Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where is good to live in Oz?

Old Apr 1st 2006, 9:31 am
Taking first steps...

Meryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant future
Question Where is good to live in Oz?

Hi
we are going through migration process at the mo and have always said we would go to Perth (Mandurah type place). No particular reason just heard its nice etc. I have read a few posts about Perth being well cut off fromthe rest of Oz. I know the distances involved are immence . What are internal flights like in Oz. When I last went in 1998 we got Ansett flights but it appears Ansett are no more!
I guess the one thing about Australia is that to go on holiday you can go somewhere spectacular within the country and not need to leave.
I just keep thinking though I wonder whether Brisbane or somewhere like that might be better?
We have no children, we are aged 30, want to live ina nice suburb 3 bedroom house near beach. Any ideas? Would like Sydney as have friends there but house prices appear to be ridiculous!
Any help appreciated....
Old Apr 1st 2006, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is good to live in Oz?

Everyone is going to have a different preference, you should visit the different cities and see which you prefer Personally I love living in Melbourne and wouldn't even think of going anywhere else but you will probably get more replies about Perth and Queensland
Old Apr 1st 2006, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

What line of work are you in.........that may determine best places for you.

Having said that, the area between Wollongong and Berry in NSW is lovely......superb beaches, nice place for family when you have kids, housing market is a buyers market right now, lovely scenery, you can drive to ski slopes in winter and you can holiday can you doorstep almost........its great.

Originally Posted by Meryn & Steve
Hi
we are going through migration process at the mo and have always said we would go to Perth (Mandurah type place). No particular reason just heard its nice etc. I have read a few posts about Perth being well cut off fromthe rest of Oz. I know the distances involved are immence . What are internal flights like in Oz. When I last went in 1998 we got Ansett flights but it appears Ansett are no more!
I guess the one thing about Australia is that to go on holiday you can go somewhere spectacular within the country and not need to leave.
I just keep thinking though I wonder whether Brisbane or somewhere like that might be better?
We have no children, we are aged 30, want to live ina nice suburb 3 bedroom house near beach. Any ideas? Would like Sydney as have friends there but house prices appear to be ridiculous!
Any help appreciated....
Old Apr 1st 2006, 10:17 am
Taking first steps...

Meryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Where is good to live in Oz?

Sounds lovely.
Husband is a joiner / flooring finisher and I am a Solicitor. Don't really want to be a solicitor in Oz though, looking for something completely different!

Perth is probably the one place in Oz I haven't been so don't really know why we randomly picked it. Maybe its because most brits go there. NSW sounds good though.

We don't really want kids but you never know. Maybe oz will change our minds!

Cheers!
Old Apr 1st 2006, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

With those professions....come down here as there is building work coming out of our ears.........

Originally Posted by Meryn & Steve
Sounds lovely.
Husband is a joiner / flooring finisher and I am a Solicitor. Don't really want to be a solicitor in Oz though, looking for something completely different!

Perth is probably the one place in Oz I haven't been so don't really know why we randomly picked it. Maybe its because most brits go there. NSW sounds good though.

We don't really want kids but you never know. Maybe oz will change our minds!

Cheers!
Old Apr 1st 2006, 10:41 am
Taking first steps...

Smile Re: Where is good to live in Oz?

Do you now live in Oz then? what town? what will we get for around $400k? i would love to live in that area as one of my best friends from school is in Sydney. she went ona working holiday visa and never came back! Unlike lots of others on this forum we have no friends or family in Oz! Why are we going??? Hmm oh yeah, sick of England....
Old Apr 1st 2006, 11:19 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Where is good to live in Oz?

Wherever you're happiest.

But since I don't know you, I am in no position to speculate on what might help you to achieve this goal.

My suggestion: compose a list of suitable criteria, visit Australia, look around, select a few areas, take a Captain Cook at them, judge them against your list, draw your own conclusions, and make your own decision.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Apr 1st 2006 at 11:23 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 10:34 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

Hard to answer. For us it boiled down to what we wanted for our day to day lives.

We had originally intended to live just outside melbourne. Then when we got here and saw some of the beaches and countryside, we thought they would be more appealing for our day to day lives than living in a city. We made a wish list ie, not more than 1 hour from city, not more than 1/2 hour drive from beach, job prospects, house prices etc etc so this helped narrow places down.

We loved Perth but just thought we would be too cut off. We got in the car in Melbourne, thought we'd check out Sydney (too expensive for us), then right up central coast (didn't tick all the boxes for some reason). 3 months later we were up as far as Queensland and starting to panic. Nowhere had ticked all the the boxes yet. Got a great feel about Brisbane as a city but didn;t want to live in a city.

Liked some of the country-ish places on the Gold Coast but drove further north through Sunshine Coast and didn't need to look any further.

Weather may also be an influence - I was ALWAYS cold in Uk so really decided I would need somewhere warm. NSW has great climate but all a bit expensive for us.

Good luck whatever you do