Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where Do We Stand

Where Do We Stand

Old Sep 15th 2006, 9:32 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where Do We Stand

We've signed a contract with the employer in Australia for 3 years.
Theyre now trying to get out of doing our visa for us and have said they wish us luck with finding another job
Where do we stand - really upset now.

Jen
Old Sep 15th 2006, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where Do We Stand

Originally Posted by JenJen

Theyre now trying to get out of doing our visa for us and have said they wish us luck with finding another job

Jen
Clearly you have to go back to the drawing board. If you managed to get a company interested in sponsoring you then you should be able to find another. However, signing a 3 year contract before a visa has been arranged sounds a bit iffy to me. Bear in mind that companies here do have to go to great lengths to prove that they can't recruit locally and there is also money involved. You could also do some research and see if you could do it on your own although having a job to go to has many advantages.

Good luck

Sue
Old Sep 15th 2006, 10:48 am
Account Closed

i'm confused - it doesn't take much.

My husband has just phoned the HR managers mobile as we'd have gone mad waiting for a reply to our email til Monday.

But after a very long and complicated discussion it seems the guy had got his wires crossed, from that he said they will continue to back the visa but are happy for it to take longer to go through as the companies situation is static at present regarding new staff

Oh dear god I'm so stressed.

Jen
Old Sep 15th 2006, 6:40 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

i'm confused - it doesn't take much.

My husband has just phoned the HR managers mobile as we'd have gone mad waiting for a reply to our email til Monday.

But after a very long and complicated discussion it seems the guy had got his wires crossed, from that he said they will continue to back the visa but are happy for it to take longer to go through as the companies situation is static at present regarding new staff

Oh dear god I'm so stressed.

Jen

Maybe the ideal opportunity to look into a PR visa instead of a 457 sponsored visa.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Jen

Was the contract "subject to obtaining a visa" and if so was a time-frame specified?

Are they paying you out the notice period? And for other losses?
Old Sep 15th 2006, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

They are sponsoring us or permanent residency.

No time frame specified and they had initially said they would sort out a temporary visa (which after we looked into it meant we couldn't own our home or it would be more complicated to own our own home we asked for a permanent one instead)

As long as it all gets sorted out I don't mind, I just find it all so tiring and confusing - worst part is cause we have a baby and being mum it's down to me to entertain him I miss out on lots of things and hubby doesn't explain very well so i'm just permanently confused and stressed over everything

Jen