Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where / how to get a hairdressing licence

where / how to get a hairdressing licence

Old Aug 5th 2007, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

annkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud of
Default where / how to get a hairdressing licence

having read a lot of threads, i realise that a lot of people in trades are having trouble getting licenced, i to will be going over to perth soon and am going to have the same problem. i am a hairdreser and i would like to know where and how to get this licence? can any1 enlighten me?
Old Aug 5th 2007, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

annkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud of
Default Re: where / how to get a hairdressing licence

oh i forgot to add can i start the ball rolling whilst i am still in the uk?
Old Aug 5th 2007, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

No licence needed for a hairdresser
Old Aug 5th 2007, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks for the info, it's just that i've read a lot of threads, saying that they need to have a licence. great news if i dont, thanks again, ann
Old Aug 5th 2007, 6:49 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
No licence needed for a hairdresser
There is in wa !

When you arrive contact the hairdressers rego board .
You will have to do a theory test then practical . but you get 6 months plus to do it in .

Or you could just ignore it till you get caught ,( which could be years ) they may be dropping it in the next year or so .

Its the only state that still has a hair licence.

http://www.hrb.org.au/content.php?page=22&section=6

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 5th 2007 at 11:06 pm. Reason: Incorrectly logged in by her OH, sorry.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme
There is in wa !

You will have to do a theory test then practical . but you get 6 months plus to do it in .

Or you could just ignore it till you get caught ,( which could be years ) they may be dropping it in the next year or so .

FFS, I've heard it all now
Old Aug 5th 2007, 11:09 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme
There is in wa !

Wouldn't they still need to have at least a TAFE certificate/qualification ie apprenticeship or TRA recognition, before starting work. Unless they have change this in Qld, this is what people I have known have had to do and have.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Wouldn't they still need to have at least a TAFE certificate/qualification ie apprenticeship or TRA recognition, before starting work. Unless they have change this in Qld, this is what people I have known have had to do and have.

They will have that already from before they apply for their visa. What a lot of people are getting confused with is the need for some trades to get an ARTC certificate (like sparkies etc) and having to attend courses to get a licence before they can actually work in their trade.

Of course, probably every state will have it's own 'association of hairdressers' or whatever, and I can sort of see the need to register with them. But I didn't think they needed to attend a course to prove they can cut hair.

(I know they don't in SA because I have a friend who is a hairdresser).

Finding out WA needs one has made me laugh anyway, I knew there was a lot of red tape, but seriously
Old Aug 6th 2007, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

layla950 will become famous soon enoughlayla950 will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Wendy;5152476]They will have that already from before they apply for their visa. What a lot of people are getting confused with is the need for some trades to get an ARTC certificate (like sparkies etc) and having to attend courses to get a licence before they can actually work in their trade.

Not necessarily. I am a hairdresser going on my oh's visa. It was easier to get his skills assessed (IT) than mine. We didn't need the extra points so didn't bother. Also, i worked in perth as a hairdresser 11 years ago and did not hear anything about needing a certificate then.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by layla950

Not necessarily. I am a hairdresser going on my oh's visa. It was easier to get his skills assessed (IT) than mine. We didn't need the extra points so didn't bother. Also, i worked in perth as a hairdresser 11 years ago and did not hear anything about needing a certificate then.

Good point

Did you have a licence? and what did you have to do to get one if you did.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Belinda.Ian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by annkc
having read a lot of threads, i realise that a lot of people in trades are having trouble getting licenced, i to will be going over to perth soon and am going to have the same problem. i am a hairdreser and i would like to know where and how to get this licence? can any1 enlighten me?
Hi you have to do a theory test and once you have passed that you have to do a practical then,its all money,I`m going next week even though i`ve been hairdressing since i was 16 (40 end of month) and now i`m a nervous reck so there you go anyway good luck wiyh your plans
Belinda
Old Aug 6th 2007, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

layla950 will become famous soon enoughlayla950 will become famous soon enough

Good point

Did you have a licence? and what did you have to do to get one if you did.
No i didn't. And it was never mentioned that i should have one. I had no idea at the time. Reading this post now, i assumed it was a new thing. Maybe they just dont check these things much. I wouldn't worry about it unless someone asks for it. Seems a bit extreme to me.
Although in the UK now, i have heard insurance company's require salon staff to have the proper certificates before they will insure you. Think this is a new thing.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Its all a little confusing, i've been told from my agent that i do require a licence, i have passed my TRA etc and have been hairdressing and running my own salon here for many years. It must just be a wee formality to prove yourself, a bit like a trade test - this i would ask any new employee to do, therefore i dont mind doing it at all!!!!
Old Aug 6th 2007, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

mum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to all

Not necessarily. I am a hairdresser going on my oh's visa. It was easier to get his skills assessed (IT) than mine. We didn't need the extra points so didn't bother. Also, i worked in perth as a hairdresser 11 years ago and did not hear anything about needing a certificate then.[/QUOTE]

Me too HO got the visa didnt need the extra points either.

Im coming over with my city n guilds certs NVQ L2 n L3 and wait and see what the salon owners say if i have to go back to college then i will.

Seems a bit daft to me tho when we have proof and experiance with us.

Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:49 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

They will have that already from before they apply for their visa. What a lot of people are getting confused with is the need for some trades to get an ARTC certificate (like sparkies etc) and having to attend courses to get a licence before they can actually work in their trade.

Of course, probably every state will have it's own 'association of hairdressers' or whatever, and I can sort of see the need to register with them. But I didn't think they needed to attend a course to prove they can cut hair.

(I know they don't in SA because I have a friend who is a hairdresser).

Finding out WA needs one has made me laugh anyway, I knew there was a lot of red tape, but seriously

So do carpenters, bricklayers, electricians etc (the list goes on) but they still need to get local qualifications/certifications though TAFE before they work, to comply with regulations. As I have known many hairdresser/barbers etc in Australia, most seem to have their Australian certificates displayed on their salon walls. As it is loosely classed as a trade, you have to be qualified.

Last edited by The Bloke; Aug 6th 2007 at 9:54 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.