Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where has best opportunities?

Where has best opportunities?

Old Feb 15th 2008, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Maximmm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where has best opportunities?

I'm in Adelaide and am looking at moving to Melbourne, Gold Coast or Brisbane to see if opportunities are better there. Can anyone give me any real idea of the availability of general office work (or something boat-related) in those areas? Adelaide is not the place for an outsider who's not a medico or similar tradie... Thanks guys
Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

CraigSarahGeorge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where has best opportunities?

Originally Posted by Maximmm
I'm in Adelaide and am looking at moving to Melbourne, Gold Coast or Brisbane to see if opportunities are better there. Can anyone give me any real idea of the availability of general office work (or something boat-related) in those areas? Adelaide is not the place for an outsider who's not a medico or similar tradie... Thanks guys
Have you considered Townsville? This place is booming, i got a job within 3 days of arriving, and my wife 5 weeks later. If you like warm weather this is the place, its beautiful, house prices are cheaper than Brisbane, although rising fast.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:36 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on what type of "general office work" you're talking about. There are opportunities in Adelaide for admin people to make a good living if you take the time to look for it.

Do you think that any other place is the place for you? With an attitude that you're an outsider, you will probably not settle anywhere.

For work opportunities try www.seek.com.au or www.careerone.com.au
Old Feb 16th 2008, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Canberra is the home of the shiny bum (office worker, esp public servant) but not sure that we have much to do with boats, being a couple of hours from the coast. However, quite a bit of office work outside of the public service for which you need to be either citizen or eligible to be a citizen.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I sympathise with you, I have applied for about 20 admin/accounts/various other office jobs this week and half of them have replied 'we are impressed with your resume, however we have found someone with Australian experience to fill the position'

It is disheartening isn't it?

I'm gonna hang in there though because I know that once someone gives me a chance they won't regret it. Just need to find that person to give me a go, which I will even if it kills me
Old Feb 16th 2008, 3:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It depends on what type of "general office work" you're talking about. There are opportunities in Adelaide for admin people to make a good living if you take the time to look for it.

Do you think that any other place is the place for you? With an attitude that you're an outsider, you will probably not settle anywhere.

For work opportunities try www.seek.com.au or www.careerone.com.au
Hey thanx for assuming the worst there. In all actuality, I've been here for 14 months and have applied for MANY jobs, none of which have lead to a permanent contract. Your comment has rather pissed me off so thanx for your opinion but please could you gracefully just leave this thread alone from now on?
Old Feb 16th 2008, 3:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wendy
I sympathise with you, I have applied for about 20 admin/accounts/various other office jobs this week and half of them have replied 'we are impressed with your resume, however we have found someone with Australian experience to fill the position'

It is disheartening isn't it?

I'm gonna hang in there though because I know that once someone gives me a chance they won't regret it. Just need to find that person to give me a go, which I will even if it kills me
Right with you there Wendy - my friend has an English degree in Travel and Tourism, has worked as a tour operator for years and got turned down for a job as a lowly travel agent because she was English (they actually said that). Adelaide is complete cliquesville so if you don't know the right people, you can just forget it. Bear in mind that most jobs advertised here are already filled and are only advertised as a formality, probably to satisfy some government regulation or other.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Right with you there Wendy - my friend has an English degree in Travel and Tourism, has worked as a tour operator for years and got turned down for a job as a lowly travel agent because she was English (they actually said that). Adelaide is complete cliquesville so if you don't know the right people, you can just forget it. Bear in mind that most jobs advertised here are already filled and are only advertised as a formality, probably to satisfy some government regulation or other.

Well I have just spent the last few hours totally re-vamping my CV and next week I am going to go down to the city and will register with a few agencies. See if I can get some temp work at least - I refuse to let them beat me (I'm very stubborn and no I didn't put that on my CV )
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:18 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Maximmm,

If you are really considering relocating for better opportunities then Brisbane wouldn't be a bad place as the labour market is currently tight as a.......well let's not go there! Gold Coast I'm not so sure about.

Like you mention in Adelaide there is a certain cliquiness and a lot of positions are filled by people who know people if you know what I mean.

The non-Australian experience thing is frustrating and in most cases unjustifiable. Find an organisation managed by non-Australians and you wont have a problem....I was interviewed by a scouser and a scotsman who couldn't care less where my experience was from.

B
Old Feb 16th 2008, 11:04 am
Banned

cufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant future

Why does everyone think they should be just walk into a job...it doesnt work like that anywhere in the world....someone i unfortunately met through work the other day....said " i think being english goes a long way in getting a job in Australia as were better trained" I just had a little smile to myself. It takes time everywhere you go and employers are only looking for the right person for the job. Being a migrant isnt easy ask the eastern europeans that migrate to the UK... they have it tough... because we are from the UK doesnt mean the red carpet should be laid out. You all agree
Old Feb 16th 2008, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

willow green is an unknown quantity at this point

"most jobs advertised here are already filled and are only advertised as a formality", is this a general thing across Australia or just in Adelaide? I am looking to move to Melbourne shortly, is Melbourne the same situation does anybody know?
Old Feb 16th 2008, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CraigSarahGeorge
Have you considered Townsville? This place is booming, i got a job within 3 days of arriving, and my wife 5 weeks later. If you like warm weather this is the place, its beautiful, house prices are cheaper than Brisbane, although rising fast.
Hi

My OH likes the look of Townsville and it does look very nice. Could you tell my a bit out the place if and when you have time, thanks in advance
OH is a baker and I have years of retail experience as well as office/admin work (IBM in Ireland). What is the job situation there? We have 2 children both school age, are the scholls good? Any info would be much appreciated

Helena
Old Feb 16th 2008, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willow green
"most jobs advertised here are already filled and are only advertised as a formality", is this a general thing across Australia or just in Adelaide? I am looking to move to Melbourne shortly, is Melbourne the same situation does anybody know?
It can be yes. I will walk into a job once I get there as my Uncle will pull a few strings for me. My sister got lots of well paid temp work when she spent 8 months in Melbourne as all arranged through family associates Sounds unfair but in a LOT of places it's not what you know but who
Old Feb 16th 2008, 9:25 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Well, Canberra is the home of the shiny bum (office worker, esp public servant) but not sure that we have much to do with boats, being a couple of hours from the coast.
You've got a lake, haven't you? What more do you want?
Old Feb 16th 2008, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cufc
Why does everyone think they should be just walk into a job...it doesnt work like that anywhere in the world....someone i unfortunately met through work the other day....said " i think being english goes a long way in getting a job in Australia as were better trained" I just had a little smile to myself. It takes time everywhere you go and employers are only looking for the right person for the job. Being a migrant isnt easy ask the eastern europeans that migrate to the UK... they have it tough... because we are from the UK doesnt mean the red carpet should be laid out. You all agree

I don't think after 14 months for the OP and nearly 2 years for me that either of us are 'expecting to walk straight into a job' do you Or is that not long enough to be looking for work and getting turned down Maybe we should 'expect to wait' another 5 years before we find work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.