Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to go in Scotland, before we GO!!

Where to go in Scotland, before we GO!!

Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Default Where to go in Scotland, before we GO!!

Just 86 days to go before we leave Bonnie Scotland for the sunny shores of Australia :scared:

With so little time left, only a dozen or so weekends, just wondering if you could give us a help with some ideas of where to go, places to go see etc.

We are going to go up the west coast, but nothing else planned.

Any suggestions appreciated

Bill
Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:26 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to go in Scotland, before we GO!!

youve got to do Glencoe.........and also Dumfries and Galloway is Gorgeous during May/June ....hubby used to work uo at Thurso.....loads of beautiful drives up there...along past Tongue etc
Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by biggy
youve got to do Glencoe.........and also Dumfries and Galloway is Gorgeous during May/June ....hubby used to work uo at Thurso.....loads of beautiful drives up there...along past Tongue etc
Oh and if u like rollercoasters n shit then u gotta go to M&D's 20 miles south of Glasgow...its fabby do.

www.scotlandsthemepark.co.uk ..I think
Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by biggy

Was down in Ayrshire last week, to visit Rabbie Burns Hoose, was lovely down in Alloway. I also go up Thurso direction with work and will be up there on Thursday, it is magic up there, we drove from Lybster to Durness to Skye last year, one of the worlds great drives i say!!

Bill
Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:40 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Oban - lovely place, Callender (more Perth way though), Loch Earnhead is nice as well - Could go on & on!!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
Was down in Ayrshire last week, to visit Rabbie Burns Hoose, was lovely down in Alloway. I also go up Thurso direction with work and will be up there on Thursday, it is magic up there, we drove from Lybster to Durness to Skye last year, one of the worlds great drives i say!!

Bill

I bet it was a gorg drive...we did the thurso-tongue drive one day..kids got bored tho Hubby worked at Douneray for 4 years he liked it up there
Old Apr 4th 2005, 11:57 pm
NO 8 THE LEGEND

Lerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond repute

Just 86 days to go before we leave Bonnie Scotland for the sunny shores of Australia :scared:

With so little time left, only a dozen or so weekends, just wondering if you could give us a help with some ideas of where to go, places to go see etc.

Bill
Glencoe Pass & Fort William. Glencoe alone makes you realise what a special country Scotland is.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 12:04 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The drive from Aberdeen via Balmoral (the Lochnagar distillery is nearby as well) and down to Perth is beautiful.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

KBREMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

Bill
Go to the Highlands-Cairngorms/Inverness/Farr North West/John O Groats/Orkney/Fort William/Skye/Wester Ross/Ullapool/Stornaway......

If You need more specifics email me

Cheers

KB
Old Apr 5th 2005, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bill
Celtic Park to see the champions elect
Old Apr 5th 2005, 2:41 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

How about jumping off the suspension bridge at Cambus o May, ok maybe not at this time of year, its something i used to see people doing on fine days and wish i'd had the guts to do it.

Lynn
Old Apr 5th 2005, 3:55 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Bill....

We went off on our travels for a last look at Scotland before we left as well.

From East Kilbride, we drove north along the Loch Lomond road to the very tip of the loch, then headed up towards Rannoch Moor & Glencoe.
At the entrance to Glencoe is my favorite Scottish mountain, "Buachaille Etive Mor" which looked fantastic as usual.
We stopped in Glencoe for a while & got some good pictures.
It was one of those damp mornings where it's permanently, 'nearly raining', & a wee bit misty. This made for some amazing views.

Jumped in the car again, & headed off past Ballachulish & then up to Fort William. Wandered around town for a while & then headed a few miles north to Spean Bridge, where we found ourselves a hotel.

Spean Bridge is a lovely wee village, which is steeped in a lot of military history. We loved it & stayed there for 2 days. On the second day we had arranged to meet up with friends of ours, (who, BTW, are members of this forum, & were granted their Oz PR visas last weekend), for the next stage of the journey.

We were heading for Skye, to stay for a few days.
They don't any more, but our friends used to live on Skye, (6 years), so they were looking forward to going back.

We drove out of Spean Bridge, & along The Great Glen, crossing the river just north of Loch Lochy. We then headed westward, through Glen Moriston and on towards the Kyle Of Lochalsh & the Skye bridge. The scenery on that part of the journey was nothing short of breathtaking! I nearly crashed the car a couple of times, I was so busy looking out the windows!

Skye is a beautiful island, and very mountainous.
I had though, seen pictures & heard a lot about The Cullin Hills. They were amazing! Very dark, jagged peaks, arranged in a rough horse shoe shape around a sea loch called Loch Coruisk. Reminded me a bit of, "Mordor" from The Lord Of The Rings. The Cullin's are a Mecca for rock climbers from all over the world.
I was under the impression that The Cullin's were the only real mountain range on Skye, but the whole island is very hilly.

Our buddies showed us all the best places to go, and to stop.... for a beer!
All the road signs on Skye are printed in English AND Gaelic. A lot of the islanders still speak the Gaelic. I heard it spoken a few times in the pub.

After 4 days on Skye, we parted company with our friends. They went home the way they came, but I was on a mission! I was heading for Tain!
Why Tain?? Cos that's where the Glenmorangie Distillery is!

Glenmorangie is, by far, my favorite Malt Whisky, & I always said that I would do the distillery tour before emigrating to Oz. So off we went, passing more beautiful scenery that is The North West Highlands.
Tain is on the east coast, on the Dornoch Firth. We arrived in the afternoon & did the distillery tour, which was great. The never ending free samples at the end were even better!!

It was only a short drive to Inverness, where we checked into a hotel for the night.
The next morning we headed south down the A9, through Kingussie, Perth, Stirling & finally back home.

We had a brilliant time, & would recommend everyone does a tour of their home country before making the big move.

Best of luck Bill.... Cheers.... John...
Old Apr 5th 2005, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Where to go in Scotland, before we GO!!

Originally Posted by Scossie
Hey Bill....

From East Kilbride, we drove north along the Loch Lomond road to the very tip of the loch, then headed up towards Rannoch Moor & Glencoe.
At the entrance to Glencoe is my favorite Scottish mountain, "Buachaille Etive Mor" which looked fantastic as usual.
It was one of those damp mornings where it's permanently, 'nearly raining', & a wee bit misty. This made for some amazing views.

Jumped in the car again, & headed off past Ballachulish & then up to Fort William. Wandered around town for a while & then headed a few miles north to Spean Bridge, where we found ourselves a hotel.

Spean Bridge is a lovely wee village, which is steeped in a lot of military history. We loved it & stayed there for 2 days. On the second day we had arranged to meet up with friends of ours, (who, BTW, are members of this forum, & were granted their Oz PR visas last weekend), for the next stage of the journey.

They don't any more, but our friends used to live on Skye, (6 years), so they were looking forward to going back.

We drove out of Spean Bridge, & along The Great Glen, crossing the river just north of Loch Lochy. We then headed westward, through Glen Moriston and on towards the Kyle Of Lochalsh & the Skye bridge. The scenery on that part of the journey was nothing short of breathtaking! I nearly crashed the car a couple of times, I was so busy looking out the windows!

I had though, seen pictures & heard a lot about The Cullin Hills. They were amazing! Very dark, jagged peaks, arranged in a rough horse shoe shape around a sea loch called Loch Coruisk. Reminded me a bit of, "Mordor" from The Lord Of The Rings. The Cullin's are a Mecca for rock climbers from all over the world.
I was under the impression that The Cullin's were the only real mountain range on Skye, but the whole island is very hilly.

All the road signs on Skye are printed in English AND Gaelic. A lot of the islanders still speak the Gaelic. I heard it spoken a few times in the pub.

After 4 days on Skye, we parted company with our friends. They went home the way they came, but I was on a mission! I was heading for Tain!

Glenmorangie is, by far, my favorite Malt Whisky, & I always said that I would do the distillery tour before emigrating to Oz. So off we went, passing more beautiful scenery that is The North West Highlands.
Tain is on the east coast, on the Dornoch Firth. We arrived in the afternoon & did the distillery tour, which was great. The never ending free samples at the end were even better!!

It was only a short drive to Inverness, where we checked into a hotel for the night.
The next morning we headed south down the A9, through Kingussie, Perth, Stirling & finally back home.

We had a brilliant time, & would recommend everyone does a tour of their home country before making the big move.

FANTASTIC !!!! Just add in GLENFINNIN and climb up the monument. Turn around and have a look at the viaduct (if thats what it's called). It's the view of the railway bridge made famous by the Harry Potter movies.Beautiful !! Also , do some other heritage stuff , 'cause once you get here , you'll never witness history or buildings of that age again.

Scossie ,
Is there something about the name John and Glenmorangie ?
My husbands favourite too , but he's drinking Bowmore just now because it's so cheap ! Too peaty for me though !
Oh and we eloped to the highlands and honeymooned in "ROY BRIDGE".
First time in 10 years we haven't been back !

Do as much as you can and if you can manage squeeze in a trip to London and see the changing of the guard etc. well worth the time.

All the best,
Tass.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jasonK944
Celtic Park to see the champions elect

That would be taking it tooo far!!

Bill (dons fan) :scared:
Old Apr 5th 2005, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scossie
Hey Bill....

John

I have a tear in my eye, what we are leaving behind :scared:

Cheers John

Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.