Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to go on holiday!!

Where to go on holiday!!

Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:22 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to go on holiday!!

Originally Posted by sr71
I've read some pretty cliched rubbish on here , but that comment has to take the prize.

Bangkok is one of the worlds great cities, shopping, food, quality nightlife, hotels, spas and markets etc are all easily amongst the worlds best. As a coity destination in Asia it cannot be beat.
Well I disagree - I've been there about 20 times on business. Compared to other Asian cities it's tedious, gridlocked with traffic, full of western and Aussie sex tourists and polluted. What does coity mean? Would you really send someone there for a holiday? Maybe for a day or two but that's it.

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Jan 19th 2012 at 9:39 am.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Well I disagree - I've been there about 20 times on business. Compared to other Asian cities it's tedious , full of sex tourists and polluted. What does coity mean? Would you really send someone there for a holiday? Maybe for a day or two but that's it.
Likewise, probably been their upwards of 100 times now, most of that working for a multinational company. You seem to have a reverse perception from the majority of people in your opinion of Bangkok.

If you want tedious then try Singapore, KL, Jakarta, Manila, dozens of nondescript Chinese cities - but certainly not Bangkok.

I certainly have not seen many sex tourists, but then I don't go to the 2-3 places where you would see them in a city of 8+ million. I'm not saying they don't go there, but there are far better places for sex tourists than Bangkok, like Pattaya, Patong etc.

Just browse somewhere like here to see what is available there these days :

http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok

*coity should have been city

Would I send someone there for a holiday? Probably not, but it would depend on what they want out of a holiday.

Last edited by sr71; Jan 19th 2012 at 9:42 am.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:47 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Likewise, probably been their upwards of 100 times now, most of that working for a multinational company. You seem to have a reverse perception from the majority of people in your opinion of Bangkok.

If you want tedious then try Singapore, KL, Jakarta, Manila, dozens of nondescript Chinese cities - but certainly not Bangkok.

I certainly have not seen many sex tourists, but then I don't go to the 2-3 places where you would see them in a city of 8+ million. I'm not saying they don't go there, but there are far better places for sex tourists than Bangkok, like Pattaya, Patong etc.

Just browse somewhere like here to see what is available there these days :

http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok

*coity should have been city

Would I send someone there for a holiday? Probably not, but it would depend on what they want out of a holiday.
The thread is about ideas for a family holiday. I was saying I think Bangkok wouldn't be the place.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 10:52 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itigo
KL and Penang/Langkawi?

Love both Penang and Langkawi. Lots of sights to see and things to do but equally good hotels with pools for lazies who want to veg by the pool......

We are doing Phuket/Koh Samui later this year. Used to go to Phuket when younger, last time was 1994....
My husband is currently working in KL and in the July school hols we are doing a few days in KL and some time in Langkawi! Can't wait, I have heard lots of good things.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
My husband is currently working in KL and in the July school hols we are doing a few days in KL and some time in Langkawi! Can't wait, I have heard lots of good things.
We went to KL in August on the way back from Ireland.Loved the food and shopping and will go there again.Didn't go to Langkawi but hope to next time.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to Langkawi I would recommend the Casa Del Mar Hotel. Small boutique hotel with only about 35 rooms - rated No1 on Trip Advisor and worth it. Alternatively you could try the Berjaya a 3.5/4 mstar resort in the rain forest but a VERY large resort and will be VERY busy that time of year from visitors from the Middle East - this can be a bit off putting for some people. Went to a fabulous restaurant just near the Berjaya which was fabulous and worth a visit.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Does Bangkok appeal to anyone other than sex tourists?
That's a stupid thing to say, Bangkok is one of the great Asian cities and the sex industry is a minute part of the city. Great value, fantastic food, cool bars and clubs, good shopping, some ok cultural sites and some good day trips.

Me i prefer Pattaya
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

When you're in KL, find a shop called Peter Hoe. Fantastic housey stuff and batiks and jewellery.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 10:18 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookster
Just fancied hearing your thoughts on where to go on holiday in May/June from Brisbane..... 2 adults and possibly 1 16 yr old, (only if its a cool place!!!!)
I was thinking of Penang, but noticed its wet season!!!!!!
Thoughts anyone?
Angela
Hamilton Island, Whitsundays
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

May in Far North Tropical Queensland was lovely last year. We stayed in Palm Cove, just north of Cairns and it was beautiful. Loads of lovely hotels and restaurants all on your doorstep. And of course, the Great Barrier Reef for snorkeling, just fabulous.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 10:01 am
Just Joined

FitzroyLions is an unknown quantity at this point

New Caledonia or Vanuatu ?
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 7:44 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely recommend Kiwiland!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 8:30 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Isle of Skye
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 9:01 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrip
Isle of Skye
Beautiful... stayed in Portree for 3 days late 90's... scenery was stunning, early morning mist, Talisker distillery, people selling jumpers from their cottages... did a loop up the East coast (mainland) and down the West over 2 weeks...
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

Well I disagree - I've been there about 20 times on business. Compared to other Asian cities it's tedious, gridlocked with traffic, full of western and Aussie sex tourists and polluted. What does coity mean? Would you really send someone there for a holiday? Maybe for a day or two but that's it.

Bangkok is an amazing city everybody should visit it at least once in their lifetime
maybe not for a 2 week holiday but if you go to thailand you have to visit Bangkok

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.