Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where do you find those houses that you pick up and put on your land?

Where do you find those houses that you pick up and put on your land?

Old Feb 25th 2005, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

zenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant future
Default Where do you find those houses that you pick up and put on your land?

Anyone know what the correct name for those houses are in one large lot that you pay $30-40+K for them, buy a piece of land and then pay the guy to pick the house up and put it on your land? Saw a programme about 6 months ago and thought this was a brilliant idea! No idea where you start searching though!!!!!!
Old Feb 25th 2005, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

WEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant future
Default Re: Where do you find those houses that you pick up and put on your land?

Originally Posted by zenamethyst
Anyone know what the correct name for those houses are in one large lot that you pay $30-40+K for them, buy a piece of land and then pay the guy to pick the house up and put it on your land? Saw a programme about 6 months ago and thought this was a brilliant idea! No idea where you start searching though!!!!!!

Hi Zen,

I'm sure I saw that programme too, I think the people bought their unit second hand and it was really cost effective.
Try searching the web 'prefabricated modular housing' I had a quick look and found www.modabode.com.au.

Hope this helps, Peter
Old Feb 25th 2005, 2:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do you find those houses that you pick up and put on your land?

Originally Posted by WEBBS
Hi Zen,

I'm sure I saw that programme too, I think the people bought their unit second hand and it was really cost effective.
Try searching the web 'prefabricated modular housing' I had a quick look and found www.modabode.com.au.

Hope this helps, Peter
Believe it or not, you actually see places by the side of major roads, with houses for sale. They are on poles, and are moved by truck to wherever your land is. Its quite common up in Queensland, and you often see houses being prepared for removal - the steps taken away, and the underneath of the property completely open, just sitting on stilts. Come back next day and the house has gone!
Don't know how common it is in other states, but it happens a lot up here.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 3:01 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBBS
Hi Zen,

Hope this helps, Peter
Billy Connolly saw a few of them on his Aussie DVD. Queenslanders I think they are called
Old Feb 25th 2005, 3:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Billy Connolly saw a few of them on his Aussie DVD. Queenslanders I think they are called
Thats them. very odd the first time you see them - we were driving down the motorway south of brissie, and there was this huge yard, with houses in it on stilts. The Bloke couldn't believe that it was a new concept as far as I was concerned. I've since watched them prepare a house to be moved off of a plot of land - everything around it stripped away, then the house goes on the back of a truck! Like a mobile home in the UK, but this is MUCH bigger.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 7:43 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Try

www.drakeremovals.com.au
www.dalbyremovalhomes.com.au
www.eddiewrighthouseremovers.com.au
Old Feb 25th 2005, 10:25 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Called "Transportable Homes". More often light weight - "clad" - but outer wall can be bricked on site - "brick veneer".

for example:
http://www.rivergumhomes.com.au/homes/gallery.php
Old Feb 26th 2005, 12:50 am
Jaffacake

You sometimes see these houses offered for free in the Saturday newspaper. As long as you pay removal costs. Some people just want their land cleared to rebuild. I once knew someone who picked up a free house and put it on their empty block of land. They now live in it.

Old Feb 26th 2005, 4:31 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Monopoly
Old Feb 26th 2005, 5:33 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Be very careful when buying a removal home as there are some very unscrupulous removers about. They are very popular up here as they're cheap houses and suit acreage blocks. I could fill pages with some of the horror stories the folks around abouts have had. Things from no steps yet habitation orders, not having the house fastened down onto the stumps, missing stumps, asbestos filled roof voids etc. etc.
Best bet is to ask around for other people's opinions as there are some excellent firms that do first rate jobs you just tend to hear and remember the bad firms not the good ones.
Whilst the houses are often cheap i.e less than 25K the removal costs are often quite high. A mate of ours found a house for free at Terwantin approx. 60klms away and the removal costs were 29K just to get it to his block restumping was extra.
You also need planning approval and in a lot of cases the homes need complete re-wires and laundry rooms adding according to local bylaws.
Good luck
Old Feb 26th 2005, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of them round our way.

Some get cut in half and have to be be rejoined. All need new roofs.

Lesley
Old Feb 26th 2005, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't yet seen any around Perth although my mate lives in a place which was originally a beach hut in Subiaco. It looks really cute in a rural area now, loads of character. Certainly makes a change from the brick bungalows of Perth.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 8:46 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Larissa
Haven't yet seen any around Perth although my mate lives in a place which was originally a beach hut in Subiaco. It looks really cute in a rural area now, loads of character. Certainly makes a change from the brick bungalows of Perth.
They must be around Perth somewhere as everytime I have driven between Perth and Geraldton I have had to pull off the road for a oversized vehicle and more often than not it is a house on the back of a truck.

Cheers
Kala
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Location: lived in halesworth in suffolk, now on the sunny coast qld
debreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to all

hi, my sons & i went & had a look round that eddie wrights yard its a real eye opener what you can do with them , he is a great chap & very helpful he is just a bit south of us towards brisbane.
debs,