Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where do Australians go on hols ?

Where do Australians go on hols ?

Old Aug 6th 2007, 2:36 am
  #16  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,316
MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where do Australians go on hols ?

Originally Posted by TrickyTree View Post
Problem with that is its pretty pricey to get there. The wife and I used to love seeing where we could fly for a tenner that weekend and just going at the drop of a hat.
I agree it pricey as it's a lot further to go. Did it really cost a tenner or was that the advertised price? When I was in the UK a £20 flight to Nice was actually about £80. The few month back I asked about cheap flights from UK to Paris and one of the cheapest was Exeter to CDG for 1p. However when all the airport charges and taxes were added in, it was actually £36.

As far as I can see the cost has moved from the ticket to the airport charge which is then used to subsidise the airline to encourage then to fly into places nowhere near where you want to be.

MartinLuther is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2007, 2:38 am
  #17  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,316
MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where do Australians go on hols ?

Originally Posted by iPom View Post
Heck yes, I can't wait to get there. It's a paradise for photographers.

And sooo cheap.

Going to NZ sometime too.
And the pacific islands...
MartinLuther is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2007, 2:42 am
  #18  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 234
Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice
Default Re: Where do Australians go on hols ?

Originally Posted by renth View Post
Camping is always very popular.
I'm impressed with Australian camping. They do it with comfort - they take the fridge freezer, microwave etc and have little flyscreen tents for storing food and to sit when eating meals without flies bothering you. I even went to a campsite where you could have the option of having en-suite facilities for a bit more money - your very own toilet, washbasin and shower just outside your tent. Bliss!

Facilities also seem to be well maintained but if you want to do it rougher then there are sites for that too.

Last edited by Princess Leia; Aug 6th 2007 at 3:19 am.
Princess Leia is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2007, 3:09 am
  #19  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 71
Daka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where do Australians go on hols ?

I've discovered just how pricey overseas holidays are!
We had hoped to go to Phuket in January as family from the UK are going to be there.

Price for 2+2 flying from Brisbane and hotel for one week $7000+

I can have many holidays and weekends on the Sunshine and Gold coasts for that amount!
Daka is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2007, 3:37 am
  #20  
Go the BNE Roar
 
TrickyTree's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Northside
Posts: 1,590
TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do Australians go on hols ?

As you say it used to vary from where you flew from and to. I think off the top of my head the cheapest we got (taxes and all) was around the 10 quid mark but then again the dearest never got above 40 quid (or we just chose somewhere else). Certainly not bank breaking and an option at the drop of a hat if you wanted a long weekend/week abroad.

Just checked the Ryanair site and you can fly to Paris for a tenner (taxes, fees and charges included) in fact its almost anywhere for a tenner at the moment.

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/


Originally Posted by MartinLuther View Post
I agree it pricey as it's a lot further to go. Did it really cost a tenner or was that the advertised price? When I was in the UK a £20 flight to Nice was actually about £80. The few month back I asked about cheap flights from UK to Paris and one of the cheapest was Exeter to CDG for 1p. However when all the airport charges and taxes were added in, it was actually £36.

As far as I can see the cost has moved from the ticket to the airport charge which is then used to subsidise the airline to encourage then to fly into places nowhere near where you want to be.


Last edited by TrickyTree; Aug 6th 2007 at 3:42 am.
TrickyTree is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2007, 4:05 am
  #21  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,316
MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where do Australians go on hols ?

Originally Posted by TrickyTree View Post
As you say it used to vary from where you flew from and to. I think off the top of my head the cheapest we got (taxes and all) was around the 10 quid mark but then again the dearest never got above 40 quid (or we just chose somewhere else). Certainly not bank breaking and an option at the drop of a hat if you wanted a long weekend/week abroad.

Just checked the Ryanair site and you can fly to Paris for a tenner (taxes, fees and charges included) in fact its almost anywhere for a tenner at the moment.

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/
You're obviously luckier than I ever was. I also guess you've got the flexibility of no kids.

Okay just tried the RyanAir site and it wouldn't give me anything into Paris for the dates I wanted +- 2 days. I had tried it previously a few months back when I was looking for the cheap flight to CDG. Unfortunately, the only way of getting a cheap flight at the time I wanted was to fly from Scotland.

I thought I'd try one of the £10 special and the price was £19.72. That is an improvement on the £10 flight to Dijon that turned out to be nearer £50.


Last edited by MartinLuther; Aug 6th 2007 at 4:34 am.
MartinLuther is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2007, 4:50 am
  #22  
Go the BNE Roar
 
TrickyTree's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Northside
Posts: 1,590
TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do Australians go on hols ?

Yep no kids for us and we would take anywhere that interested us and was cheap. Sadly if you had a specific destination at a specifc time you couldnt be so picky.

Ten/twenty quid is a bargain and sadly we dont see anything that comes remotely close in Australia.

In fact I am usually excited if it drops below $200.

Originally Posted by MartinLuther View Post
You're obviously luckier than I ever was. I also guess you've got the flexibility of no kids.

Okay just tried the RyanAir site and it wouldn't give me anything into Paris for the dates I wanted +- 2 days. I had tried it previously a few months back when I was looking for the cheap flight to CDG. Unfortunately, the only way of getting a cheap flight at the time I wanted was to fly from Scotland.

I thought I'd try one of the £10 special and the price was £19.72. That is an improvement on the £10 flight to Dijon that turned out to be nearer £50.

TrickyTree is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2007, 5:13 am
  #23  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,316
MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where do Australians go on hols ?

Originally Posted by TrickyTree View Post
Yep no kids for us and we would take anywhere that interested us and was cheap. Sadly if you had a specific destination at a specifc time you couldnt be so picky.

Ten/twenty quid is a bargain and sadly we dont see anything that comes remotely close in Australia.

In fact I am usually excited if it drops below $200.
I agree and it'll probably never be as good for a number of reasons. I think the spread of population helps in Europe. I'd imagine the chamber of commerce for Beauvais (Ryan's Paris destination) has more money that any place 100k from Sydney or Melbourne.

However things are improving here. Tiger Airways are offering Mel->Sunshine Coast for $60 in Dec/Jan. A step in the right direction.

MartinLuther is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2007, 6:04 am
  #24  
Crazy Cat Lady
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 65,493
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do Australians go on hols ?

Originally Posted by JandR View Post
Hi - we're going thru the visa process at the mo - really looking forward to the Aussie life - but one of the main things I think I'll miss is the ability to jump on a cheap flight or drive to Europe - love the culture way of life etc, got bored of lying on beach hols but can live with Spain if I throw in a few trips .... but where we we go on hols from OZ ? - PS other parts of OZ dont count - I know it's a big place but you don't exactly get that different culture feel - it's not been there long enough! - same issue for NZ

- Obv I can think of SE Asia but somehow that doesnt seem the same.

Don't wanna make too big a deal out of this like I said looking forward to Oz - just wondered what ya'll think.
It may be the way you've worded it but it doesn't sound like you are very interested in experiencing any other sort of culture than what Europe has to offer, in which case I think you will be disappointed here and that could end up impacting badly on your lives. Smaller things have sent others packing. Apart from anything else, Australia has been here for a long long time. The only thing that hasn't is European settlers. White European isn't the be all and end all of culture - IMO anyway.
moneypenny20 is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2007, 6:11 am
  #25  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,375
Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where do Australians go on hols ?

Quinns Rocks caravan park ...

Originally Posted by renth View Post
Camping is always very popular.

We are in Perth and other options we or friends have done are: Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Blue Mountains, Exmouth, Singapore, Bali and the one that seems to be getting very popular, East Malaysia (Kota Kinabalu).
Three Legs is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2007, 8:03 am
  #26  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Worcester, England
Posts: 48
Amanda Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where do Australians go on hols ?

I have just found flights - Birmingham to Dublin only £20 each adult. I am now trying to persuade my mates from work to have a girls weekend in Dublin.

Thank you for the Ryanair post

Amanda
Amanda Jayne is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:09 am
  #27  
Forum Regular
 
micnic's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Robina, GC (formerly Hampshire)
Posts: 172
micnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Where do Australians go on hols ?

Originally Posted by Princess Leia View Post
I'm impressed with Australian camping. They do it with comfort - they take the fridge freezer, microwave etc and have little flyscreen tents for storing food and to sit when eating meals without flies bothering you. I even went to a campsite where you could have the option of having en-suite facilities for a bit more money - your very own toilet, washbasin and shower just outside your tent. Bliss!

Facilities also seem to be well maintained but if you want to do it rougher then there are sites for that too.
I like the idea of en suite facilities whilst camping! where was that! whilst i like the concept of camping, the early morning hike to the communal toilets and showers has always put me off. I'm not the world's most social person in the morning
micnic is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2007, 10:52 pm
  #28  
Go the BNE Roar
 
TrickyTree's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Northside
Posts: 1,590
TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do Australians go on hols ?

It would be criminal not to go!!!
Make the most of it while you can as 20 quid flights will be a thing of the past when your here.

Have a guinness for me when your there.

Originally Posted by Amanda Jayne View Post
I have just found flights - Birmingham to Dublin only £20 each adult. I am now trying to persuade my mates from work to have a girls weekend in Dublin.

Thank you for the Ryanair post

Amanda
TrickyTree is offline  
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:59 am
  #29  
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 5,133
Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where do Australians go on hols ?

OK, I know the OP said 'not in Oz' but ...

My next holiday in October will be spent at home resolutely doing bugger-all of worthwhile note and taking in the sheer luxury of not having to go anywhere whilst having the house to myself as the OH, MIL and sprog go off a-hostelling along the Great Ocean Road for 2 weeks.

I know where the least stress will be

Cheap too. Just the extra booze that I'll inevitably quaff
Vim Fuego is offline  
Old Aug 7th 2007, 3:05 am
  #30  
Australian Citizen
 
Weirdstone's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Elsternwick/Melbourne
Posts: 7,810
Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do Australians go on hols ?

We've had various trips, with visitors or together - Brisbane, Alice Springs, Sydney/Blue Mountains, Canberra (!), all over Victoria - with a trip scheduled for end of Sept/Oct to Tasmania, then another trip to Sydney in Jan, and then Alice again March (for work).
There are lots of other places we intend to go to....The Great Barrier Reef, and northern WA for starters.

We'd also like to see NZ South Island - but first...there is so much to do here!
Weirdstone is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.