Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where did your Bond money come from ?

Where did your Bond money come from ?

Old Jan 10th 2005, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

mutang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where did your Bond money come from ?

Hi all , i'm a little away from Bond requests at this moment however i was wondering where people got the Bond money from ? I hoping to have sold our house to raise the funds however what other solutions have others used ? Does anyone know the finance involved in borrowing the money for 1 year then paying it back with the interest that has built up in the Oz bank account ?
Thanks for any suggestions ,

Jim
Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:48 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where did your Bond money come from ?

There dont seem to be any clever options...

You do get 40 days to lodge it with DIMIA after they ask for it. So you'll get time to panic at least.

You can borrow it in UK on personal loans, etc, 40k is a fair whack to get hold of , so might want to start htinking about it now - Im not sure how the credit checks work, wether its better to whack them with 3 x 15K loans at once or trickle to raise new loans over a few months...

Cahoot do a good flexible loan but its high interest 9%+ , up to 15/20k you draw down and replace as yo uneed it, bit like a massive overdraft.

Interest rate wise Im not sure what the Aussies pay but from memory it was 5 or 6%. UK loans will be 6-10% if youre lucky. But the big worry is the exchange rate - as you can see on HIFX oranywhere else it fluctuates +/- 3K on a 40k sum over any given 6 week or 6 month period let alone 12 mths.

The extending the mortgage will be the cheapest money you'll get , but beware of clauses that stop you closign your mortgage account within X days of extending it ( might stop you completing a house sale if lucky enough to get on ein that X days) . And watch out for tieing yourself into a mortgage deal that has expensive repayment on cancellation.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 5:20 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Originally Posted by mutang
Hi all , i'm a little away from Bond requests at this moment however i was wondering where people got the Bond money from ? I hoping to have sold our house to raise the funds however what other solutions have others used ? Does anyone know the finance involved in borrowing the money for 1 year then paying it back with the interest that has built up in the Oz bank account ?
Thanks for any suggestions ,

Jim
Have you tried asking anyone if they have any spare Irish bank notes?
ViVi
Old Jan 11th 2005, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

many of us sold our houses many months prior to the bond being requested and moved into grotty rental accommodation.
The other alternative is to release the equity in your house now, (if you have a house that is!!) I know the Halifax do this.

All the best
Old Jan 11th 2005, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

Hoping to get the cash from the sale of our house if it all goes through in time if not gonna get the extra cash on our mortgage

All the best

Sue