Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to go before you go...

Where to go before you go...

Old Jan 26th 2006, 8:30 pm
Laura & Nick

ljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant future
Question Where to go before you go...

Hi

We're moving to Oz in around 4 months (fingers crossed!) and want to explore as much of Europe as we can (via weekend city breaks as we work full time).

We were wondering what everyone thought the 'must see' places are...

We've booked 2 trips so far - the Ice Hotel in Sweden, and Barcelona. Where else should we go?

Anyone's experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
L
Old Jan 26th 2006, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Where to go before you go...

Originally Posted by ljk888
Hi

We're moving to Oz in around 4 months (fingers crossed!) and want to explore as much of Europe as we can (via weekend city breaks as we work full time).

We've booked 2 trips so far - the Ice Hotel in Sweden, and Barcelona. Where else should we go?

Thanks
L
Have you tryed prague its brill 40 pence a pint in the locals bars,
there was 8 of us and we did 60 pints and a couple of tiquilas and the bill was about £25 :scared: . but appart from the beer there is some great sights to see
Old Jan 26th 2006, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all
Default Re: Where to go before you go...

Hi

Thanks
L
Sothern Ireland (the North is just as nice before I get panned).

Not the usual holiday in Dublin but explore Co. Tipperary , Wexford, Gallway , any of the " rugged Counties".
]
Still the most memorable holiday of my life

Last edited by halcyon 52; Jan 26th 2006 at 9:42 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 9:38 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

I never went to the Lake District and wish I had now!

Louise
Old Jan 26th 2006, 10:15 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

amsterdam!!!!

excellent

jan xx
Old Jan 26th 2006, 10:34 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
L
Hang on tight to your handbags and wallets in Barcelona. Thieving sods

I'd trawl around the UK rather than Europe personally.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Hang on tight to your handbags and wallets in Barcelona. Thieving sods

I'd trawl around the UK rather than Europe personally.
barcelona is great,but def hold on to you purse.mine got nicked.we also went to prague,absolutley gorgeous.i then left my purse in a shop.the owner locked the shop and chased after me with it.(brill)am now going to ireland for paddys day so that will be great,get to see all my mad family.am hoping to go to amsterdam with college to see the tulip fields in april.if we have any money left we would love to go to Edinburgh with the kids.then when we are broke we can remember all the good times.!!!!! x irishbloo
Old Jan 27th 2006, 8:16 am
Laura & Nick

ljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant future
Red face Re: Where to go before you go...

Already done most of the UK (apart from places like Salisbury and Bath), as well as Ireland (where my family come from)...

Amsterdam - totally agree!

Prague - just been to Budapest (which was brilliant)... is that too similar?

Right, can anyone recommend (as 'must see' places to visit):
Prague
Rome
Nice
Sardinia
Sicily
Athens
Faro
Valencia

??

Thanks!
Old Jan 27th 2006, 8:35 am
Running on the spot.

rugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to behold

Rome is the best city i've seen in Europe! Just stunning!If possible go valentines weekend and then you can go see England v Italy in the 6 Nations rugby at the stadio Flaminio in Rome for a special valentines treat!!
Old Jan 27th 2006, 8:35 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been to Edinburgh....will definitely go and visit soon though!
Old Jan 27th 2006, 9:16 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Cassis, France - bit pricey, but a great weekend break - stunning scenery.

http://www.provencebeyond.com/villages/cassis.html

Have seen a bit of Europe and the rest of the world, in hind site, wish I had spent more time checking out the UK.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljj
I never went to the Lake District and wish I had now!

Louise
Its beautiful , but then Im biased its just down the road
Old Jan 27th 2006, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
L
Before coming here I worked around europe an d asia,Germany is brilliant,go to Frankfurt and get the train down the Rhine to Amsterdam(not the same since chinatown was knocked down in mid 80,s),go through Koblenz and Mainz before it leaves the river to go to A/dam.Kassel is beautiful on the old east german border,Berlin had great nightlife and a visit to east germany was good (not possible now the wall is down).See the beaches in northumberland (have a bottle of brown ale for me).Try some of the small resorts in Holland (Noordwijk and Katwijk,they had good nightlife).Blackpool is a must.Stop off in Thailand on the way over and see Chiang mai and Sukothai,pick up a cheap flight to Hong Kong disneyland and Singapore,Good luck.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:13 pm
Laura & Nick

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
Before coming here I worked around europe an d asia,Germany is brilliant,go to Frankfurt and get the train down the Rhine to Amsterdam(not the same since chinatown was knocked down in mid 80,s),go through Koblenz and Mainz before it leaves the river to go to A/dam.Kassel is beautiful on the old east german border,Berlin had great nightlife and a visit to east germany was good (not possible now the wall is down).See the beaches in northumberland (have a bottle of brown ale for me).Try some of the small resorts in Holland (Noordwijk and Katwijk,they had good nightlife).Blackpool is a must.Stop off in Thailand on the way over and see Chiang mai and Sukothai,pick up a cheap flight to Hong Kong disneyland and Singapore,Good luck.
I know! I'd never been to Germany until last Summer, but we did a roadtrip to Kassel then down Romantic Road, through mountains to Lake Garda, Verona, Milan (Monza GP) than back through France. Germany really suprised me, as it was the nicest place out of everywhere we went...

From Newcastle originally so know about the great beaches (shame about the weather ), will give Blackpool a try through

Cheers for the suggestions!

L