Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where is the dream brisbane coastal resort?

Where is the dream brisbane coastal resort?

Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

PegLeg is a jewel in the roughPegLeg is a jewel in the roughPegLeg is a jewel in the roughPegLeg is a jewel in the roughPegLeg is a jewel in the rough
Default Where is the dream brisbane coastal resort?

Hi guys n gals,

Can anyone help in our search for a dream coastal resort around brisbane. We are currently here in Brisbane on a visa validation trip are we are looking at areas that we can start renting in once we move over fully in Feb/Mar 2006.

Our dream location is going to be near the coast with a lovely beach with a selection of cafe's, restaurants etc. nearby for dining out etc. I guess the real deciding factor will be where we get jobs. I work in IT so am assuming I will be working in or near Brisbane CBD. My wife works currently in Universitys/colleges so that could really be anywhere around the area. we do not mind travelling to work and back if it means we have the dream location. I currently spend 45mins to 1 hour driving at present in the UK to work.

To date we have looked at the following locations around Brisbane:
Manly, Nudgee Beach, Brighton, Sandgate, Redcliffe, Sandgate and surrounding suburbs.

To date the favourite is around Redcliffe although it didn't 'blow us away' which I guess what we have been looking for.

The next few days we are going to head to Noosa although we know this is way out from the CBD and realistically commuting is out of the question.

Can anyone suggest any other areas to look at. Someone mentioned Raby Bay to us?

The other thing that has struck us about the suburbs is how quiet they are! We have wandered around the above for the last 3-4 days and everywhere is silent with no-one to be seen. Is this the norm? or is my deodorant not working to well in the heat

Any advice would greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where is the dream brisbane coastal resort?

Noosa is beautiful - I was there this weekend - but very expensive and about a two-hour drive to Brisbane, with some pretty bad traffic bad spots too.
I'd guess it would not be practical, but have a great time while you're there!
Pop into the Surf Club for a on the balcony overlooking the ocean - they had whales and dolphins passing really close to the shore at the weekend.
And take a boat out on the canals (or river or whatever it's called). Just bliss .
And have a walk in the National Park. You'll have a great time!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:59 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

You've pretty much discovered everything that we did. Alot of people end up in places like Redcliffe, Cleveland and Raby Bay as it's the closest you'll get to a beach lifestyle in Brisbane.

We ended up in one of those quiet suburbs near the Gold Coast and it's driving us nuts with boredom, so we're moving into Southport.

The only way you'll get a busy beachy lifestyle near Brisbane is to commute or try and get work on either the Gold or Sunshine Coast.

If you are thinking of doing a commute check out Caloundra and surrounding areas.

Good luck with it,

Paul.

Last edited by diddy; Oct 25th 2005 at 2:08 am.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PegLeg
Our dream location is going to be near the coast with a lovely beach with a selection of cafe's, restaurants etc. nearby for dining out etc. I guess the real deciding factor will be where we get jobs. I work in IT so am assuming I will be working in or near Brisbane CBD. My wife works currently in Universitys/colleges so that could really be anywhere around the area.
You're in the wrong city for that! Brisbane is not exactly famous for its lovely beaches.

Come to Sydney instead - you'll get all you want here, and more.