Where to live??

Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

MELJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Where to live??

We are a young (well 25-30) married couple with a 4 year old daughter. We have decided to emigrate to Australia but as we have no family or conatcts we are unsure as to what area we would be best suited to.Although we are planning a trip next year I dont feel doing all the 'tourist' spots would be beneficial. If anyone can suggest the areas we should focus on we would be most appreciative We both have good professions and we will no doubt extend the family.(not just yet though!)

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Jacqueline10 will become famous soon enoughJacqueline10 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where to live??

HI,

Just a quickie do you subscribe to 'Emigrate Australia' monthly newspaper i find very informative and focus's on all different parts of Australia..If you've never been its a good starting point.

Ive spent a lot of time in Melbourne, but never worked there(since a teenager) Personally I think its a great place but most of my experience has been through long holidays , did live there for a year but that was a long long time ago.

My parents never went to oz before they emigrated, they just picked Melbourne due to work at the time, and to be honest they never looked back, but that was their experience...

good luck!!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice! I'll subscribe to the newspaper and see where that takes us. I'm looking mainly at the more well known areas but couldn't tell you the difference between them. I preferably need to be near good office jobs and my husband is a police officer here in England so he will like to stick with that career and keep busy.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice

As a young family definitely Perth, but many on here would disagree, but I think you will find most would agree. But before anyone else suggest's it, do your homework on here, most of your question's should already be asked.
Good luck
P.S. There was big advert in the OZ paper looking for Police in WA.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

I'll be looking at this almost every day now doing my research and asking questions. Ive already had some guidance and Ive only been a member 1/2 hour!!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

Hi the Gold coast is great for families.
All depends on what type of work you and hubby do..
Good luck with your decision
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

jo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nice
Smile Re: Where to live??

Originally Posted by Paul & June
As a young family definitely Perth, but many on here would disagree, but I think you will find most would agree. But before anyone else suggest's it, do your homework on here, most of your question's should already be asked.
Good luck
P.S. There was big advert in the OZ paper looking for Police in WA.
Hi I would agree, Perth is a great place for families! I would do your own research & decide that way, its definately worth taking a trip to Oz to check out places before you decide though.

x
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:43 am
Just Joined

oldrose is an unknown quantity at this point

I think its great that you are able to come over and have a look around. You should take into consideration the climates, and also wether you are a really beach family. Do you like the country or prefer to live in a city? There is so much to think about, but I dont think you can really make up your mind until you have had a taster. They do say that Perth is the family state!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:10 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MELJ
We are a young (well 25-30) married couple with a 4 year old daughter. We have decided to emigrate to Australia but as we have no family or conatcts we are unsure as to what area we would be best suited to.Although we are planning a trip next year I dont feel doing all the 'tourist' spots would be beneficial. If anyone can suggest the areas we should focus on we would be most appreciative We both have good professions and we will no doubt extend the family.(not just yet though!)

Thanks in advance
Mel, one thing to think about is Australia is not one big country, think of it as Europe, each state here is its own country with seperate parliament, laws, health ect and even language!! Well, sayings and accents etc.
New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia...they are all different in lots of aspects but for Brits that is difficult to grasp for a while. Each state will have its own appeal and areas which are good for settling in and also different weather systems....e.g. the song '4 seasons in one day' is cos Melbourne is just like that..very UK ish!! Perth is hot and dry, Brisbane is warm and humid, Sydney is warm and fresh...they all have positives and negatives.
There is no way you could visit here for a couple of weeks and see what they are all like, your best bet is to focus on your career opportunities, then look at which states offer best for you, look at the jobs, then the housing prices and the cost of living...then...look at what you visualise as 'Australia' and ask your self do you want to live in suburbia or by the beach?
I am in Manly in Sydney, a great beach suburb and has all I think is 'australian' apart from the snakes and spiders thank god!!! However, Sydney is very expensive to live, yes it has great sights and things to do but you do pay for it, just think London prices!! But, I have also been to Melbourne and like its style and culture, been to Canberra and thought god this is dead!! lol
Not been to Perth or Brisbane yet but intend to do so, it is an enormous place so really do your homework on it before making any decision.
I have tried to be impartial, until now, come to Sydney its great!!! All Perth are inbreds...think Cornwall!! I shall now stand back and wait for the retorts!!
For those in Perth, I am of course jesting and teasing you but if you don't appreciate it just complain to your sister mum!!!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:26 am
Just Joined

oldrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paddyo
Mel, one thing to think about is Australia is not one big country, think of it as Europe, each state here is its own country with seperate parliament, laws, health ect and even language!! Well, sayings and accents etc.
New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia...they are all different in lots of aspects but for Brits that is difficult to grasp for a while. Each state will have its own appeal and areas which are good for settling in and also different weather systems....e.g. the song '4 seasons in one day' is cos Melbourne is just like that..very UK ish!! Perth is hot and dry, Brisbane is warm and humid, Sydney is warm and fresh...they all have positives and negatives.
There is no way you could visit here for a couple of weeks and see what they are all like, your best bet is to focus on your career opportunities, then look at which states offer best for you, look at the jobs, then the housing prices and the cost of living...then...look at what you visualise as 'Australia' and ask your self do you want to live in suburbia or by the beach?
I am in Manly in Sydney, a great beach suburb and has all I think is 'australian' apart from the snakes and spiders thank god!!! However, Sydney is very expensive to live, yes it has great sights and things to do but you do pay for it, just think London prices!! But, I have also been to Melbourne and like its style and culture, been to Canberra and thought god this is dead!! lol
Not been to Perth or Brisbane yet but intend to do so, it is an enormous place so really do your homework on it before making any decision.
I have tried to be impartial, until now, come to Sydney its great!!! All Perth are inbreds...think Cornwall!! I shall now stand back and wait for the retorts!!
For those in Perth, I am of course jesting and teasing you but if you don't appreciate it just complain to your sister mum!!!
Good post, but you hit the nail on the head when you said that Sydney is expensive. Just remember you will be earning Aussie dollars ........ There is no London weighting in your salary.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:43 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldrose
Good post, but you hit the nail on the head when you said that Sydney is expensive. Just remember you will be earning Aussie dollars ........ There is no London weighting in your salary.
Tell me about it, luckily for me my UK salary plus my wifes income was converted into Aus dollars salary as an incentive for me to come over here......gues what...it worked!!!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Each state will have its own appeal and areas which are good for settling in and also different weather systems....e.g. the song '4 seasons in one day' is cos Melbourne is just like that..very UK ish!!
What - as in 15oC days in mid-winter and plenty of 35oC+ days in summer with weeks and weeks of clear blue sky..... Just like the UK

To be serious - yes, we do have seasons. But after 2 and a half years here - absolutely nothing like the UK
Old Jun 25th 2008, 8:17 am
Just Joined

We are in Liverpool which is obviously a city and it is great now they are improving it with being capital of culture an' all. But I hate London and the idea is to move away to have a better way of life not. The idea is to work an live like we want to not work ourselves into the ground because we need to. In other words I dont want expensive living but I suppose it depends on what salarys myself and my husband can get. We have good jobs and we will rent before we even thinking about buying. I think a mixture of beachy,city, fab weather would be what we want. Thats how I envisage the life but whether this is pie in the sky or is actually obtainable I need to find out!!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 8:38 am
Social Grenade Thrower

We are in Liverpool which is obviously a city and it is great now they are improving it with being capital of culture an' all. But I hate London and the idea is to move away to have a better way of life not. The idea is to work an live like we want to not work ourselves into the ground because we need to. In other words I dont want expensive living but I suppose it depends on what salarys myself and my husband can get. We have good jobs and we will rent before we even thinking about buying. I think a mixture of beachy,city, fab weather would be what we want. Thats how I envisage the life but whether this is pie in the sky or is actually obtainable I need to find out!!
Quite right too, but please do what I did, think objectively without rose tinted glasses and really work out the costs of everything. As a very rough point of objectivity, base everything as having the same comparison to UK, food and bills wise, then you will have a rough idea. It will be the salaries and house cost which will be the differentiator for you.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 8:42 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be looking at this almost every day now doing my research and asking questions. Ive already had some guidance and Ive only been a member 1/2 hour!!
one tip. if your planning on coming to qld and hubby wants to join the qps do not get your hopes up on being where you want to be. you could end up being anywhere in qld.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.