Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where to get an english breakfast in sydney

where to get an english breakfast in sydney

Old Feb 14th 2016, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to get an english breakfast in sydney

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You northerners are weird! I lived with a guy years ago who went to school in Blackpool for years, he always insisted on gravy with his fish n chips cos thats how the local shops did it. To me its just wrong, should be salt, vinegar and maybe tartare sauce, thats all!
Blackpool is an odd amalgamation of tastes when it comes to chippy's, taking in all the odd choices from all over the place.... but I've never seen fish with gravy anywhere else... definitely not in Manchester that's for sure.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 9:20 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwi-Irish
Hi all,
I've been here nearly three years, and I must admit, bit frustrated I can't find an English breakfast anywhere. Think: east-end, working class, working mans breakfast.... toast, eggs, chips, fried tomatoes, shrooms, crispy bacon, sausage, beans, hash browns and large mug of tea - even with the obligatory newspaper :-).

Does anyone know of such a place? Any east-end type cafes?

Sick of all this fancy brioche and salmon and spinach stuff!

ps: I know I'm in Australia not England, just kinda hoping

There used to be a cafe on the top floor of the Menzies Arcade at Wynyard that did a proper full English as you describe - the crucial bit being baked beans.

I haven't been there for over 2 years though, so it may well have changed now. But it served a breakfast exactly as you describe!

Beans and crispy bacon are something of a rarity in Sydney cafe venues unfortunately. There is a cafe in Ivy Lane, Darlington, called 28 Acres that does a full Irish breakfast - bacon, egg, sausage, beans, spuds, black pudding and soda bread - this place really knows how to cook bacon and make it nice and crispy. Worth a visit in pursuit of your perfect breakfast.

S
Old Feb 14th 2016, 11:52 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Spent 25 years living in the north west and I have never, ever come across fish with gravy before this threwd on BE. That is weird. Seriously weird.
Grew up in the North East and never had gravy on fish!

Some things are just too wrong.

Now, chips with gravy, yes. Chips with chip shop curry sauce (don't ever drop any on an item of clothing, that thing has serious colouring), yes. Chips with mayonnaise, yes.

Fish should just have mushy peas or if you have ideas above your station (or you're having it in a restaurant instead of out of the paper) perhaps a bit of tartare.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 3:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Grew up in the North East and never had gravy on fish!

Some things are just too wrong.

Now, chips with gravy, yes. Chips with chip shop curry sauce (don't ever drop any on an item of clothing, that thing has serious colouring), yes. Chips with mayonnaise, yes.

Fish should just have mushy peas or if you have ideas above your station (or you're having it in a restaurant instead of out of the paper) perhaps a bit of tartare.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 4:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo S
Agree with one other respondent, don't think a traditional English breakfast should be served with chips. Also, it was was nearly always served with canned plum tomatoes which was perfect and very tasty. Remember? Then it was with plum tomatoes or beans and now you don't have choice as it is always beans or nothing. Suffice to say, chips and beans should be considered for lunch/dinner not as part of an English breakfast.
Canned tomatoes for breakfast are just plain wrong

Had to do a double take when I first saw that in England

Bizarre
Old Feb 15th 2016, 4:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in Liverpool recently, went into a fast-food place and ordered curry and chips expecting something like chicken or beef curry with chips. I soon realised how wrong I was when I got chips covered in some dark yellow curry-ish sauce. It was okay but not what I was expecting!
Old Feb 15th 2016, 4:31 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
When I was in Liverpool recently, went into a fast-food place and ordered curry and chips expecting something like chicken or beef curry with chips. I soon realised how wrong I was when I got chips covered in some dark yellow curry-ish sauce. It was okay but not what I was expecting!

Eugh. I hate UK chip shop curry sauce.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 7:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Eugh. I hate UK chip shop curry sauce.
It was okay but nothing to rave about. Too sweet
Old Feb 15th 2016, 9:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It was okay but nothing to rave about. Too sweet
It's foul but then I only like my gravy Chip shop gravy is just bad gravox/bisto muck
Old Feb 15th 2016, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Yup that is a proper northern curry sauce. Yummy.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You northerners are weird! I lived with a guy years ago who went to school in Blackpool for years, he always insisted on gravy with his fish n chips cos thats how the local shops did it. To me its just wrong, should be salt, vinegar and maybe tartare sauce, thats all!
Zackery. ...and a slice of lemon.

Last edited by Alfresco; Feb 15th 2016 at 8:38 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I think you are more likely to get that in a small out of the way town/place/roadhouse that hasn't changed it's menu since the 60's to be honest.... and that would be minus the baked beans, chips and Hash browns.

It's interesting you bring this up, as I've just returned from one of my rare trips back to the UK after 36 years here. I smiled when I first had a greasy spoon cafe bought English Breakfast served to me... It was the baked beans that got me, having never encountered them on a menu to the point of forgetting all about them as a breakfast accompaniment.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone can find a place that serves your request. I doubt it very much...... and if they do I'd love to know who is serving and cooking them.

An Aussie friend that used to live in Ballarat until circa 20 years back and has now moved to Adelaide surprised me recently inasmuch as she said.... When did all the food in Melbourne turn "Wanky"..... I know what she means...however I do love the different menus here... especially the breakfast ones, I must have evolved with the times.

I was personally over the nostalgia and novelty of my first Cafe brought English breakfast in 36 years with the first one, that was enough, not that I didn't enjoy and eat it, but one was definitely enough....... Trouble for me was the opposite... I couldn't find in the UK what they do as normal here in Aus.... and it really pee'd me off.

Funny about different tastes eh

Good luck with your Quest....Although I'd say it's disappeared of the culinary scene due to lack of demand.
Have To be honest Ozzie, think it's all a bit Little Englander. You don't have to be blue collar to have eggs and bacon. Even in the UK greasy spoons don't exist like they did 30 years ago : a fact.

There's a place in Sale that does the lot with no pretension. I am sure there are places where you can ask for Bacon, sausages and eggs and simply tell them to hold the Kale, et cetera!
Old Feb 16th 2016, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

English breakfast with beetroot anyone?

http://www.theolddanube.com.au/breakfastmenu.pdf
Old Feb 16th 2016, 9:01 pm
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Alfresco
English breakfast with beetroot anyone?

http://www.theolddanube.com.au/breakfastmenu.pdf

Ugh, what is this obsession with adding beetroot to things?

S
Old Feb 16th 2016, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Ugh, what is this obsession with adding beetroot to things?

S
Good point. I just asked two Australians in my office if they ever had beetroot with breakfast and they can't recall ever having it. So can't be that common.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.