Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where have I heard this before??

Where have I heard this before??

Old Sep 17th 2003, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Where have I heard this before??

This struck me as 1.funny, 2. Ironic (plus the board needs a little livening up again).

I am taking to Brisbane airport this morning a family of returnees to the UK. Been here 4 years, she is a very good mate, leicester girl, real friendly northern lass.

Anyway sad as I am to see them go, here are their main reasons for returning to the UK.

Family.

Better Education.

Weather!! To escape the fierce summers of OZ.

To own a house outright, they bought well here when they arrived 50 metres from the beach, house has trebled now they can afford to live mortage free in UK.!!!

To have more freetime as a family. Hubbys salary over there will mean they can go back to one income family. Here they had two full time jobs.

More free time again, want to be free of the suburban hassles of large house, large gardens, pool and all the time that takes every weekend to look after.

Interesting? Ironic? Funny? I dont know but its one heck of a discussion point.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where have I heard this before??

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dotty
This struck me as 1.funny, 2. Ironic (plus the board needs a little livening up again).

I am taking to Brisbane airport this morning a family of returnees to the UK. Been here 4 years, she is a very good mate, leicester girl, real friendly northern lass.

Anyway sad as I am to see them go, here are their main reasons for returning to the UK.

Family.

Better Education.

To own a house outright, they bought well here when they arrived 50 metres from the beach, house has trebled now they can afford to live mortage free in UK.!!!

to have more freetime as a family. Hubbys salary over there will mean they can go back to one income family. Here they had two full time jobs.

More free time again, want to be free of the suburban hassles of large house, large gardens, pool and all the time that takes every weekend to look after.

that sounds like roles reversal to me, just what we are trying to escape to she is escaping from

arlene,

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Sep 17th 2003, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Certainly is ironic.

I can understand anyone wanting to be near their folks (anyone want to be near mine, can't stand them).

If the UK summers were the same every year as they have been, you may have the best of both worlds

Clearly they bought at the right time in Oz and will be returning to donwards trend on the UK market, depending on where they buy. The SE has seen a 10% increase in the last year whereas the North has been 14-20%. Mind you tell that to the tightwads that bought our place!

Who knows might be doing the same thing in a few years. Just have to see
Old Sep 17th 2003, 9:32 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dotty

Family.

Better Education.

To have more freetime as a family. Hubbys salary over there will mean they can go back to one income family. Here they had two full time jobs.

Hubby being recalcitrant again? Nil desperandum!
Old Sep 17th 2003, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

Family.

Better Education.

v.intersting point.

Is aus economically following the US and UK and therefore the lag be it 3 months or 3 years creates the opportunity (though internet closing this gap)??. In this cases the most simple of examples property.

My view is yes, (though not conviced on property) i think many good ideas from UK/US will migrate well to Aus. Uk/US have critical points in there favour centred upon the sheer amount of innovative ideas surfacing which will always outstrip Aus because of popoulation.

research required but opportunities abound. Your advice on previous threads is sound and lawnmowing as you have suggested before is not a terrible starting point. I do not plan to mow my lawn, not unless the sit mowers have holders for the beer now!!

James
Old Sep 17th 2003, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Megalania
Strange you mention him, last seen departing on a flight to Sydney at the mere mention of filling the house with departing Poms to the Motherland and winedrinking rituals suited to the occasion.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Well at least your friends have given it a go and tried it, and by the sounds of it made a bit of profit on the house along the way.
At least they won't have the regret of 'what if'. They have been, done it and got the t-shirt.

Whisky
Old Sep 17th 2003, 10:44 pm
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point

Dotty, what point are you trying to make exactly? There are a lot of people on this forum who are going very soon. Are you trying to make us even more anxious than we are already? The decision has been made. We are going. And don't try and tell me you just want us all to be "realistic". For most of us it's the biggest and toughest decision we'll ever make, and it's not taken lightly. This kind of thing does not help at all.

Andy

Family.

Better Education.

Old Sep 17th 2003, 10:50 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Andy_Hanrahan
Dotty, what point are you trying to make exactly? There are a lot of people on this forum who are going very soon. Are you trying to make us even more anxious than we are already? The decision has been made. We are going. And don't try and tell me you just want us all to be "realistic". For most of us it's the biggest and toughest decision we'll ever make, and it's not taken lightly. This kind of thing does not help at all.

Andy

hey mr crocodile,

if you read the beginning of dottys post you will see she put her reasons for going back to uk struck her as funny and ironic.!!
I thought it quite amusing and ironic......didnt strike me once as a pb/wilf type post!!!
Old Sep 17th 2003, 10:59 pm
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah OK, The crocodile's getting a bit snappy.

I'm going in a week and a half. Excited, but as you can tell, pretty damn nervous as well.

Andy

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
hey mr crocodile,

if you read the beginning of dottys post you will see she put her reasons for going back to uk struck her as funny and ironic.!!
I thought it quite amusing and ironic......didnt strike me once as a pb/wilf type post!!!
Old Sep 17th 2003, 11:00 pm
chongochingi

strikes me as funny, ironic and very believable. If you made investments at the right time then a few years in Oz will have set you up nicely for a return to the UK. So long as they're not feeling miserable or running away looking for the next 'fix' for their lives then everyone's happy.

And family priorities change over the course of 4 or 5 years anyway. Kids might seem the most important thing one year - five years later when parents are older then maybe they demand some serious thought.

Ans anyway, we don't have to stay in one palce for ever. I think it's great that as priorities and opportunities change then people are able to and brave enough to go where their needs will be best met. Nothing has to be forever.

I love both Australia and the UK and can imagine reasons for going home and reasons for staying forever.

Old Sep 17th 2003, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Andy_Hanrahan

Andy
It depends on how you look at it. Coming here and making enough dosh to go back to UKers debt free is hardly bad is it? Probably not an aspect most would expect to happen.

I dont target my posts at anyone in particular, I'm probably the only one on here who has ever posted that getting wealthy in OZ is possible hardly bad news that is it? However I did get slagged off for that too.

Sure I present some different views from others on here, I'd be the first to admit my humour is a bit warped at times. However some of these different posts are the only thing that saves this forum form becoming a "Hi I'm lulu and we are going to OZ' messageboard.

I also this morning hilighted a post ffom Di in Brisbane who writes the most glowing article on Life in Brisbane I have ever read, why would I do that if I was trying to make people anxious??

Anyway I have a long drive to the airport and an emotional goodbye session to manouvre, so I'd better stop hiding out in me office and get on with it.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 11:42 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Strange you mention him, last seen departing on a flight to Sydney at the mere mention of filling the house with departing Poms to the Motherland and winedrinking rituals suited to the occasion.
When Caesar returns, you'll be chained to an oar!
Old Sep 18th 2003, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Megalania
You are improving my vocabulary Meg, had to look this one up in the dictionary!
Old Sep 18th 2003, 12:32 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Family.
- can't argue with that as a reason.

Better Education.
- is education a problem in Aus ?. I was talking to a couple with young kids the other day and they wanted to put their kids through a private school here in Aus. As someone without kids I don't relate to this problem of educating kids, but one day I'd like kids and would prefer they get a typical unprivileged education. So what's the problem with Aus schools ?

- there are always other parts of Aus to try. I picked my location based on climate research and avoided the temptation of chasing the location with the highests winter temps, most number of clear sky days etc, because I want to be comfortable, not roast like a pig on a bbq. It's too easy to get sidetracked by conditions that match the lovely holiday you had in the Med or Florida, but you've gotta be able to take it for 365 days of the year.

To own a house outright
- I'm sure they can do that in Aus. The beachhouse profit could easily fund a nice place away from the beach.

- fairy nuff, irony indeed considering Aussies seem to pride themselves on having time for family.

- Moving house could easily solve that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.