Where to go

Old May 13th 2008, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Munchkins is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Where to go

Hi

We are a young couple, Graham has travelled extensively before and adores Oz (he was born in shorts and flip flops) and I haven't yet been but we are going in November for 3 weeks - nothing booked just want some ideas on where to go, must sees etc....

A shade premature perhaps, but if I love it too and if we get out there again next year we would consider relocating out there on a more permanent basis. We have family in Perth and friends in Cairns and Sydney. All of them argue their city is the best! So any feedback much appreciated!!! Graham is a skilled worker, but I'm not, we have done a points score on migration expert which indicated that we would have enough points based purely on his qualifications and work experience

However after reading the posts on here we are a little apprehensive as many of the posts by younger couples are negative!

Do you all want to move home???!! Surely the lifestyle surpasses anything that can be offered in England (unless you're mega rich!)

Please let us know........
Old May 13th 2008, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where to go

Originally Posted by Munchkins
Hi

We are a young couple, Graham has travelled extensively before and adores Oz (he was born in shorts and flip flops) and I haven't yet been but we are going in November for 3 weeks - nothing booked just want some ideas on where to go, must sees etc....

A shade premature perhaps, but if I love it too and if we get out there again next year we would consider relocating out there on a more permanent basis. We have family in Perth and friends in Cairns and Sydney. All of them argue their city is the best! So any feedback much appreciated!!! Graham is a skilled worker, but I'm not, we have done a points score on migration expert which indicated that we would have enough points based purely on his qualifications and work experience

However after reading the posts on here we are a little apprehensive as many of the posts by younger couples are negative!

Do you all want to move home???!! Surely the lifestyle surpasses anything that can be offered in England (unless you're mega rich!)

Hi,

We are waiting for our visa and are hoping to head for Gold Coast/Sunhine Coast, can't make up our minds We are a youngish couple with 2 children 8 & 5. My husband and I don't really have many friends, certainly none that we would give up our dream for. It all depends on what you want from life. In my experience friends come and go and you can always make more in Oz. We are also not that close to our families either we sound terrible, don't we but we are a family unit now and our children are all that matter to us. This move is for their future as well as ours. Best of luck with your decision
Helena
Old May 13th 2008, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by helena39
Hi,

We are waiting for our visa and are hoping to head for Gold Coast/Sunhine Coast, can't make up our minds We are a youngish couple with 2 children 8 & 5. My husband and I don't really have many friends, certainly none that we would give up our dream for. It all depends on what you want from life. In my experience friends come and go and you can always make more in Oz. We are also not that close to our families either we sound terrible, don't we but we are a family unit now and our children are all that matter to us. This move is for their future as well as ours. Best of luck with your decision
Helena
That sounds great, when are you looking to go?

Have you been out there much before? Good luck to you, our friends and family are important, however as we have no mortgage or children we figured that nows better than ever to try it!!

You're v brave, I hope it all works for you, let me know where you end up!

Laura
Old May 13th 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

That sounds great, when are you looking to go?

Have you been out there much before? Good luck to you, our friends and family are important, however as we have no mortgage or children we figured that nows better than ever to try it!!

You're v brave, I hope it all works for you, let me know where you end up!

Laura
Hi Laura,

We have never been before. My brother and his wife lived in Perth for many years and have moved to the Sunshine Coast about 18 months ago. They love it there. I think if you guys have no kids "why not" what have you got to lose? It will be a great advanture and one I am sure a lot of your friends would be green with envy and wish they were you....
Helena
Old May 13th 2008, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

sutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Where to go

Hi
My names Mandy, new member yeaterday. I am 30, married to my hubby whom is 33 and have 3 daughters 9, 11 and 7months. We have never been to australia but are looking at moving there. I totally agree with you, our children are our family, although we do have family but not that close. We have just had out TRA back and waiting for my hubby to do his practical in july. We really have no idea where to go in oz, so any info would be great.
Thanks
Old May 13th 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

Hi
we are on the Gold coast.. love it here, everything is so accessible.
Beaches, stadiums and parks, and Brisbane is an hours drive when we want to go up there.. which to be quite honest isn't too often as we feel we have what we need here on our doorstep.
Its a personal choice as to what you really want out of life.. but for us the move here couldn't have been better. Good luck
Old May 13th 2008, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

What do you define as better. We expect better weather, but no long summer night to be had in Aus.
Wages lower, costs about the same.
Is swings and roundabouts, just depends on what you value most. IF we can get a similar lifestyle in Aus as we have in UK we'll be happy. Must be one of the few looking for something different rather than trying to escape the so called crap UK. Life in North Yorks is lovely, may be you should try it
Old May 13th 2008, 10:53 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Munchkin,

There's no reason why the Aussie lifestyle should 'surely' surpass anything that England can offer. Lifestyle is a very subjective thing....what is one person's dream is another person's nightmare - living in 'Legoland' for example. I think Australia has a lot to offer a lot of people but you're probably right - it does seem that young couples with no kids often struggle. I think a lot of people ending up living in the wrong places and find it bland, boring, lacking in something compared to where they lived before. Others of course will be happy as pigs in s@#$.

You won't know until you try it....but if you do end up somewhere that makes you miserable I'd always recommend trying somewhere else in Aus before fleeing back to Blighty.

B
Old May 18th 2008, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
What do you define as better. We expect better weather, but no long summer night to be had in Aus.
Wages lower, costs about the same.
Is swings and roundabouts, just depends on what you value most. IF we can get a similar lifestyle in Aus as we have in UK we'll be happy. Must be one of the few looking for something different rather than trying to escape the so called crap UK. Life in North Yorks is lovely, may be you should try it
We live in Cambridge and absolutely love it we have a great, quality lifestyle near to our friends and families, however looking to the (long distant) future when we think about children or settling down properly, we just don't know what's going to happen with England. We live in a particuarly idyllic part of the country, but the world is a huge place and if Oz can offer a more relaxed, safer (sunny) lifestyle compared to what we have now, then we just might try it!!! I agree totally, people looking for perfection are probably disappointed - we just wana try something new. We're also young enough that if it doesn't work out we can think, OK, we tried it but England's better. Hey - We may even have a newfound appreciation for our country!

So out of interest, what makes you want to go then...???
Old May 18th 2008, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bcworld
Hi Munchkin,

There's no reason why the Aussie lifestyle should 'surely' surpass anything that England can offer. Lifestyle is a very subjective thing....what is one person's dream is another person's nightmare - living in 'Legoland' for example. I think Australia has a lot to offer a lot of people but you're probably right - it does seem that young couples with no kids often struggle. I think a lot of people ending up living in the wrong places and find it bland, boring, lacking in something compared to where they lived before. Others of course will be happy as pigs in s@#$.

You won't know until you try it....but if you do end up somewhere that makes you miserable I'd always recommend trying somewhere else in Aus before fleeing back to Blighty.

B

I think that that a great outlook

I think to be honest we'll have to see how our holiday goes and travel around a bit next year and go from there. It's just everyone we know who has left to go, absolutely adores it. Even my best friend who I was sure would last 3 months. It's been 2 years and she's settled in Cairns and makes it sound fanatstic - even with the tropical storms that they had.

What made you want to go? Is it just the weather?
Old May 18th 2008, 11:45 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

What made you want to go? Is it just the weather?
I came over here with my Aussie OH.....we didn't have any visa options to allow them to stay in the UK. We came to Brisbane for family reasons. The weather is great yes, in fact the storms are the best bit, but other than that it doesn't really float my boat.

But Melbourne does...and I'm planning to head off there asap.
Old May 18th 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Cambridge and absolutely love it we have a great, quality lifestyle near to our friends and families, however looking to the (long distant) future when we think about children or settling down properly, we just don't know what's going to happen with England. We live in a particuarly idyllic part of the country, but the world is a huge place and if Oz can offer a more relaxed, safer (sunny) lifestyle compared to what we have now, then we just might try it!!! I agree totally, people looking for perfection are probably disappointed - we just wana try something new. We're also young enough that if it doesn't work out we can think, OK, we tried it but England's better. Hey - We may even have a newfound appreciation for our country!

So out of interest, what makes you want to go then...???
Most of my family are there or will be there in next 5 years. Been to Aus on hols (fact finding) really liked it andhope to match the life we have in UK. As said want to give it a go and see where it takes us