6.67%
Funds
13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Where to invest?

Old Mar 13th 2004, 1:56 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Where to invest?

You've got lazy cash (I bloody wish) and wanting to invest it. Where would you put it?

Disclaimer

This is as dodgy an investment advice as you could get.
Old Mar 13th 2004, 2:54 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ours is going into property .
Old Mar 13th 2004, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Property.
Old Mar 13th 2004, 4:32 am

Not that much cash.
Old Mar 13th 2004, 4:40 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Not that much cash.
LOL.

Actually there was an article in this mornings Courier Mail (cant find the bloody thing online though) that says Residex thinks that there will be negative growth in the housing market here in Brisbane. A few comments from other companies as well implying similar.

Ive still spent most of the day scouring the real estate section of the paper & trying to arrange inspections .

If its a small amount of money (depends what you classify as a small amount I guess!) I would be likely to put it into shares, as long as I didnt need the money for anything. Its the same old story, you only lose money on an investment if you have to sell it when the price is low.
Old Mar 13th 2004, 4:43 am

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
LOL.

Actually there was an article in this mornings Courier Mail (cant find the bloody thing online though) that says Residex thinks that there will be negative growth in the housing market here in Brisbane. A few comments from other companies as well implying similar.

Ive still spent most of the day scouring the real estate section of the paper & trying to arrange inspections .

If its a small amount of money (depends what you classify as a small amount I guess!) I would be likely to put it into shares, as long as I didnt need the money for anything. Its the same old story, you only lose money on an investment if you have to sell it when the price is low.
$5,000 to $10,000 .
Old Mar 13th 2004, 4:46 am
Rocket Scientist

$5,000 to $10,000 .
Shares.
Old Mar 13th 2004, 4:49 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Shares.
Or get together with your neighbour and go shares in a pool
Old Mar 13th 2004, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

LOL.

Not sure if this is the article you meant but it was in todays paper.

Full Story

Seems to imply units and appartments are going nowhere, but IMHO houses are a safer bet anyway. Only reason Logan and Ipswich are booming is because the prices their were so low in the first place the only place they could go was up.
Old Mar 13th 2004, 5:40 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Not sure if this is the article you meant but it was in todays paper.

Full Story

Seems to imply units and appartments are going nowhere, but IMHO houses are a safer bet anyway. Only reason Logan and Ipswich are booming is because the prices their were so low in the first place the only place they could go was up.
No, not the same one KP, it was entitled Get Ready for the Bubble to Burst (business page 78 if anyone has a had copy to hand), I'll have to scan it & then post it. Agree about houses & agree about Logan & Ipswich, there are very few other places that 1st home buyers on limited budgets can get into the market!

The general consensus of this report was that there will be a slight downturn in the market, probably not enough to make prices drop by a large amount, but enough to ensure that investor activity (which has been a major thing driving the market) will ease alot this year.
Old Mar 13th 2004, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

No, not the same one KP, it was entitled Get Ready for the Bubble to Burst (business page 78 if anyone has a had copy to hand), I'll have to scan it & then post it. Agree about houses & agree about Logan & Ipswich, there are very few other places that 1st home buyers on limited budgets can get into the market!

The general consensus of this report was that there will be a slight downturn in the market, probably not enough to make prices drop by a large amount, but enough to ensure that investor activity (which has been a major thing driving the market) will ease alot this year.

We got the Australian, their property take this week is that the interest rate rises in Nov and Dec were a bit of overkill and have caused a drop in housing loans. From that tho they say further interest rate rises are unlikely which will push people back into the market (Guess they have to cover themselves alround).
Who knows buy quality, stick to houses and it always wins in the end.

I am now more concerned with a crash in the UK property market, you know the one thats been predicted on here for 2 years now
Could sombody start crashing it please. Preferably next Month if thats convenient.
Old Mar 13th 2004, 6:21 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Where to invest?

You've got lazy cash (I bloody wish) and wanting to invest it. Where would you put it?

Disclaimer

The currency market !

Don't you just love the thrill of watching the currency rates move against each other ?

Old Mar 13th 2004, 7:37 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Melting point: ~145 ºC.

Melting point: 1064.43 ºC.

For lower transaction costs:
Gold Bullion Securities
Old Mar 13th 2004, 9:46 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Disclaimer

Property! Thats what were hoping to do, seeing as the governments got a chunk of our cash for 12 months we may as well buy something at the really cheap end of the scale purely to rent out. Long term inverstments, thats where the money is, you still have the bulk of the cash but the rent coming in far outweighs any amount of interest you would have ever earnt in a bank etc.
And big plus point, seeing as you have regular income coming in you will be ably to get a mortgage on somewhere you'd like and get your poor tennants to pay it for you. Its like a lovely long chain. If I was staying here I would have done something similar in retail properties with flats above.

Jenny
Old Mar 13th 2004, 11:14 pm

Originally posted by jensteve
Property! Thats what were hoping to do, seeing as the governments got a chunk of our cash for 12 months we may as well buy something at the really cheap end of the scale purely to rent out. Long term inverstments, thats where the money is, you still have the bulk of the cash but the rent coming in far outweighs any amount of interest you would have ever earnt in a bank etc.
And big plus point, seeing as you have regular income coming in you will be ably to get a mortgage on somewhere you'd like and get your poor tennants to pay it for you. Its like a lovely long chain. If I was staying here I would have done something similar in retail properties with flats above.

Jenny
My quoted amount won't cover the stamp duty let alone any kind of equity.

BTW rental returns in Sydney are below what you would get in a savings account. People deliberately run losses to reduce their tax. IMO a loss is still a loss.

Last edited by bondipom; Mar 13th 2004 at 11:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.