Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where do you live while waiting for container?

Where do you live while waiting for container?

Old Apr 12th 2006, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do you live while waiting for container?

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
Hi just wondering no one has mentioned children, has any one tried renting an unfurnished house with small children. It was hard enough last year when we went camping for the first time (never again) and we didn't have our youngest son then. I can't imagine trying to live with just a few things with children until our furniture arrives.

Stacey xx

Hi Stacey - I was thinking the same, but Luma did mention '2 kids'!

Everybody is different and can tolerate disruption on different levels!
So, before you make your choice, think about how well you can cope with a difficult living situation for a while - ie tent, caravan, f/f or u/f apartment or house - the decision is yours to make I know how we felt living in a f/f apartment for more than 2 weeks - hated it, and we were there for '3 months'! Could not wait to find a house and have a little thing called SPACE

Gill
Old Apr 12th 2006, 2:22 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Luma
Where does one stay while you wait for container with belongings to arrive in Australia?

How long does it usually take from the time they pack it on this side to the time you can unpack it on the other side?

Thanks

You would be amazed at the collection of blow up beds and sleeping bags we have all amassed whilst waiting.
We had booked a furnished rental for the first 6 weeks but then moved into our unfurnished rental with just blow up beds and sleeping bags and bought an all important $90 TV. It was hard going at times but quite good fun for the kids and us occasionally
The nice thing about it is when you do finally get your container it is like Christmas, I had never been so pleased to see my bed
Old Apr 12th 2006, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

richard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud of

We stayed at the Big 4 caravan park here in Anglesea for 3 weeks until we found a rented house. I was not having any luck trying to secure a rented house from England....wrong time of the year (november) and for some reason the estate agents were just not interested in me or helpful.
The Big 4 caravan park on the other hand were fabulous. They gave us a huge discount because we were there for a long time and because we were not holiday makers but trying to set up a life!

We bought basic furniture immediately....sofas, tv, bookcases, bedroom furniture and beds especially because the shop said it would take 6-8 weeks to deliver. As soon as we moved into our rental house, we got the matresses straight away and slept on them for 2 months until the beds arrived.

You will be surprised how little you actually need....and we tended to eat out alot. That is expensive to do though. But I have to say we weighed up the feesability of whether it was worth bothering spending money on a large shipping crate for the cra**y furniture we had in england that we didn't particularly like but had been given over the years....or spend that money on buying new here. Buying new here won.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 3:39 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone is different and has different lavels of tollerence, whether you have kids will make a difefrence too. Whichever way you do it you will need to organise somewhere to stay before you arrive for at least your first 1-2 weeks, even if you intend to rough it in an unfurnished rental it will take you at least this long to find one you are happy with, complete all the applications, be accepted and move in, for some it can take longer than that. You have many choices on where to stay when you arrive, a furnished home will cost in most cases less than a hotel room. For around the $600 per week mark you will get a 3/4 bedroom 2 bathroom home with all mod cons, laundry, full kitchen with everything you need, tv's dvd's some even provide childrens toys, games consoles etc, outside you'll have a garden, and outdoor dining area an a bbq some will have a pool or a spa. This will give you space, comfort and privacy for coming to terms with the first few weeks of your new life.

I have done a comparison on the differing costs on short term accom for Perth here http://movetoperth.com/rental/budget.html

If you have a good shipping agent you should be able to arrange to have you container picked up from you at the last minute to reach the vessel and they should tell you wich vessel its on and the route so you know its going the quickest way, then so long as you have no probs at customs you could have your stuff in as little as 4 and a bit weeks doot to door.

Lynn
Old Apr 12th 2006, 3:46 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Where does one stay while you wait for container with belongings to arrive in Australia?

How long does it usually take from the time they pack it on this side to the time you can unpack it on the other side?

Thanks
We lived in a cardboard box in the middle of the motorway until our container arrived.
Aye it was a hard life.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 3:49 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
We lived in a cardboard box in the middle of the motorway until our container arrived.
Aye it was a hard life.
was it an ensuite cardboard box or did you have to dodge the traffic every time you needed the loo?

Lynn
Old Apr 12th 2006, 3:57 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by movetoperth
was it an ensuite cardboard box or did you have to dodge the traffic every time you needed the loo?

Lynn
Don't be silly, nothing but the best for us. We had a safeway bag in the corner.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 4:07 am
Breeding little aussies

Originally Posted by Bordy
Don't be silly, nothing but the best for us. We had a safeway bag in the corner.

Luxury

Moving into your container when it got here must have made you feel like royalty

Lynn
Old Apr 12th 2006, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed in a cabin on a caravan site for the first ten weeks whilst waiting for our container. It was fine, two bedrooms, kitchen, living and meals area and a small bathroom. It was very small and at times a bit cramped with the kids but much easier than renting with nothing and sleeping on airbeds etc.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 4:16 am
The Godfather

Luxury

Moving into your container when it got here must have made you feel like royalty

Lynn
Well feel free to call me King Billy.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that information - very useful.

We are possibly thinking of furnished accommodation now as it will be difficult with toddlers and no stuff.

Had 2 shipping quotes yesterday.

They said it will take roughly 8 weeks for our stuff to arrive as they have to allow for about 10-14 days at Perth just for the inspections.

From other threads I've read - I'm counting on it taking 3 months.

Everyone is different and has different lavels of tollerence, whether you have kids will make a difefrence too. Whichever way you do it you will need to organise somewhere to stay before you arrive for at least your first 1-2 weeks, even if you intend to rough it in an unfurnished rental it will take you at least this long to find one you are happy with, complete all the applications, be accepted and move in, for some it can take longer than that. You have many choices on where to stay when you arrive, a furnished home will cost in most cases less than a hotel room. For around the $600 per week mark you will get a 3/4 bedroom 2 bathroom home with all mod cons, laundry, full kitchen with everything you need, tv's dvd's some even provide childrens toys, games consoles etc, outside you'll have a garden, and outdoor dining area an a bbq some will have a pool or a spa. This will give you space, comfort and privacy for coming to terms with the first few weeks of your new life.

I have done a comparison on the differing costs on short term accom for Perth here http://movetoperth.com/rental/budget.html

If you have a good shipping agent you should be able to arrange to have you container picked up from you at the last minute to reach the vessel and they should tell you wich vessel its on and the route so you know its going the quickest way, then so long as you have no probs at customs you could have your stuff in as little as 4 and a bit weeks doot to door.

Lynn
Old Apr 12th 2006, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
Hi just wondering no one has mentioned children, has any one tried renting an unfurnished house with small children.
Stacey xx
No, I think I would prefer to rent a house without small children, however, a pool would be nice

Seriously though, I think small children would quite enjoy "camping" in the house until the container arrives.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 6:37 am
Breeding little aussies

Thanks for that information - very useful.

We are possibly thinking of furnished accommodation now as it will be difficult with toddlers and no stuff.

Had 2 shipping quotes yesterday.

They said it will take roughly 8 weeks for our stuff to arrive as they have to allow for about 10-14 days at Perth just for the inspections.

From other threads I've read - I'm counting on it taking 3 months.
Luma

It should not take anything like 3 months. Ask the shippers which date the vessel sails, make sure they have picked a sailing that goes east and if possible doesn't involve a change of vessel in Singapore. You do have to allow a couple of weeks for clearance on arrival but in reality it shoudn't take that long but depends on the time of year. Your container shouldnt be at sea for more than 28 days and if its done properly shouldnt leave you more than a couple of days before that. If you are ojnly taking a part container it could slow things by quite a bit.

Lynn
Old Apr 12th 2006, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Luma,

Good luck with the move, you will have to let me know how the stay went until your furniture arrived. We are hoping to go near the end of the year. We are going to try and rent furnished. I'm thinking about shipping our furniture early and may be stay with my sister for a couple of weeks to give it a head start. So then only have to stay fully furnished for awhile. I think if i hadn't got my youngest who will be only 14 months by the time we go i would have tried to rough it for awhile. But as my husband always telling me happy mummy happy family.

Stacey xx
Old Apr 12th 2006, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice much appreciated.

Luma

It should not take anything like 3 months. Ask the shippers which date the vessel sails, make sure they have picked a sailing that goes east and if possible doesn't involve a change of vessel in Singapore. You do have to allow a couple of weeks for clearance on arrival but in reality it shoudn't take that long but depends on the time of year. Your container shouldnt be at sea for more than 28 days and if its done properly shouldnt leave you more than a couple of days before that. If you are ojnly taking a part container it could slow things by quite a bit.

Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.