Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WHERE DO WE START?

WHERE DO WE START?

Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of
Smile WHERE DO WE START?

Any advice would be great. Just need to talk to someone for ideas.
We have just been granted our visa before xmas, 176 skilled migrant sponsorship ( Victoria ),
OH is Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Avionics) 4114-15.
We want to go to Aus now !!, but we need to sell our house, been on market for 7 months , currently reduced it again to hopefully sell it...plus Oh is out of work, and my business went under last year, so we now don't have as much money as we had hoped as we have had to use our savings to live ....
Looking at rented houses over there, i got a fright of the prices, we dont want to buy for a few years at least.
Where can i look for house rental prices?
Im thinking now that our dream may not happen, due to lack of funds.
We will have money from sale of house, but not as much as we had hoped.
We had planned to come out , look for jobs, and see what happens...
But every job we look at needs to have Australian Citizenship, for OH, i don't know where would be reasonaly cheap to live, that would be close to jobs for him, good schools, and hopefully not to far from beaches.
Could anyone give any ideas, we really want to go, am i worrying too much??
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:58 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHERE DO WE START?

domain.com.au and nestoria.com.au are two decent enoguh websites for finding rental properties.

We're not going to have as much as we planned either thanks to the crappy FX rate but we decided it was now or never and have booked our flights for July. Whatever we have going is what we'll manage on!

Good luck!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of

Thanks , i will have a look. I think the same aswell, that what we have will need to make do, probably have enough to keep us maybe 6months or a year. Guess im just worried , we end up with no jobs, and need to come home, especially having kids.but im not wanting that to happen .... Where are you heading too?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:10 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed! We're lucky I suppose as we don't have kids and have family in Sydney so we know we'll have someone to help us out if the worst should happen. I'm hoping the husband will have a job before we go (he's an accountant) but it's unlikely I will as I work in the music industry so it'll be about making contacts over there.

We're heading to Sydney
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

Living in a rental property in Australia can be very frustrating. Inspections from the agent 4 times a year and the risk of having to move house every year. It is also quite difficult to find suitable homes and if you have to do this every 12 months it can make you regret you ever sold up in the UK.
From my own experiences in Perth, I cannot recommend renting long term.

Last edited by edmontron; Jan 4th 2011 at 11:14 am. Reason: typo
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks RedT . I have an uncle in Sydney, but apart from the odd few emails, he's not really forthcoming in offering, say a couple of nights accomodation, advise on areas etc.
Good Luck , x
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:22 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

www.realestate.com.au
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:23 am
not sure...

Originally Posted by rackcatt
Thanks RedT . I have an uncle in Sydney, but apart from the odd few emails, he's not really forthcoming in offering, say a couple of nights accomodation, advise on areas etc.
Good Luck , x
Oh dear! We didn't give my brother any choice, we just told him the date we're arriving haha! He's cool though, open house and he'll have anyone to stay. He did say over Christmas he's putting an upper limit of six months before he kicks us out LOL! I would hope to be in our own place LONG before then...

In more practical terms I can only suggest trawling t'internet and asking plenty of (specific) questions on here (only as general questions will only invite general answers). Someone on here will know what you need to know and you can build up a better picture of what to expect.

T
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rackcatt
Thanks , i will have a look. I think the same aswell, that what we have will need to make do, probably have enough to keep us maybe 6months or a year. Guess im just worried , we end up with no jobs, and need to come home, especially having kids.but im not wanting that to happen .... Where are you heading too?
Have a read of other threads on BE - many migrants are not selling up in the UK due to the difference in property prices and the exchange rate. If you have to sell your property at a reduced price and the funds will not buy you something decent here, renting might be the best option. There are threads on choosing a suburb in Melbourne.

You might have to compromise on the type of work you both do and where you want to live, for the hope of longer term gain. There are loads of stories on BE from all extremes of income gains or losses, improvements in quality of life or decreases. It takes a bit of time reading through, but it gives you an idea of what things are like in Australia.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys will look at threads, i never seem to find specific ones, then i end up clicking in and out of other threads, hours later im still on here ! Not achieving what i set out to do...lol x