Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where Do You Shop?

Where Do You Shop?

Old May 28th 2007, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Where Do You Shop?

Well, where [I]do[I] you shop?

We've been on the Gold Coast for oh, about 3 days now & I'm guessing most people have figured what's cheapest and where. In the UK I was quite happy to go to the butchers, greengrocers, etc to get the cheapest products. I'm trying to figure out if that's true here as well, there doesn't seem to be any normal prices in supermarkets; what seems cheap in one isn't in another.
Has anyone got any gems or tips they'd like to share so us newly arrived folks don't spend through the nose for a month or two?!

Thanks in advance,

Sambo & Est
(By the way, We LOVE it here!!!)
Old May 28th 2007, 1:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where Do You Shop?

Whereabouts are you on the GC? Fruit and veg are reasonable in fruit barns/markets and better quality than you get in supermarkets. Butchers may be slightly more expensive than supermarkets but the meat is 100% better quality - depending on the butcher of course One tip though, if you have prescriptions to be filled, don't use your local pharmacy, find a discount one. There is one at Robina and the pills I need are about $3 cheaper there than my local normal pharmacy and they are the identical generic brand.
Old May 28th 2007, 4:46 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambo76
Well, where [I]do[I] you shop?

Has anyone got any gems or tips they'd like to share so us newly arrived folks don't spend through the nose for a month or two?!

Thanks in advance,

Sambo & Est
(By the way, We LOVE it here!!!)
You could do a price comparison between Coles and Woolies online. I think the Woolies site is www.greengrocer.com.au. For using Coles you will be required to enter a postcode and you'll need an interstate postcode, try 2000, as there is no delivery service in QLD.

You will find few if any Buy One Get One Free offers. Many "discounts" are for something like 20c off. Your letter box will soon be inundated with weekly brochures from Coles, Woolies and various other retailers so you can compare prices with those.

Typically you'll get better meat at a good butchers, better veg at a Fruit and Veg shop and better bread at somewhere like Brumbys.

Note that food prices in Australia are much more seasonal than in the UK and many goods can't be imported for fear of unfettered competition (sorry, I meant for fear of introducing foreign bugs). That's why last year we had bananas at up to $20/kilo; why you won't find fruits out of season and why prices move in line with drought conditions.
Old May 28th 2007, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Whereabouts are you on the GC? Fruit and veg are reasonable in fruit barns/markets and better quality than you get in supermarkets. Butchers may be slightly more expensive than supermarkets but the meat is 100% better quality - depending on the butcher of course One tip though, if you have prescriptions to be filled, don't use your local pharmacy, find a discount one. There is one at Robina and the pills I need are about $3 cheaper there than my local normal pharmacy and they are the identical generic brand.
Thanks for the tips so far!
We're based on Chevron Island, and so are close to Southport and surrounds.
Really appreciate your posts guys