British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Where do Australians go on hols ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/where-do-australians-go-hols-471769/)

JandR Aug 5th 2007 8:03 pm

Where do Australians go on hols ?

Hi - we're going thru the visa process at the mo - really looking forward to the Aussie life - but one of the main things I think I'll miss is the ability to jump on a cheap flight or drive to Europe - love the culture way of life etc, got bored of lying on beach hols but can live with Spain if I throw in a few trips .... but where we we go on hols from OZ ? - PS other parts of OZ dont count - I know it's a big place but you don't exactly get that different culture feel - it's not been there long enough! - same issue for NZ

- Obv I can think of SE Asia but somehow that doesnt seem the same.

Don't wanna make too big a deal out of this like I said looking forward to Oz - just wondered what ya'll think.:)

Ozzidoc Aug 5th 2007 8:14 pm

Re: Where do Australians go on hols ?

Originally Posted by JandR (Post 5151833)
Hi - we're going thru the visa process at the mo - really looking forward to the Aussie life - but one of the main things I think I'll miss is the ability to jump on a cheap flight or drive to Europe - love the culture way of life etc, got bored of lying on beach hols but can live with Spain if I throw in a few trips .... but where we we go on hols from OZ ? - PS other parts of OZ dont count - I know it's a big place but you don't exactly get that different culture feel - it's not been there long enough! - same issue for NZ

Don't wanna make too big a deal out of this like I said looking forward to Oz - just wondered what ya'll think.:)

I lived in Oz until I was 27. I went to Europe twice on hols, Surfers Paradise several time, Brisbane twice, day trips to Bulla to ski. Weekends also at Thredbo.

The smoking/drinking/partying people I used to know went to Bali or Fiji.

Many friends went skiing in NZ. Others went to Vietnam, Japan, Cambodia, Singapore, HK, Thailand, New Caledonia, USA.

InBetween Aug 5th 2007 8:25 pm

South Pacific Isles - take a trip to Noumea, Cook Islands or Tonga - the people are really friendly and completely different culture - Im sure if you search lonely planet for South Pacific Islands you see there are loads of places to visit.

jad n rich Aug 5th 2007 8:44 pm

Lots of driving and camping and if your into it fishing type holidays, all in australia. Australians do travel overseas but its more the 'big trip' the thing you do before you settle down or when you retire, quite simply airfares are very expensive, especially in comparisom to wages.

Some competition in airfares to asia has entered the market, but weve just checked out hong kong and singapore, both over the $1000 pp, same for japan, advertised at $399, yes right actual fare return plus taxes was $1200.
Trip to UK your looking at around $2000 plus low season including the taxes and USA Canada, is V expensive, school hols to LA weve not been quoted over $2000 a person and its only a 13 hour flight:

If you pick eastern states you can visit other bits for around the $200 return ie, bris to sydney you would get for $80 each way occasionally, melb more the $100 each way. New zealand from eastern states about $500 return.

iPom Aug 5th 2007 11:12 pm

Lots of Aussies come to the Blue Mountains for a holiday, plus weekends.

4x4, trailer, tent or caravan. You couldn't run out of holidays without even leaving Aus.

Wendy Aug 5th 2007 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by iPom (Post 5152460)
Lots of Aussies come to the Blue Mountains for a holiday, plus weekends.

4x4, trailer, tent or caravan. You couldn't run out of holidays without even leaving Aus.

But is there an 'British' pub there and do they speak kinda funny, but in English?

iPom Aug 5th 2007 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 5152482)
But is there an 'British' pub there and do they speak kinda funny, but in English?

Ah, we have no British pubs up here. This way, we don't get the sort of people who like to go to British pubs.
:D

There's a council directive banning theme pubs. (Probably)

Wendy Aug 5th 2007 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by iPom (Post 5152502)
Ah, we have no British pubs up here. This way, we don't get the sort of people who like to go to British pubs.
:D

There's a council directive banning theme pubs. (Probably)

I'm not coming there then :sneaky:

iPom Aug 5th 2007 11:38 pm

Ok. :D

TrickyTree Aug 6th 2007 12:00 am

This is one of the points that kills me in Oz. I'm used to jumping on a plane flying for a couple of hours and hitting any of the following Barca, Paris, Amsterdam, Rome and Dublin the list is endless (and varied). I jump on a plane for 2 hours from Brissie and I hit Townsville (no more needs to be said)!

Most aussies seem to holiday in Oz camping seems to be a favourite (but I detest camping so seem to struggle).

Just asked this question to the office and half of them dont even have a passport. :unsure:

renth Aug 6th 2007 12:07 am

Camping is always very popular.

We are in Perth and other options we or friends have done are: Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Blue Mountains, Exmouth, Singapore, Bali and the one that seems to be getting very popular, East Malaysia (Kota Kinabalu).

MartinLuther Aug 6th 2007 12:46 am

Is that because it's too different? Personally I think that it would be great to visit these places after having one's fill of Europe.

:)

TrickyTree Aug 6th 2007 1:11 am

Problem with that is its pretty pricey to get there. The wife and I used to love seeing where we could fly for a tenner that weekend and just going at the drop of a hat.

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 5152714)
Is that because it's too different? Personally I think that it would be great to visit these places after having one's fill of Europe.

Pippilongstocking Aug 6th 2007 1:41 am

If other parts of oz don't count you are going to be missing your holidays unless you are loaded! Look at the map - we are a long way from everywhere!
Asia is great if you want different culture but quite a way away. Bali and Fiji are popular (when the govt hasn't got a travel warning out) South pacific islands as mentioned above are a good option.
But there is nothing compared to the cheap europe trips if you don't want to stay within oz - IMO that's one of the compromises you make when you move here.

iPom Aug 6th 2007 2:13 am

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 5152714)

Heck yes, I can't wait to get there. It's a paradise for photographers.

And sooo cheap.

Going to NZ sometime too.