also - pretty maniacal on occasions, he was also amazed at the "hooning" that goes on.

Having said all this, once he ventured out of the city to the suburbs he realised some of the other side of NZ - the space, the beauty, the more relaxed pace and a pleasant environment to bring up children. He's very quickly made some good friends which is great and they are able to show him how life could be for us in Chch. Which just leaves the job ...hmmmm!

Admittedly he did go there at a very bad time, arriving just before the Christmas break when most places close down or do very little on the hiring and firing front. Now it will seem as though I am blowing his trumpet, but he is a very talented embedded software programmer, a good communicator and with many years experience but despite tens of applications he has yet to get an interview. We are limiting our chances somewhat in that we don't want to go to the North Island (Auckland would seem to have more opportunities) but we are finding it really strange to keep being knocked back when some of the jobs would appear to have been made for him. In fact, some of the companies continue to advertise week in, week out for the same vacancies for which he has been turned down because "they have candidates who more closely match their criteria" It is hellish frustrating and not a little worrying. If anyone has any suggestions I would be pleased to hear them (I would add he has been trying to bypass the agencies and go direct to the companies, even turning up at their doors).

It is a little irritating for us therefore to be told that NZ is short of skilled IT'ers when they have a bloody good one under their noses and they aren't interested. His JSV runs out in May, so we still have a few months yet but it is a panicky situation.

I don't want to put anyone off, everyone's situation is very different and some people are born lucky - me on the otherhand, well it's typical - everything always goes to the wire!

Lizzie
Old Feb 5th 2003, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by lizzie
Can I make a tentative request for tolerance of people's opinions? There has been for too long precious little information on life in NZ on this Forum (the Oz side has practically had it to themselves). Now that a few other NZ and NZ wannabee posters have joined the Forum things are livening up a little.

I actually am interested in hearing both sides of the story (Jaffa30's and Muppetking's). I remember as a newbie to this site some 12 months ago I had a vision of NZ as the answer to all my dreams, this was gained from information in glossy brochures and friends who had visited as tourists. The reality is sh*t happens in NZ just as it does elsewhere and it doesn't harm to comment on this. By the same token the wonderful aspects of the place should also be noted.

My partner has been in Chch for 3 months now. For the first two weeks he hated it, it wasn't how we had been lead to believe and he thought he would come home. Now, some 10 weeks later the place has grown on him so much that he just doesn't want to come home and we can't wait to join him - job willing!

So, come on everyone, let's continue posting our thoughts/opinions/news/ideas on here and just accept it as that, our opinion.

Lizzie (a sucker for all NZ info.)
Thankyou Lizzie...I seem to have attracted a lot of personal attacks for voicing my opinion......which I assumed was the point of this Forum!
Old Feb 5th 2003, 6:07 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

...etc
I don't want to put anyone off, everyone's situation is very different and some people are born lucky - me on the otherhand, well it's typical - everything always goes to the wire!

Lizzie
Lizzie - I'm thinking positive thoughts for you both. Good luck. (The harder you try, the luckier you get - sounds like your partner is pressing the right buttons etc.)

Don
Old Feb 5th 2003, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
i'd also like to ask the same question of paula. was there anthing which surprised/disappointed you when you arrived and in those first few weeks? have any of your initial feelings about the place changed since you got there. i know even from being to different places on holidays that my mental pictures of places we go are often way out! sometimes worse sometimes better so i am trying not to visualise things too much until we go although it is impossible not to try to imagine.....

Hi,

Had a good think about this one. The friendliness off Kiwis took me by surprise a bit. I had been told about it but it took a bit of getting used to. When you go to the supermarket the cashiers say things like "hi, how are you? are you having a good day? or doing anything nice the weekend?" I know its probably only company policy, (before someone spouts "they are only keeping you sweet") but its still way different to how I used to get treated in shops in the UK. The cleanliness of the place is quite striking. Although I have to say that if you go to a very popular/tourist beach they are good but the local less popular ones seem to be very frequented by dog walkers who don't clean up after their dogs!!! Which suprised me because I've hardly seen any dog mess on the pavements!
Despite the friendliness of all the other kiwis we have met, Ian has had difficulty settling at work. He was transferred from a UK parent company and has been landed in the middle of some big time works politics. Also he is very isolated and does not get the opportunity to spend breaktimes with other staff making him feel very segregated. So that has been a bit disapointing, but we are taking steps to make changes.

School is going well so far, although it is very early days. Jack is enjoying it very much. I am watching carefully at the moment it seems they are doing a lot of 'practising of old' and not much 'learning of new'
Reading gets a lot of emphasis here and they seem quite happy to stretch him with the standard of books he has been bringing home (5 books in 6 days) Maths seems the slowest to get started but as I said its early days.

Oh and the posts between me and JWW were just a bit of fun I hope they came across that way!!!

Paula
Can't disagree with much you've said there Paula! But the 'Having a good day' reply not only gets tiresome I find, but when you bother to reply and be a little more expansive you get looked at as if you're mad! 'Jeez mate, it was only a question'. I am sorry to hear your husband isn't fully settled. I hope it comes together soon.
Old Feb 5th 2003, 6:12 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by jajpe
paula thanks for your useful reply as usual.

just wondering from your post if you maybe find the friendliness of the kiwis a little tiresome or something. i can imagine that for me it might feel quite invasive if a complete stranger is persisting with questions about how i am feeling etc.. -i'm a bit shy me!!-

Hi Shirley,
You know I thought it would get on my nerves, I personally can't stand all that Americanised "have a nice day" crap, but its not like that. Its difficult to explain (without opening myself up to some snide remarks) but here goes. They sound like they mean it! Yesteday for instance. I walked to the local hardware shop with my daughter who rode her bike with her dolly on the back. When we got there the assistant chatted to my daughter asked her name and the dolly's name, gave the doll a kiss and a cuddle and gave them both a inky smiley face stamp on their hands. Once I was in Pak & save and a man in the queue entertained the kids with donald duck impressions! Often in our local supermarket the girls on the deli counter will give the kids a piece of luncheon meat to eat as they go round. A lot of shops have inky stamps they put on the kids hands at the checkouts or sometimes a sweet. One of the best times shopping was when I took both the kids with me to the supermarket on xmas eve, something I wouldn't even attempt in the Uk, but here it was not any busier than any other day. Also the other day I went to fill my car up and a man came and did it for me, took me by suprise a bit but it was really nice. I'm getting used to it now once you relax and go with the flow a bit and chat back its really nice.

maybe it's not like that at all. also glad that jack is getting on well at school and reassuring that the books he gets are challenging enough. our three are all good readers and i would like them to be able to keep that up.

Reading seems very popular. Never seen so many bookshops, even discount stores have a good range of quality books for children.

glad to hear that footpaths are relatively free of dog-dirt around christchurch. there is nothing that sends paul off on a rant quicker here than being out for a walk and having to tip-toe around the brown smelly stuff. especially when we were in the days of toddlers and double buggies!!

Excellent clean streets, pity it hasn't spread to small local beaches. Maybe because it is so amazingly clean everywhere else it makes it stand out so much. One thing that amazed me was when I used to take the kids for walks round Hagley Park (central Chch, a must see) the avon river runs straight through it, you can actually see to the bottom of the river I mean it is crystal clear! Maybe its because I'm from the midlands and am used to dirty canals but this amazed me.

what 's the weather like these days? hope you can keep some of the sunny days for april!!

Weather is still lovely, maybe getting a little cooler on the evenings sometimes. Its Waitangi day today, public holiday, and traditionally a nice day weatherwise. So far it looks like its going to be glorious. Will try and save some for you!

Paula
Old Feb 5th 2003, 6:56 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

Hi to all online,
considering the very limiting subject that jajpe first posted 'where to live around christchurch' this thread has really took off. Just recovered from 2 shocks, 1. PC threw a major wobbler, had to reinstall windows and all that goes with it, internet, email etc, and 2. the price of the tickets to NZ for July/Aug. Quoted £830! Moved the visit to one month earlier, just before school hols and £630 ish. Phew. Moved our leave days and kt gets an extra few weeks hols. Planning in earnest now. Will use info gained from here. We will fly into Christchurch, chill out, hire a car and drive to Aukland for the return flight home. We intend to book nearly everything before we go. Any thoughts? Will there be a problem if we leave some of the later room bookings till the last min. ie as we drive up?
cheers
Lee
Hi, just to let you know, that I am looking at the moment for flights to C/CH from London.
We are getting a one way flight, cos this time we are staying!! (yes, I'm a smug b*****d)

In June this year a flight will be £350 each. We found this on YAHOO/ travel.
http://www.yahoo.co.uk

Give it a go, one way is usually more than half a return!

On the other subject, we initially used ACE car rentals, very resonable & booked it on the net. can't remember the address, but they shouldn't be too hard to find.

We have just returned from our fact-finding mission over xmas & we managed to book everything as we went along & it was high season! although we cut it a bit fine once or twice.

When you get to C/ch, either find a tourist info office or an AA shop & get the AA accomodation guide book. It covers all NZ and lists all accomodaion from hostels to luxury hotels, tariffs & phone numbers. It worked for us.

Take your mobile phone & buy a vodafone sim card when you get there, to put in YOUR phone, it's only about $35. Saves finding payphones!

Good luck!
Old Feb 5th 2003, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

hi lizzie,
really hoping things pick up for you and soon!!

i have to say that reading your post made me feel more than a little nervous. we are hoping that i can can my hands on a job offer as a nurse in a three week holiday!! we have only 22 points so a job seekers visa is not even an option!! i'm starting to think that some of our friends are right and we have finally lost the plot. but on the other hand if your not in you can't win and it's something i feel we've definately got to try! we are dreamers too sashimi!

Paula, your reply to my friendlines question was very descriptive. it kindof reminded me of parts of northern ireland (yes we can be nice to each other here) especially in more rural areas where i was brought up. in fact i know a lot of people who have gone from here to nz would say it is very like what NI used to be like about 40 or even 50 years ago. of course i won't be able to make that comparison!!!

also can i just ask if you and muppetking have ever met in christchurch!! ?
Old Feb 5th 2003, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Alan,

always open to suggestions, especially the aa idea, but its getting pretty close now. When i provisionaly booked the flights we had the last 3 of 4 seats to get there and back on our dates, thats what the nice girl said anyway, I asked at another travel agents for the same dates and they couldn't get any, so probably true. Did you spot many classic British cars out there? Not that I want to hire one but I have a Austin Healey Frogeye I'm fond of, but I could grow fonder of a TR4 or 4a if I find one. Just a thought as I read how someone transported their motorbike to NZ. Wonder what it would cost? or are they on sale there. I've almost grown out of the motorbike phase, but I still need some fun.
Hope all goes well for you and family(?) I'm ready for the holiday, the rest can wait. I think you're right about booking as long as we get the first few days to week sorted the rest should take care of themselves, I hope.
Lee

Originally posted by garrisondamn
Hi, just to let you know, that I am looking at the moment for flights to C/CH from London.
We are getting a one way flight, cos this time we are staying!! (yes, I'm a smug b*****d)

In June this year a flight will be £350 each. We found this on YAHOO/ travel.
http://www.yahoo.co.uk

Give it a go, one way is usually more than half a return!

On the other subject, we initially used ACE car rentals, very resonable & booked it on the net. can't remember the address, but they shouldn't be too hard to find.

We have just returned from our fact-finding mission over xmas & we managed to book everything as we went along & it was high season! although we cut it a bit fine once or twice.

When you get to C/ch, either find a tourist info office or an AA shop & get the AA accomodation guide book. It covers all NZ and lists all accomodaion from hostels to luxury hotels, tariffs & phone numbers. It worked for us.

Take your mobile phone & buy a vodafone sim card when you get there, to put in YOUR phone, it's only about $35. Saves finding payphones!

Good luck!
Old Feb 5th 2003, 9:56 pm
on the road again member

travelling_kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to all online,
cheers
Lee
you'll be there in low season so don't panic about booking except the ferry crossing - make sure you book it at least 14 days pre-sailing. alans' suggestion of accomodation guide book is a good one. i've used lonely planet which is useful for the finer details, having said that it let me down a couple of times as businesses & prices etc change.
many classic cars like your AH are in collections so minimal chance of buying one there. but this means if you can contact the museum they may help you with suggestions here's a link to one guy who has imported quite a few cars from uk http://www.classiccarmuseum.co.nz/default.asp
Old Feb 5th 2003, 10:28 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Cheers Alan,

always open to suggestions, especially the aa idea, but its getting pretty close now. When i provisionaly booked the flights we had the last 3 of 4 seats to get there and back on our dates, thats what the nice girl said anyway, I asked at another travel agents for the same dates and they couldn't get any, so probably true. Did you spot many classic British cars out there? Not that I want to hire one but I have a Austin Healey Frogeye I'm fond of, but I could grow fonder of a TR4 or 4a if I find one. Just a thought as I read how someone transported their motorbike to NZ. Wonder what it would cost? or are they on sale there. I've almost grown out of the motorbike phase, but I still need some fun.
Hope all goes well for you and family(?) I'm ready for the holiday, the rest can wait. I think you're right about booking as long as we get the first few days to week sorted the rest should take care of themselves, I hope.
Lee
Lee,
If you bring in something tasty like an ah frogeye nzers will love it (1 more to the collection). I recently brought in a rather splendid 1998 kawasaki zrx1100 which was received very coolly as just another jap. The roads have lots of old british and american cars (compared to uk where mondeo clones rule the roads). Everything from austin 1100 to chev belair . I have seen 1950s american pick ups being used as working vehicles. There are many small companies specialising in classic/vintage/veteran vehicle restoration and many men I have met since arriving here a few months ago have a project of some sort on the go. One workmate owns a tr4 and is building 1910's side valve velo. Our mate the builder races a greeves in pre '72 bike racing and is successfully tempting me to come out to play. I did find a website months ago for a company selling a huge amount of classic vehicles but have lost the address. Try nz search engines. If I can be of any more help in this area just ask.

Ian
Old Feb 6th 2003, 12:09 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

also can i just ask if you and muppetking have ever met in christchurch!! ? [/QUOTE]

What a loaded question!!!!!

No we have never met I don't think we live in the same Christchurch though (JOKE!)

Paula
Old Feb 6th 2003, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
also can i just ask if you and muppetking have ever met in christchurch!! ?

What a loaded question!!!!!

No we have never met I don't think we live in the same Christchurch though (JOKE!)

Paula [/QUOTE]

Good point Paula,

It rarely sounds like the same place right enough!!

i was only joking too BTW-hope you weren't offended!

thanks to travelling kiwi for reminding me about the ferry crossing. we haven't booked that yet and our hoiday is in april. anyone got any tips or suggestions about which is the best choice of ferry etc. i know there are a few companies - is there normally a big difference in price or are there special offers at times we should be looking out for? what should we expect to pay for 2 adults and 3 kids (10, 9 and 7) no car and travelling from south to north also.

thanks
Old Feb 6th 2003, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Jaffa30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Hi Shirley

http://www.interislandline.co.nz/

this is a handy site which we've used before. on the left side of the screen, you just enter in your details and they give you a range of fares to choose from.

The Lynx is the fastest ferry (2hours 15 mins), while Arahura & Aratere are the slower ferrys (3 hours).

Old Feb 6th 2003, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lizzie,
Ta for the link will take a look today. Just back from Brum centre, nightmare and cold, paid for tickets. £1900 plus a few pence for the 3 of us with Singapore Airlines. Will book hotels in Christchurch for first week, as this is where we will be 'looking at' then hire a car and play it by ear up to Aukland. Have map, have ideas from this thread, will plan. Okay so it's only a holiday at the moment, but the furthest we ever ventured before was to Southern Spain, again and again and again........
June seems a long way off.
Cheers
Lee

www.nz-accommodation.co.nz is a good AA site listing all types of accommodation from plush hotels to campsites. Shouldn't have too much problem finding something at the time you are going, the busiest time is over the Christmas period(summer).

Lizzie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.