Reload this Page >

Where to go, where is booming?

Where to go, where is booming?

Old Feb 8th 2011, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

The_Improver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to go, where is booming?

Hi all, first post here

I am heading for QLD in May for a few weeks, was planning on flying into Brisbane, my purpose is to find work and an employer to sponsor me as it just takes too long for a skilled visa, I am in the construction trade with about 15 yrs experience mainly as a dryliner (partitioning and ceiling fixing) I have had 20 men work for me at the one time, I would be probably be looking more for a foreman roll but I won't be too fussy I want to move my wife and two young kids with one on the way to the QLD area , so just to ask anyone that can help what areas are busy out there and what would be my chances of getting a sponsorship? I will be trying to.arrange for interviews for when I arrive in May. Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Old Feb 8th 2011, 10:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to go, where is booming?

Originally Posted by The_Improver
Hi all, first post here

I am heading for QLD in May for a few weeks, was planning on flying into Brisbane, my purpose is to find work and an employer to sponsor me as it just takes too long for a skilled visa, I am in the construction trade with about 15 yrs experience mainly as a dryliner (partitioning and ceiling fixing) I have had 20 men work for me at the one time, I would be probably be looking more for a foreman roll but I won't be too fussy I want to move my wife and two young kids with one on the way to the QLD area , so just to ask anyone that can help what areas are busy out there and what would be my chances of getting a sponsorship? I will be trying to.arrange for interviews for when I arrive in May. Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Unlikely I'd say. The construction industry doesn't tend to employ people on a permanent basis, most of the workers are casual. They are unlikely to offer sponsorship to someone from a different country, without the necessary Australian licences when there are so many Australian qualified workers already on the ground looking for work.

Fair warning, your UK experience is unlikely to carry much weight with an Australian employer until you have converted to Australian licence so it matters not that you've been in charge of x number of workers. A visa takes the time it does, and even with sponsorship, it's not a quick process.

We've obviously got a fair amount of rebuilding starting after the floods and cyclone but that again, doesn't mean that you'll find it easy unfortunately.

No harm in trying though I guess, not sure you'll be able to line up interviews before hand though. Good luck
Old Feb 9th 2011, 1:24 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

You won't get a foremans role. You'll start from scratch here. Queensland is hardly booming but with the diasters there will be a little bit of work it won't take long to fix everything up
Old Feb 9th 2011, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, first post here

Thanks in advance
North QLD's been hit by the cyclone and needs rebuilding...
Old Feb 9th 2011, 3:02 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sure there will be thousands and thousands of British and Irish Backpackers who can fix that place up.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read this, but it may be of interest: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/flood-reconstruction.htm
Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
I'm sure there will be thousands and thousands of British and Irish Backpackers who can fix that place up.
Only if they have appropriate licences.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wendy
I haven't read this, but it may be of interest: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/flood-reconstruction.htm
Thanks Wendy,

I have spoke with some employment agencies and they have told me there is a very high demand for construction and trades persons in the Qld region due to flood damage , also that I would have a good chance of getting an employer to sponsor me, where it normally take 2-3 months for employer sponsorship to come through the government are passing them as soon as 5 days, I suppose I will find out for myself in May
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:21 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Only if they have appropriate licences.
hahahha I doubt it. Already seen on other boards employers looking for people without licences.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 3:28 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
hahahha I doubt it. Already seen on other boards employers looking for people without licences.
They have to meet the appropriate requirements for licensing.
http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/BuildersCo...rRecovery.aspx

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 9th 2011 at 3:34 pm. Reason: link
Old Feb 9th 2011, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Kamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud of

My husband has gone back to Queensland and picked up a job in his first week back. He had already applied for his blue card from here and just had to show id when he went back for them to send it to him (although you may need to be an Aussie citizen or have your visa already to do this). He also was able to do his licence test straight away and all of his UK experience did come in handy because he didn't have to complete the forty hours of training that was required as he had log books etc to show what he had done. It was a lot cheaper too (if you consider 700 australian cheap)

All the UK experience has come in handy as well as people offering him jobs have been really impressed with the work he has done, thats why he had four job offers to choose from.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Do all tradespeople require a BSA licence?

If you are working as sub-trade contractor or employee only or are providing demolition services or general labouring work, you will not need a BSA licence. In other words you will only need a BSA licence if you are contracting to a consumer or builder.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:14 pm
Home and Happy

Do all tradespeople require a BSA licence?

If you are working as sub-trade contractor or employee only or are providing demolition services or general labouring work, you will not need a BSA licence. In other words you will only need a BSA licence if you are contracting to a consumer or builder.
Yep, whatever the job you are in you need the appropriate licence,as I said. It may be that the appropriate licence is the one held by the person for whom you are sub-contracting, if that covers your work as well. For pure demolition and labouring, they are willing to let you work it seems without a licence, but I will take a lot more than that to "fix the place up".
Plenty of people on here who can give more detailed info on what you can or can't do on the various licences, too much of a minefield for me to dig into further. There are also loads of threads on it if you want more detail.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

seppo is an unknown quantity at this point

No you only need it to setup business or subcontract

I do dry Lining/plastering and you've got to think simple..no one will sponsor a "sheeter' that I know of

Brisbane do need dry liners (sheet fixers) but just look on the Brisbane gumtree site under construction jobs the big employment sites don't usually cater for what is considered..but we know it ain't...non skilled labour.

White card..a must www.bluedogtraining.com.au like a cscs card online and sent to the UK.

Dry liner/plasterers are in great demand despite the rumours for the flood damage!

http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/f-Job...0QQCatIdZ18346