Where to live?

Old Mar 17th 2015, 1:46 pm
Banned

rose61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live?

We are looking for a sunny and pretty place, secure for the kids, close to the beach... Sydney is too expensive and choked with cars , my hubby does not like Melbourne and we think that Perth is too far from the East Coast ; the weather in Tasmania is too cold, Queensland seems to hot...

:*RosE*:
Old Mar 17th 2015, 1:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live?

Originally Posted by rose61
We are looking for a sunny and pretty place, secure for the kids, close to the beach... Sydney is too expensive and choked with cars , my hubby does not like Melbourne and we think that Perth is too far from the East Coast ; the weather in Tasmania is too cold, Queensland seems to hot...

I've moved your post to its own thread, more likely to get answers this way.

Do you have a visa? Where are you and/or your partner likely to find work?
Old Mar 17th 2015, 2:11 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Somewhere other than Australia.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Somewhere other than Australia.
Yep. See ya.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 2:47 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

That post sounds like it's from one of the quizzes on Radio 4.

Are there any hints?

I once visited the main island in Samoa. It is a sunny & pretty place. Nowhere is far from the beach. Crime rates are low - families/kids seen out late at night. Fairly moderate climate year round and certainly not choked with cars.

Is that the answer?
Old Mar 18th 2015, 3:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJJ
I once visited the main island in Samoa. It is a sunny & pretty place. Nowhere is far from the beach. Crime rates are low - families/kids seen out late at night. Fairly moderate climate year round and certainly not choked with cars.

Is that the answer?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_the_Pacific...no doubt!
Old Mar 19th 2015, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Seychelles.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
Seychelles.
Actually you being from Hobart and all could help a little on this thread and me in particular. At this time of year do you notice the late light hours, compared to the rest of Aus ? Also do you think this summer in Hobart was cold ? I noticed it did have a couple of very cool days, did it feel that way to a permanent resident ? Are you also dreading winter, or do you still get out and about happily and easily ?
Old Mar 19th 2015, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Actually you being from Hobart and all could help a little on this thread and me in particular. At this time of year do you notice the late light hours, compared to the rest of Aus ? Also do you think this summer in Hobart was cold ? I noticed it did have a couple of very cool days, did it feel that way to a permanent resident ? Are you also dreading winter, or do you still get out and about happily and easily ?
Well, as I live here and not anywhere else in Aus, it's difficult to comment on the difference in daylight-it is what it is. We do like the fact that the days have a UK-like difference in length between summer and winter though.
Yes it was a tad colder here than usual over summer, and a little more rain than usual, but we still had some lovely 36-37C days.
As to "dreading winter"-no! Having experienced the worst that UK winters can be in years gone by, winter here is a walk in the park. Literally. In shorts and a tee most of the time once the day warms up. Born and bred Taswegians do look at us a bit askance though, not wearing woolly jumpers....
Old Mar 19th 2015, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in Hobart on Xmas Day once when it snowed. ..... well on the mountain, but it was certainly visible and feel-able from down in the town.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I've been in Hobart on Xmas Day once when it snowed. ..... well on the mountain, but it was certainly visible and feel-able from down in the town.
Yes but you adjust, I want to see how the locals take it.

I'd much prefer that coolness to the humidty of Sydney and places further north.... At least I feel like I do.

I want to see if Tasmanians still go out and about regularly for lesiure activity in the winter. Each time I've been there it's been somewhere between May and September and I've had no problem with the weather in fact I enjoyed it. However I do want to hear Taswegians voice on this one. There was snow on Mount Wellington last time I was on the Summit and there were plenty of people wandering around.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 19th 2015 at 4:32 am.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
Well, as I live here and not anywhere else in Aus, it's difficult to comment on the difference in daylight-it is what it is. We do like the fact that the days have a UK-like difference in length between summer and winter though.
Yes it was a tad colder here than usual over summer, and a little more rain than usual, but we still had some lovely 36-37C days.
As to "dreading winter"-no! Having experienced the worst that UK winters can be in years gone by, winter here is a walk in the park. Literally. In shorts and a tee most of the time once the day warms up. Born and bred Taswegians do look at us a bit askance though, not wearing woolly jumpers....
I think you've picked the perfect climate for a Northern European in Australia. It's funny that Brits seem to be the worst nation when it comes to weather. They go to hot places, complain and sit in the shade all day, or burn to death. Overall the UK never really gets bad winters and you have the advantage that it never gets too hot. Hobart has a great climate with even nicer summers and nicer winters and hardly any pollution like other cities. You are a lucky person
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes but you adjust, I want to see how the locals take it.

I'd much prefer that coolness to the humidty of Sydney and places further north.... At least I feel like I do.

I want to see if Tasmanians still go out and about regularly for lesiure activity in the winter. Each time I've been there it's been somewhere between May and September and I've had no problem with the weather in fact I enjoyed it. However I do want to hear Taswegians voice on this one. There was snow on Mount Wellington last time I was on the Summit and there were plenty of people wandering around.
Last winter I had some Tasmanians visit us in Sydney. They wanted to go to the AFL, so I put my patience boots on (I hate AFL) and took them to the game which was in Western Sydney (I also hate western sydney)

It was cold, damn cold. The breeze was brisk, and it was ripping right through us. The Tasmanians were complaining about how cold Sydney was which I thought was a bit rich after they subjected me to AFL in Western Sydney
Old Mar 21st 2015, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that the OP has successfully ruled out most of the populous areas of Australia. All cities/regions have their positives and negatives, and there are some sweeping generalisations in the above quote. Imagine an American posting a similar statement about Europe, asking where to live... Spain seems to hot, it rains too much in London... you get the idea.

Rose - you need to have a long hard think together with your significant other about what specifically you want to be a part of your day-to-day life, and if anywhere in Australia can accommodate this. Have you visited the places you mention? Nothing like experiencing things first hand.

Oh and the word "hubby" should be banned from the English language... *shivers*
Old Mar 21st 2015, 11:46 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

The OP is an extraction from another post :

Originally Posted by Paprika
We are moving next spring (september/october).
My children are from 8 to 13 and are homeschooled.

We wanted to live in the north of the Northerne Beaches (Pittwater area) but really can't afford to.

We were thinking to Adelaide. Does any have any advice/opinion/remark about Adelaide or does anybody have a new idea ?
I deleted a similar post by them in another thread - not sure what they are trying to achieve though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.