Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to go for NYE in Sydney

Where to go for NYE in Sydney

Old Dec 8th 2007, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice
Default Where to go for NYE in Sydney

I'd like to watch the NYE fireworks in Sydney. I have 2 young kids (3 & 5) and wondered whether anyone had any ideas as to where the best place is to watch with them. We're happy to make a day of it with picnic tea etc. if it means getting a good view!
Old Dec 9th 2007, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to go for NYE in Sydney

Hi Katherine

A couple of years ago we took the kids and my mum and dad to Blues point reserve. It's just in front of the bridge and easy to get to on the train. It's then a short walk down the hill (take push chairs) to the point. We took a beach tent with us along with chairs etc. It's right by the water so the kids can paddle and there is a kids play area. There are toilets brought in for the night which were pretty good.

Rudi
x
Old Dec 9th 2007, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Hi Katherine/Rudi

Last NYE friends of ours went down to Blues Point with their kids, 6 and 8, and said it was the scariest experience of their life. There were just too many people with no crowd control until it looked like a major disaster was about to happen, and then police got involved. They were stuck down the bottom of the hill, not being able to turn round, with fences either side and crowds of people coming down on top of them. They eventually jumped a fence and got major hassle but said that they really feared for their safety. Hopefully people will have learnt from the experience and there will be better crowd control this year, but I've got to say it is the one place in town where I will not be going for New Year!

M x
Old Dec 9th 2007, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey - that sounds awful!!! Completely different to how it was for us!!! It was just happy and relaxed when we were there. We had the 3 kids with us and never felt unsafe at all. We stayed until midnight - not just the 9pm fireworks.

Isn't it sad when things like that happen, really spoiled their new year I should imagine.

Rudi
x

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
Hi Katherine/Rudi

Last NYE friends of ours went down to Blues Point with their kids, 6 and 8, and said it was the scariest experience of their life. There were just too many people with no crowd control until it looked like a major disaster was about to happen, and then police got involved. They were stuck down the bottom of the hill, not being able to turn round, with fences either side and crowds of people coming down on top of them. They eventually jumped a fence and got major hassle but said that they really feared for their safety. Hopefully people will have learnt from the experience and there will be better crowd control this year, but I've got to say it is the one place in town where I will not be going for New Year!

M x
Old Dec 9th 2007, 10:16 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rudi
Blimey - that sounds awful!!! Completely different to how it was for us!!! It was just happy and relaxed when we were there. We had the 3 kids with us and never felt unsafe at all. We stayed until midnight - not just the 9pm fireworks.

Isn't it sad when things like that happen, really spoiled their new year I should imagine.

Rudi
x
There's loads of places to see the fireworks from - where abouts in Sydney will you be coming from? This will affect your choice.

We were out on a boat last year and whilst expensive was very good. This year we're wandering down to our local pak in Balmain with an esky full of beer. Blues Point reserve will be good as mentioned - it's a 10 minute walk from North Sydney station. Milsons Point is just about under the bridge but I'd hate to think of the crowds there TBH. There is a very useful website http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/nye/ which gives loads of info on where the vantage points are and toilet facilities etc...

Have a great time wherever you end up!

Graham
Old Dec 9th 2007, 10:58 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Rudi - that just confirms you're mad I have very fond memories of NYE in Sydney (got married in the shade of a tree near Mrs Macquarie's Chair) but can't imagine taking small kids into those crowds Getting back to our hotel was hell too, we walked miles.

We did go out on a boat, which was great fun, but I wonder do any of them accommodate small kids?
Old Dec 9th 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Seasider
Rudi - that just confirms you're mad I have very fond memories of NYE in Sydney (got married in the shade of a tree near Mrs Macquarie's Chair) but can't imagine taking small kids into those crowds Getting back to our hotel was hell too, we walked miles.

We did go out on a boat, which was great fun, but I wonder do any of them accommodate small kids?
I swear I just replied to this message?! Where is my reply? I was just abouts to tell you I was not mad.....but it seems like I am!

Anyway, what it said was......

Are you going to be spending your new years in Sydney from now on Ms Smith?

Love Rudi
xxx
Old Dec 10th 2007, 12:11 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still working on that one
Old Dec 10th 2007, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

We just got tickets to be at Potts Point. As we have only been here 4 weeks I wouldn't have a clue if it will be ok? Just looking forward to making our dreams a reality and seeing the new year in and living in Oz
Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:59 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Josie1100
We just got tickets to be at Potts Point. As we have only been here 4 weeks I wouldn't have a clue if it will be ok? Just looking forward to making our dreams a reality and seeing the new year in and living in Oz
I just hope this bloomin' weather cheers up by NYE!
Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Thanks for all the suggestions....
~Will look into them all.....
Old Dec 14th 2007, 5:11 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner
I just hope this bloomin' weather cheers up by NYE!
rain forecast outlook has no rain from 30th Dec to 10th Jan (inclusive), so if that can be relied upon (doubt it!) then should be at least dry. It was overcast (better for fireworks) with no rain last year - I would have hated to be out that long in the blazing sun & heat.

Last year we took 2yr old and 2mth old by the SOH for the 9pm fireworks. It actually was not the best vantage point, given that there were 6 (or was it 8?) barges along the harbour with fireworks. Leaving and getting a train to the Nth shores we had no problems, and felt confident/safe to take the little ones.

This year we have tickets for the Cahill Express (they close it off, which saves having to dodge the traffic) - in about Oct we called a number to register to enter a free draw for the tickets, so a bit late for this year, although we do have 1 spare ticket if there is a billy no mates out there!!
Old Dec 14th 2007, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

ulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant future

Circular Key is good and we got tickets to an event on the harbour the day before. Think it was $75 and included one drink. That was on the waters edge but probably not ideal for 3 and 5 year olds.

We got to Circular key at about 12pm as other people started arriving with Eskies ready for the night.

Every bar member we met was British too! Good night but a long day in the sun. They closed all the neighbouring streets off at 12am as there were so many revellers walking back.

This was 02/03 New Year.