Where to live?

Old Mar 21st 2004, 3:08 am
Just Joined

tradingsnow4sun is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Where to live?

Hello from Canada,

My wife and I are moving to Sydney in June and we are starting to research where to live.

We have two daughters (5 & 7) and we want to find a nice school in a nice neighbourhood. Seems like a tall order from 15,000KM away.

I would love it if I could get some feedback on any or all of the following areas:

Mosman
Cremorne
Neutral Bay
Manly
Manly Vale
Fairlight
Balgowlah/Balgowlah Heights

Thanks,

Justin
Old Mar 21st 2004, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

Sorry, we're in SE QLD, but bumping ya back to top!

Does no-one live in Sydney area.....?

Old Mar 21st 2004, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice
Default Re: Where to live?

We are a family from England also going to Sydney and had the same question - we looked at those areas last Easter and really liked them - But recently I have also been advised to look at Cronulla where we didnt visit . Looking at the whole sutherland Shire area on the Web it looks so great that were thinking of now going there -

Originally posted by tradingsnow4sun
Hello from Canada,

My wife and I are moving to Sydney in June and we are starting to research where to live.

We have two daughters (5 & 7) and we want to find a nice school in a nice neighbourhood. Seems like a tall order from 15,000KM away.

I would love it if I could get some feedback on any or all of the following areas:

Mosman
Cremorne
Neutral Bay
Manly
Manly Vale
Fairlight

Thanks,

Justin
Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:51 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=217329

The above is a thread on some of the suburbs you have listed. These say with the house prices in Sydney it is better to post a budget, dwelling size and hoped for lifestyle so we can answer the questions.

www.131500.com.au
www.whereis.com.au
www.realestate.com.au

Should get you all started.

Cronulla is fast growing and as the only beach with a railway station the place has shot up in price. Sydneysiders see the Shire types as weird whilst the Shire types think the place is God's country.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Trax is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I don't know if this is much help, but we looked around last year at schools, as we have girls aged 7 and 8. We saw a private school in Mosman which the staff were wonderful, but the facilities were ok. I think it was called Queens something or the other. We did see a very impressive school in Gordon called Ravenswood which is worth checking out.

We are looking at moving to the Pymble, Gordon, St. Ives area possibly early next year.

Friends who have recently moved to Sydney are sending their 2 kids to a small private school called John Colet (Benrose area). It is small with about 120 kids, and has small class sizes and traditional values. It has a website available.

Good luck with your research.

Trax

Hello from Canada,

Mosman
Cremorne
Neutral Bay
Manly
Manly Vale
Fairlight

Thanks,

Justin
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

tradingsnow4sun is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Trax
Hi,

I don't know if this is much help, but we looked around last year at schools, as we have girls aged 7 and 8. We saw a private school in Mosman which the staff were wonderful, but the facilities were ok. I think it was called Queens something or the other. We did see a very impressive school in Gordon called Ravenswood which is worth checking out.

We are looking at moving to the Pymble, Gordon, St. Ives area possibly early next year.

Friends who have recently moved to Sydney are sending their 2 kids to a small private school called John Colet (Benrose area). It is small with about 120 kids, and has small class sizes and traditional values. It has a website available.

Trax
Trax,

Thanks for your input. It's given me some other places to look.

Justin
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Rosie n family
We are a family from England also going to Sydney and had the same question - we looked at those areas last Easter and really liked them - But recently I have also been advised to look at Cronulla where we didnt visit . Looking at the whole sutherland Shire area on the Web it looks so great that were thinking of now going there -
We are going this Easter to look at areas of Sutherlandshire we haven't seen before & to check out the schools and work front. The areas bordering the National parks are very pretty - but you do risk the occassional bushfire! Gymea Bay has been recommended to me, but is a bit pricey.

http://www.sutherland.nsw.gov.au/ssc/home.nsf
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Hello from Canada,

I lived in Cremorne and Fairlight.

Mosman

***** Very nice, but pricey. Reasonable 3 bdr house is ~$A800k++. 20-30 mins drive to city in morning. Also ferries available. Has a nice beach - Balmoral.

Cremorne
Neutral Bay

***** Adjacent suburbs. Lots of apartments - mainly young-ish professional types. Slightly closer to Sydney CBD than Mosman. 10%-20% cheaper than Mosman. Good restnts.

Manly

***** More relaxed than Mosman. Great beach(es), cafes. Further out (add ~15 mins driving time, but also has 30 min ferry to CBD). 3 bdr house ~$A750k++

Manly Vale

***** Not as good as Manly (but cheaper). Closer to bushland, but not as close to beaches.

Fairlight

***** Slightly cheaper than Manly (but closer to city on road), cos very close by - less than 5 minute drive from Manly. House prices are similar. Also has its own beach and a few shops.

Balgowlah

***** Balgowlah is slightly further from Manly than Fairlight (another 2 mins by road). Currently, there is a big property development - the shops will be much improved +~100+ new units. Again prices in Fairlight, Balgowlah are similar ~5-10% lower than Manly. No beach.

Balgowlah Heights

***** As name suggests, it's the high bit of Balgowlah. Some lovely houses command a great view of Manly, and the Heads out to sea. Housing comparable to Manly and then some! Eg 3br houses can be anywhere from ~$A750k+++. Some easily over $A1.25 million.

Thanks,

Justin
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Trax
Hi,

Trax
The Mosman school you looked at sounds like Queenwood. It has very good facilities and good teachers. We sent our daughter there.