Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where do you live while waiting for container?

Where do you live while waiting for container?

Old Mar 12th 2006, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where do you live while waiting for container?

Where does one stay while you wait for container with belongings to arrive in Australia?

How long does it usually take from the time they pack it on this side to the time you can unpack it on the other side?

Thanks
Old Mar 12th 2006, 5:41 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do you live while waiting for container?

Originally Posted by Luma
Where does one stay while you wait for container with belongings to arrive in Australia?

How long does it usually take from the time they pack it on this side to the time you can unpack it on the other side?

Thanks
usually most people either stay with friends/rellies or get a short-term furnished rental.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 5:52 am
ABCDiamond

Some people get the cheaper unfurnished rentals, and live rough in an empty house. Or they buy cheap furniture packages for it.

Sometimes the 2nd option can be good, IF you don't have enough furniture to fill the new house, and would need to buy new things anyway.

also: Garden table and chairs can be used temporarily in the dining room.

Garden seats, the comfy type, can be used in the living room.

Get a $90 TV, and use it later in a bedroom.

etc.

Others ship their stuff early, and live with relatives in UK before flying. That way the goods are there waiting for them.

Old Mar 12th 2006, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Hubby suggested we buy a caravan and live in that until our stuff arrives and then we can rent a place. But I don't fancy staying in a caravan during winter with 2 small kids.

I guess we'll have to do a cost comparison for the various alternatives.
- Caravan
- Renting empty house and buying just the basics to survive
- Renting a temporary furnished appartment
Old Mar 12th 2006, 6:38 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Where are you going Luma? We emigrated last August. Our container left on 12th August, bound for Fremantle, and arrived 27 days later. Took 8 days to clear customs.

I think this was quite quick, but we didn't benefit as we were in Sydney at the time.

Sue
Old Mar 12th 2006, 6:45 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks
rent somewhere, you'l;l manage. we bough plastic plates and knives and forks, think camping but in a house! we had 2 rocking chairs and one double b ed and a chair on a tv for ages. you wonder why you have to hav eall the other stuff in the end. It's liberating. I didn't miss any of it.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Where are you going Luma?
We're off to Perth - around May/June.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:49 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Hi
We left the UK on 5th Jan, the container left Tilbury Docks 13th Jan and went to Rotterdam, where it was off loaded. It was put on another ship on 30th Jan and then went to America, then south through the Panama Canal and is now in Papetee (South Pacific I think). It will then go on to New Zealand, Sydney, Melbourne & Adelaide before it gets to Freemantle sometime early April. Then it will have to clear customs etc, so over 3 months for us.

Luckily for us we are house sitting a lovely house almost on the beach, until September, which is fully furnished with everything from 100's of great CD's and a very good sound system, to bottles of spirits and wines!
We are very lucky to have the house while we wait for the container!

Neil.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 10:36 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Hubby suggested we buy a caravan and live in that until our stuff arrives and then we can rent a place. But I don't fancy staying in a caravan during winter with 2 small kids.

I guess we'll have to do a cost comparison for the various alternatives.
- Caravan
- Renting empty house and buying just the basics to survive
- Renting a temporary furnished appartment
Someone on another thread said that caravans are really expensive over there so it might not be a viable option anyway. We're going to rent a furnished apartment for a couple of weeks until we find an empty house to rent and buy the basics. Sounds like fun to me....

Lou
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Where are you going Luma? We emigrated last August. Our container left on 12th August, bound for Fremantle, and arrived 27 days later. Took 8 days to clear customs.

I think this was quite quick, but we didn't benefit as we were in Sydney at the time.

Sue
PMSL
Only read '27 days' & said to husband, "Oooh thats good". Then he said, "you dozy cow, read the rest of it"!!
Leigh
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:49 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond]Some people get the cheaper unfurnished rentals, and live rough in an empty house. QUOTE]

Yep this is what we'll be doing. We're planning on staying in a hotel for a week or two and then will move into unfurnished rental accommodation. We've sold a lot of our things and so will make a few trips to IKEA to stock up on bits and bobs and probably get to a camping shop to buy some camping chairs etc to get us by until the three piece arrives. Its all part of the adventure!

Rach xxx
Old Apr 11th 2006, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charles.edington
Someone on another thread said that caravans are really expensive over there so it might not be a viable option anyway. We're going to rent a furnished apartment for a couple of weeks until we find an empty house to rent and buy the basics. Sounds like fun to me....

Lou
Where do you find furnished apartments? We're still a while away yet, but I am just doing my research and testing the water while i have free time on my hands.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Where in Australia are you going to?

Originally Posted by suzimc
Where do you find furnished apartments? We're still a while away yet, but I am just doing my research and testing the water while i have free time on my hands.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Where in Australia are you going to?
Most likely Sydney, but Brissie is still a small possibility too
Old Apr 11th 2006, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi just wondering no one has mentioned children, has any one tried renting an unfurnished house with small children. It was hard enough last year when we went camping for the first time (never again) and we didn't have our youngest son then. I can't imagine trying to live with just a few things with children until our furniture arrives.

Stacey xx

Last edited by stacey and jordan; Apr 11th 2006 at 8:17 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.