Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where do you start

where do you start

Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:36 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default where do you start

Hey,

we have just been granted our visas - and are just starting to realise that we have loads to do - to be honest other than knowing that we want to head to either Brisbaine, possibly cairns or possibly sydney we don't know much - such as whether to send one partner out to get work and house and then other to follow with kids (who are three year old twins) or to all go out ect.

Would love to hear how others with small children, no real relatives did it as we just do not know

Please please any advice would be great

Nic
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:49 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where do you start

sorry reaslised last post not very clear, basically we have no relatives in Oz and other than backing around before having kids we do not know of many family friendly areas. Also just do not know how to get us all out there and get job/ house lined up.

Don't know if that is any better worded, but any advice would be great.

Thanks

Nic [/QUOTE]
Old Jul 7th 2004, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by diddy
sorry reaslised last post not very clear, basically we have no relatives in Oz and other than backing around before having kids we do not know of many family friendly areas. Also just do not know how to get us all out there and get job/ house lined up.

Don't know if that is any better worded, but any advice would be great.

Thanks

Nic
[/QUOTE]

If you are going to Perth you could rent a house for a few weeks eith Poms in Perth, or if you are going to Brisbane, you could do the same with Brits in Brisbane (same company i think)

That would at least get you all there living in a nice house with pool etc. You can then look around for houses to rent on a more permenant basis, jobs, etc, etc and the kids will still have a pool etc to play in

Dave
Old Jul 7th 2004, 11:16 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Firstly, I would ignore many of the people on this board who seem to worry about everything and suddenly decide Australia is a rip-off because bread 'can' be slightly more expensive over here. They neglect to tell you petrol is 36p per litre, cars are significantly cheaper, fish is about half the price you would pay in the UK etc.

Therefore I would get your removal firm sorted. presumimg you have sold your house, and just get over here. Everything will fall into place when you arrive. There are loads of houses to rent, all in nice areas, many with pools etc. For approx £70 - 100 a week you will pick up a really nice house, take out a six month rental, and then when you have all had a rest and a recharge, start looking for work, schools etc.

Dont worry about it too much, and just do it. We have been here six weeks now and havent found any of it to be difficult. Everyone in Australia is willing to offer advice (if you ask).
Old Jul 7th 2004, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by CadburysFingers
Firstly, I would ignore many of the people on this board who seem to worry about everything and suddenly decide Australia is a rip-off because bread 'can' be slightly more expensive over here. They neglect to tell you petrol is 36p per litre, cars are significantly cheaper, fish is about half the price you would pay in the UK etc.

Therefore I would get your removal firm sorted. presumimg you have sold your house, and just get over here. Everything will fall into place when you arrive. There are loads of houses to rent, all in nice areas, many with pools etc. For approx £70 - 100 a week you will pick up a really nice house, take out a six month rental, and then when you have all had a rest and a recharge, start looking for work, schools etc.

Dont worry about it too much, and just do it. We have been here six weeks now and havent found any of it to be difficult. Everyone in Australia is willing to offer advice (if you ask).
Cadbury

Glad to hear things are going so well. I think that it is all about PMA - if you have it you will make it work.

Where in OZ are you living?

Cheers
Dave
Old Jul 8th 2004, 2:59 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

6 weeks in and your still not worried about the cost of bread. You must be rich.

I'd say ignore Cadbury's advice to ignore others. Listen to everyone and make up your own mind.

Cost of living will be a shock for many here. It might not become such a shock until you have speant all your british pounds and are living on the Aussie dollar

Last edited by HUP; Jul 8th 2004 at 4:08 am.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 3:19 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

There are loads of houses to rent, all in nice areas, many with pools etc. For approx £70 - 100 a week you will pick up a really nice house,

I must be living in the wrong place or my house must be extra special...
Old Jul 8th 2004, 3:40 am
ABCDiamond

Listen to everyone, including Cadbury, and make up your own mind.

We have no "close" family here or in UK, and we have one small child. We have only one income, but no mortgage.

Everything seems fine to us, and I only pay 90c for a loaf of bread

If things became too expensive, I suppose I could look for a job

Old Jul 8th 2004, 3:47 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by diddy

Would love to hear how others with small children, no real relatives did it as we just do not know

Nic

Although I already had a job to come out to I too arrived with no family or friends in Oz and with two small children in tow. Everything is so good now (generally) that I have to amuse myself with complaining about the price of lettuce...
Old Jul 8th 2004, 4:07 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Everything seems fine to us, and I only pay 90c for a loaf of bread
Ah but can you afford an iceberg lettuce
Old Jul 8th 2004, 4:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by HUP
Ah but can you afford an iceberg lettuce
Now thats a different story
We have to have our Prawn Cocktails without the lettuce

Talking about prawns, my wife got some yesterday at $12 kg

Old Jul 8th 2004, 12:27 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

Thanks everyone. Nicole, my partner, started this thread.

If we were without kids, we'd jusd come out and back pack/ wing it for a while, however having three year old twins makes it a bit harder.

Did most of you find a place like Koala or similar accomodation and pretty much take it from there?

Plus, how easy is it to find a job (in finance) before arriving?

Thanks,

Paul.