Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live......

Where to live......

Old May 18th 2006, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

georgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the rough
Default Where to live......

Ok, know this has probably been done to death but we would greatly appreciate some input on this issue. We want to stay on the east side of the country. I am heavily involved in the Equine Industry & my hubby is a Civil engineer. We would like to be slightly off the beaten track (I need land for my horses) but still pretty close to good bars/restaurants for civilisation! I prefer t-shirt weather and not too much rain as my job takes me outside most of the time but I don't want to be too hot (we are in south Georgia at the mo and it's hot & V humid).........are we wanting too much or is there a place out there for us!?
Most of my family are up in Queensland (Gold Coast) but it would be good to pioneer new territories. If it helps any, my most favourite place on this planet is Cape Town (no I don't want to live there but it's just an alive and beautiful place).
My hubby likes the look of Melbourne or Cairns....mmmm two ends of the scale?
So, any suggestions or good web sites?
Cheers in advance!
Old May 18th 2006, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Toppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where to live......

Originally Posted by georgiagal
Ok, know this has probably been done to death but we would greatly appreciate some input on this issue. We want to stay on the east side of the country. I am heavily involved in the Equine Industry & my hubby is a Civil engineer. We would like to be slightly off the beaten track (I need land for my horses) but still pretty close to good bars/restaurants for civilisation! I prefer t-shirt weather and not too much rain as my job takes me outside most of the time but I don't want to be too hot (we are in south Georgia at the mo and it's hot & V humid).........are we wanting too much or is there a place out there for us!?
Most of my family are up in Queensland (Gold Coast) but it would be good to pioneer new territories. If it helps any, my most favourite place on this planet is Cape Town (no I don't want to live there but it's just an alive and beautiful place).
My hubby likes the look of Melbourne or Cairns....mmmm two ends of the scale?
So, any suggestions or good web sites?
Cheers in advance!
Just a suggestion: try somewhere a little outside of sydney suburbs or a bit north/south of it. NSW isn't as hot n humid as queensland but warmer than melbourne and closer to where your family are. Blue mountains might be ideal. Only 2 hrs from sydney and wide open spaces as far as I understand. Just watch out for funnel web spiders. They hide in your shoes, so check footwear and clothes before putting them on.
Old May 18th 2006, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

georgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Where to live......

Originally Posted by Toppa
Just a suggestion: try somewhere a little outside of sydney suburbs or a bit north/south of it. NSW isn't as hot n humid as queensland but warmer than melbourne and closer to where your family are. Blue mountains might be ideal. Only 2 hrs from sydney and wide open spaces as far as I understand. Just watch out for funnel web spiders. They hide in your shoes, so check footwear and clothes before putting them on.
Funny you should suggest that, I've just been looking at Hunter Valley & surrounding Newcastle area, some of the property is to die for and so cheap compared UK & USA. As S Georgia is so flat, it would be nice to live in a more gradient area & I loved the Blue Mountains. As far as the creepy crawlers go, we've been checking outdoor boots and stuff for rattle snakes & other such lovelies for the last five years so it's second nature to us now!