Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where have they all gone???

where have they all gone???

Old Jul 24th 2003, 11:20 pm
  #16  
BE Enthusiast
 
Sindy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 371
Sindy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: where have they all gone???

Originally posted by debsy
Where have they all gone?? Sindy & Bill, Steve Bannister, Pleasance family, Karawara and all of the others that used to post really great Stuff.

Last but not least...........Terryg..gone but never forgotten - we miss you Uncle T!!!!!

Hi Debsy,

Really nice to hear from you again. Reading your post, and the answers that followed, reminded us of all the genuine people that use this forum.

We have been avoiding it of late, mostly because we are busy with preparations but also because of the way the forum has been going downhill.

I do not care if it has become unfashionable to use this term but for us the move to Oz is the culmination of a dream. We are looking forward to it, we are excited about it. It will probably be one of the greatest things we do as family.

We made the decision to move only after we had spent nearly two years investigating the pros and cons. We are as prepared for the move out there as much as anyone can be. I do not have any problem conceding that the realities will be beyond our imagination and that life will not be a bed of roses.

What I do know for certain is that being in this country was not giving us the quality of life we wanted. So rather than sit and moan about it and look back in twenty years time wishing we had done something we have decided to get off of our backsides and try and change things. If it does not work out then ok, but at least we will have tried.

Our story is no different to many of the people on this forum. All of us chasing a dream that may or may not come true. The pressure and planning involved is unbelievable. Family and friends, normally a source of help and comfort just cannot understand what it is like.

This is were the forum comes into its own. When you first join it feels unbelievable that you are surrounded by like minded people, all going through the same thing and able to offer help and support.

The forum has two important features; the excellent free advice given by the registered agents, and the useful tips and insights from those already out there.

Against all of these things was the common appearance of the scum bags who live and love to bait the unwary. These vultures prey upon the decent members of this forum by posting constant streams of negative information and feeding the understandable doubts that many have about making such a big move. Initially I was as guilty as most of rising to the bait. Later I learned to expect and then ignore their posts. Of late however the balance has tipped too much and almost every post is hijacked by these mental parasites.

It just does not seem worth it any more and so whilst we will continue to check on everyone’s progress, and post truthfully once in Oz, we will not be as active as before.

Good luck to everyone

Bill & Sindy
Sindy is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2003, 7:45 am
  #17  
Don
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 7,613
Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: where have they all gone???

Originally posted by tinaj
Don Pleasance signed off a few weeks ago. He said he had had enough of this site and that he wouldn't be posting again. Sad I know as his posts were really balanced and informative.

I think the others are still posting, but not that frequently it seems. Maybe the trolls have got to them.

Still popping in from time to time! Not fed up with the site (though since I never 'ignored' anyone it got a bit tiresome at times to see the trolls at play and I just might have got irritated enough to post a bad'un in reply once or twice!!!) But trying to enjoy our drought that passes for summer while I am still a free man.

Off to NZ in less than 7 weeks now, planning on returning to Europe next spring/summer to wind up a few things - should be long enough in NZ to at least decide on a base (Christchurch?)

Will update.
Don is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2003, 8:52 am
  #18  
over the cuckoo's nest
 
Slater's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Gold Coast Qld.
Posts: 301
Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough
Default Re: where have they all gone???

Originally posted by debsy
Where have they all gone?? Sindy & Bill, Steve Bannister, Pleasance family, Karawara and all of the others that used to post really great Stuff.

Last but not least...........Terryg..gone but never forgotten - we miss you Uncle T!!!!!
Just look at jaruky's first post, the idiots Wilf and Megalania jump straight in to ruin the thread with their inane babble. Time has come for the mediator to seriously consider whether to let these sorts continue, they are ruining this forum.

Slater
Slater is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2003, 9:24 am
  #19  
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,432
Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: where have they all gone???

Originally posted by Slater
Just look at jaruky's first post, the idiots Wilf and Megalania jump straight in to ruin the thread with their inane babble. Time has come for the mediator to seriously consider whether to let these sorts continue, they are ruining this forum.

Slater
Should I swap from ridiculing Prodigal Buffoons' ignorant and inaccurate rantings about my country to ridiculing you and yours?
Megalania is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2003, 10:16 pm
  #20  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
debsy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: GC
Posts: 3,353
debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default

well it is nice to see that you are all still around - although be it somewhat more silent!! It was nice to hear from you all and I quite agree with Sindy & Bill. I think that their post says it all.

Uncle T, if you see this before you go - have a nice flight and the best of luck to you and your family in your new life. Be happy!!
Don' forget to keep in touch.

debs
debsy is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2003, 1:01 am
  #21  
BE Enthusiast
 
april's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 404
april is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: where have they all gone???

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Still popping in from time to time! Not fed up with the site (though since I never 'ignored' anyone it got a bit tiresome at times to see the trolls at play and I just might have got irritated enough to post a bad'un in reply once or twice!!!) But trying to enjoy our drought that passes for summer while I am still a free man.

Off to NZ in less than 7 weeks now, planning on returning to Europe next spring/summer to wind up a few things - should be long enough in NZ to at least decide on a base (Christchurch?)

Will update.

I hope you do post and tell of your adventures, I enjoy reading
them.........
april is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2003, 6:57 am
  #22  
Forum Regular
 
Ruthyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 193
Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: where have they all gone???

Originally posted by Sindy
Hi Debsy,

Really nice to hear from you again. Reading your post, and the answers that followed, reminded us of all the genuine people that use this forum.

We have been avoiding it of late, mostly because we are busy with preparations but also because of the way the forum has been going downhill.

I do not care if it has become unfashionable to use this term but for us the move to Oz is the culmination of a dream. We are looking forward to it, we are excited about it. It will probably be one of the greatest things we do as family.

We made the decision to move only after we had spent nearly two years investigating the pros and cons. We are as prepared for the move out there as much as anyone can be. I do not have any problem conceding that the realities will be beyond our imagination and that life will not be a bed of roses.

What I do know for certain is that being in this country was not giving us the quality of life we wanted. So rather than sit and moan about it and look back in twenty years time wishing we had done something we have decided to get off of our backsides and try and change things. If it does not work out then ok, but at least we will have tried.

Our story is no different to many of the people on this forum. All of us chasing a dream that may or may not come true. The pressure and planning involved is unbelievable. Family and friends, normally a source of help and comfort just cannot understand what it is like.

This is were the forum comes into its own. When you first join it feels unbelievable that you are surrounded by like minded people, all going through the same thing and able to offer help and support.

The forum has two important features; the excellent free advice given by the registered agents, and the useful tips and insights from those already out there.

Against all of these things was the common appearance of the scum bags who live and love to bait the unwary. These vultures prey upon the decent members of this forum by posting constant streams of negative information and feeding the understandable doubts that many have about making such a big move. Initially I was as guilty as most of rising to the bait. Later I learned to expect and then ignore their posts. Of late however the balance has tipped too much and almost every post is hijacked by these mental parasites.

It just does not seem worth it any more and so whilst we will continue to check on everyone’s progress, and post truthfully once in Oz, we will not be as active as before.

Good luck to everyone

Bill & Sindy
well said.
Ruthyman is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2003, 11:49 am
  #23  
BE Enthusiast
 
TIZUS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Nelson Nz
Posts: 322
TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

I think a lot of people feel the same about the forum but I don't think we should allow a few to wreck it for the others. I for one will keep everyone posted about our experiences! We fly out Wednesday! Arrive Nelson on Saturday!

Off to say our final farewells this afternoon!!

Tori
PS seems like we have been saying goodbye forever!!
TIZUS is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2003, 1:21 pm
  #24  
WBB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: where have they all gone???

Originally posted by Sindy
Hi Debsy,

Really nice to hear from you again. Reading your post, and the answers that followed, reminded us of all the genuine people that use this forum.

We have been avoiding it of late, mostly because we are busy with preparations but also because of the way the forum has been going downhill.

I do not care if it has become unfashionable to use this term but for us the move to Oz is the culmination of a dream. We are looking forward to it, we are excited about it. It will probably be one of the greatest things we do as family.

We made the decision to move only after we had spent nearly two years investigating the pros and cons. We are as prepared for the move out there as much as anyone can be. I do not have any problem conceding that the realities will be beyond our imagination and that life will not be a bed of roses.

What I do know for certain is that being in this country was not giving us the quality of life we wanted. So rather than sit and moan about it and look back in twenty years time wishing we had done something we have decided to get off of our backsides and try and change things. If it does not work out then ok, but at least we will have tried.

Our story is no different to many of the people on this forum. All of us chasing a dream that may or may not come true. The pressure and planning involved is unbelievable. Family and friends, normally a source of help and comfort just cannot understand what it is like.

This is were the forum comes into its own. When you first join it feels unbelievable that you are surrounded by like minded people, all going through the same thing and able to offer help and support.

The forum has two important features; the excellent free advice given by the registered agents, and the useful tips and insights from those already out there.

Against all of these things was the common appearance of the scum bags who live and love to bait the unwary. These vultures prey upon the decent members of this forum by posting constant streams of negative information and feeding the understandable doubts that many have about making such a big move. Initially I was as guilty as most of rising to the bait. Later I learned to expect and then ignore their posts. Of late however the balance has tipped too much and almost every post is hijacked by these mental parasites.

It just does not seem worth it any more and so whilst we will continue to check on everyone’s progress, and post truthfully once in Oz, we will not be as active as before.

Good luck to everyone

Bill & Sindy
hi bill and sindy, i too have been avoiding the forum because of the trolls but i do look in from time to time and i just wanted to wish you luck on your imminent departure to oz.

hope everything works out for you and please do post when you get the chance once in australia, we would love to hear from you.

good luck
 
Old Aug 9th 2003, 2:08 pm
  #25  
BE Forum Addict
 
whisky's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Mandurah WA
Posts: 1,395
whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Sorry to hear that you can't stick it out with the rest of us.

I have had my moments with the rabble, got wound up, given my 2 penneth worth, and then wished I hadn't let them get me that way, because that is the only reason they do it.
I now read the posts of interest, and just skip straight past the so called trolls on here and read only the people I know have something interesting to say. I feel so much better for it, and in control.
PB goes in a couple of weeks. See what its like then.

Good luck whatever your decision. I know its hard, there are some good posters that have already left this forum because of the idiots, we really don't want to give in to them.

Whisky
whisky is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2003, 11:34 pm
  #26  
Finally made it
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Perth
Posts: 210
Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Ditto Bill and Sindy's comments. For myself however, once the euphoria of receiving our visa's in March (after a 2 yr wait) had worn off I got bogged down with negativity over the house sale. Hopefully we will be exchanging contracts shortly to first time buyers who are absolutely lovely and really excited about moving in.

That period of time trying to sell your house is definitely worse than waiting for the visa. At least while you are "being processed" you are excited as well as nervous. It was also, for me, a time to use the forum and do the research. The despair that you feel as weeks and then months go by with no serious offers is horrendous!

We will get there in the end and in the meantime I will try to post more regularly. Let's face it, we must all be pretty strong to be going through this process. Can't let the b******s grind you down.

Steph
Paul and Steph is offline  
Old Aug 10th 2003, 8:09 am
  #27  
Forum Regular
 
porkchop's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 168
porkchop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

A forum will asume the mood of the majority posters.
Unfortunatly thats PB.
Fortunatly Not for long.
Once he goes the mood of the forum should improve.

PC

Unless of course, he has an understudy.
porkchop is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.