Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where to go in OZ

where to go in OZ

Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

bobstevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default where to go in OZ

I have been offered a job as an Air Conditioning Engineer in the Gold Coast area, but we can't decided where to go. Either the gold coast or Brisbane, or look for another job in the Melbourne area, has any got any good or bad experiences of living int he gold coast area
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: where to go in OZ

Does anyone live in that area ?
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:10 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobstevens
Does anyone live in that area ?
Ho Bob.

Your first post was 2.20am here so most people were in bed.
The second one is noon and most people will be doing their Saturday travels.

You should get feedback this evening - our time.

I think you will get positive feedback about the GC.
The further North you go the more work for A/C so wouldn't have thought Mellie would be so good.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that. There seems to be loads of work for me in the Gold Coast Area.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:17 am
ABCDiamond

I have been offered a job as an Air Conditioning Engineer in the Gold Coast area, but we can't decided where to go. Either the gold coast or Brisbane, or look for another job in the Melbourne area, has any got any good or bad experiences of living int he gold coast area
It's only about an hour between Brisbane and the Gold Coast, so live in between, and get the best of both worlds

If you have been offered a job, it is often worth taking it, then see how the land lies, and move on to something different IF you so chose.

Having had that first job, gives you the important "LOCAL" experience, which goes a long way for the 2nd job etc.

Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Goldie every time. 50% of Meli houses do not have air con anyway as it is too bitchin cold most of the year so there is no choice really for your line of work mate.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gold Coaster
Goldie every time. 50% of Meli houses do not have air con anyway as it is too bitchin cold most of the year so there is no choice really for your line of work mate.
I wouldn't say it was 'bitchin cold' most fo the year, but you are right it is pretty cold in winter. The Sunshine state isn't the only state to require air conditioning I expect you would get more work up tere though
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:36 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Teliko21
I wouldn't say it was 'bitchin cold' most fo the year, but you are right it is pretty cold in winter. The Sunshine state isn't the only state to require air conditioning I expect you would get more work up tere though
But you need it down there to warm you up, we need it to cool down

Actually it gets cold up here to, and the reverse cycle part is useful in the winter.

Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:37 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Teliko21

Hes a wee bit of a wuss, he moans about the cold a lot.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But you need it down there to warm you up, we need it to cool down

Actually it gets cold up here to, and the reverse cycle part is useful in the winter.
Hahaha I can't wait until our house is built, here we have no air conditioning at all so it is too hot in summer and too cold in winter :P
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

But is the life style in Brisbane better than the Gold Coast, the wife seems to think it is too commercial, and think it will be full of tourist.

We live about 30 miles from Skegness, I know the two dont even come close but the same mentality comes in, people just there for their holiday, having a good time, no real community !
Old Feb 11th 2006, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Hes a wee bit of a wuss, he moans about the cold a lot.

Lol, only on the cold days. :
Old Feb 11th 2006, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

what are the high schools like on the Gold Coast, any Idea's.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

But is the life style in Brisbane better than the Gold Coast, the wife seems to think it is too commercial, and think it will be full of tourist.

We live about 30 miles from Skegness, I know the two dont even come close but the same mentality comes in, people just there for their holiday, having a good time, no real community !
We have been living here on the GC since Dec 05 and we have been most impressed with our life here, for us its the best place to be in OZ!!
IMO the GC has a very high standard of living. There are some very expensive houses and apartments and there are areas where the rest of us live with very nice communities and good schools.
It may appear commercial to those who do not know the area but the commercial bit is very small compared to the GC area as a whole. It can take a good half hour to drive the GC from north to south and many people live on big blocks near the countryside. We live in the GC hinterland and are very near the beaches yet it feels a long way from surfers!!
We live in a small cul de sac of about 20+ houses and have made more friends here than we've ever made, people seem to go out of their way to ask you to a barbi, Australia day party or an evening out!! Our house backs onto countryside yet we are only 5 minutes to the town and 10 minutes to the beach.
We looked at Brisbane but felt the GC has more the lifestyle we're looking for, we wanted to be in easy reach of a good beach and wanted facilities for our 3 kids aged 16,12 and 10. We found Brisbane had lots of work but its overall feel for us is that it is a city, or a country town compared to Melbourne, and altho its busier than the GC we (and especially our kids!) prefer it here.

We also looked at living in Melbourne when we first arrived in September 05 but we were shocked by the cold, wet, weather then. I ended up wearing more clothes in Melbourne than I did in the UK for the first month I was there. Melbourne seemed too big a city and too industrial for us. It was only when we discovered Berwick, Mount Eliza and Mornington we felt we could live there but because of the weather and the drive into the city, tolls, traffic etc, we decided to try elsewhere.
The message I'm trying to say is that you really have to check the places out for yourselves and think what is important to your family, i would recommend the GC, its a LOT better than a lot of poms think it is.... the only drawback can be the work situation but I would give it a try!!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, I see you also have teenage kids, how did the school transfer go ? did they settle quickly and how have they found the standard ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.