Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where do all the Poms live in Melbourne?

Where do all the Poms live in Melbourne?

Old Dec 17th 2006, 2:20 am
Just Joined

Klink is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where do all the Poms live in Melbourne?

We're interested in moving to Melbourne from Perth and, as typical Poms, we like to be around a few of our own (& the Aussies are okay too !). So, I'm just wondering which suburbs we Poms (+ Scots, Welsh etc.) generally choose to live in.

We did a reccie a few days ago (including the 40 degree + scorcher) and liked the look of Sanctuary Lakes (Point Cook) and Caroline Springs. These areas had the kind of modern, contemporary, & ideally brand spanking new two-storey houses we're looking for and they were very reasonably priced. Sanctuary Lakes was a nice quick commute to the city also, although it's not exactly the prettiest of rides into a city (industrial).

So, I'm mainly interested in finding out the opinions of Poms with similar tastes in houses to ourselves, and not any further out of the CBD than Caroline Springs (about 30 minutes drive). We're also not too bothered about being right next to a beach, as we live close to one in Perth and hardly ever go there because it's always too windy + the suburb is full of barefoot beach-bums & surfies (same in Melbourne?)!

Last edited by Klink; Dec 17th 2006 at 3:12 am.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do all the Poms live in Melbourne?

If you want to live with Poms go live on the Peninsula. What is with all you people?
Old Dec 17th 2006, 2:43 am
Just Joined

Sorry, where's the Peninsula?
Old Dec 17th 2006, 2:45 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teliko21
If you want to live with Poms go live on the Peninsula. What is with all you people?
Old Dec 17th 2006, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Klink
Sorry, where's the Peninsula?
Mornington Peninsula. Basically, the area around the bay to the east of the city. Mt Eliza area seems to be particularly popular

http://www.travelvictoria.com.au/mounteliza/
Old Dec 17th 2006, 2:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Judging by the posts on here from all the Melbourne people, there are Poms ina majority of suburbs. Perth sounds as if it has a few areas in which a lot of Poms tend to congregate, whereas melbourne seems to have a wider scattering....just personal observations.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 3:08 am
Just Joined

Mornington seems to be way too far away from the CBD + right on the coast, so doesn't really fulfill our criteria. We're only looking at two-storey houses, I forgot to mention also (edited original post now).

Last edited by Klink; Dec 17th 2006 at 3:13 am.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 3:13 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Judging by the posts on here from all the Melbourne people, there are Poms ina majority of suburbs. Perth sounds as if it has a few areas in which a lot of Poms tend to congregate, whereas melbourne seems to have a wider scattering....just personal observations.
Sounds about right - they do seem to spread themselves around even on the peninsula. Frankston seems to have a concentration of £10 poms but generally these are best avoided as they tend to be crabby.

The peninsula's obviously too far out to meet the OP's 30min criteria.

PS: As he/she said above (crossed posts).
Old Dec 17th 2006, 3:36 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

We're interested in moving to Melbourne from Perth and, as typical Poms, we like to be around a few of our own (
Not typical for us thanks. Would rather not live in an ethnic minority pom ghetto
Old Dec 17th 2006, 3:51 am
Just Joined

That's okay, I was really asking people in Melbourne anyway (not Brisbane) so your opinion doesn't matter to me .
Old Dec 17th 2006, 4:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

That's okay, I was really asking people in Melbourne anyway (not Brisbane) so your opinion doesn't matter to me .
Winner of the "How to Make Friends and Influence People" Award 2006......
Old Dec 17th 2006, 5:24 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough. But why do you want to actively live near British people ? I'm genuinely curious.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

The SE:
A lot of Poms moving to Berwick and the new estates around.

I do not recomend them one bit - it will be redneck land in 10 years.

I can only recommend old Berwick, and a few semi-rural locations around - but only a few and you need to get lucky with availability.

I'd actually recommend the East over the SE now if you want to 'live out' and can't afford the peninsular or the inner burbs.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 10:59 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Just my opinion, but I would rather stick pins in my eyes than live in a suburb in Australia mostly populated by British people. I couldn't think of anything worse as far as choosing a place to live is concerned...!

Where we live in Kensington, (South Perth) is perfect for us. In 4 years of living here we've never once met anyone in our neighbourhood from the UK.
Everyone, (apart from us) are 4th or 5th etc, generation Aussies, and we get on like a house on fire with pretty much all of them.

Socially, we have friends who are of all different nationalities.... British, Australian, Canadian, Dutch, German, Croatian, South East Asian, Indian, Greek, etc, & having them as friends is fantastic cos as well as being good friends, they educate us about their culture etc, which can only be a good thing....

Klink.....
As I said, this is only my opinion but you've chosen to live in Australia, so I'd recommend that you live amongst Australians rather than trying to find a place populated by Brits. The worst thing you can do is try to hang on to the British way of doing things.
This is Australia, not Britain... In the same way that Mexico isn't Iceland.
Fit into the Australian culture and you'll be fine. And the best way of doing that is living amongst Australians...
Old Dec 17th 2006, 11:08 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scossie
Just my opinion, but I would rather stick pins in my eyes than live in a suburb in Australia mostly populated by British people. I couldn't think of anything worse as far as choosing a place to live is concerned...!
Completely agree with this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.