Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where did the Aussie accent come from?

Where did the Aussie accent come from?

Old May 15th 2010, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where did the Aussie accent come from?

Originally Posted by Deancm
The fact that they are workers kind of gives away that they are not bogans. Most bogans were more likely to be doing burgs or other such criminal activity. Either that or on the dole, bonging on and dealing dope.

An idiot? A dickhead? One of the boyz? Australian?

What does a bogan act like? The last real bogans I ran in to were about 40 years old and hadn't changed since they were 18. These were guys I actually went to school with. Completely stuck in a time warp and hadn't grown up or achieved anything.

It was always easy to be able to spot a bogan. Tight stretch levis/faberge jeans, moccasins or ugg boots footwear, flannelette shirt, bonds vest, mullet with rat tails. Down the pub, pissed and trying to get into a bit of fisticuffs. Common as muck really. Usually found in the outer suburbs rather than urban areas.

Aussie version would be Kath & Kim. Suburban women. Bland, insular and common.

Then they also definitely wouldn't be bogans.

I agree. It has become a very generic, throw away term.

Yes, I agree. They do have a tendency to draw attention to themsleves.

Or could the new bogan be the metrosexual?
You're right about the original use of the word bogan, but I think it has become wider in meaning. Metrosexual - maybe. I'm not always a fan of that either.

Originally Posted by paularn
??

I don't think I sound anything like an American. If anything I often get mistaken for being Irish!

And if the Aussies have such a horrible accent - why is it I have heard heaps of times when I say I'm married to an Australian...."Oh I love the Australian accent"....or when my husband spoke (when we lived in Canada)...they'd turn to me and say "I could listen to him all day".

Obviously doesn't turn *everybody* off

Wonder if you'd find more people like it than don't and is it just the UK people who don't like it (and probably the Kiwis as well). I'm sure there would be Aussies who would complain about your accents too
There's a bit of the old story of Americans liking Australian and English accents which are seen as being different, or having character. The American accent stands out with the rhotic emphasis and even Australians who watch a lot of TV can't easily manage that. I quite like the southern American accent, even though I know 'folks' from the south are ridiculued for it.

I have American relatives, and find their accents quite mild, and almost prissy in the blokes. No wonder that the girls quite like the broader Australian accent. Infact, I arrived from the airport and was told I sounded Australian by friends of my family. It doesn't help of course, that they knew I lived in Australia. My wife's brother's partner even mimiced some of the stresses I put on some syllables, and vowels but she also said she liked them. An Anglo-Australian accent perhaps? The fact of the matter is that places we live in influence us in some small part.
Old May 15th 2010, 5:07 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
An Anglo-Australian accent perhaps? The fact of the matter is that places we live in influence us in some small part.
Well that's what I've got. Half my life in the UK and half in Australia. Don't know whether i'm coming or going. To the English I sound Aussie and to the Aussies I sound English! I can't win!!!

Somebody said (I don't know who) that a person's accent tells the story of their life.
Old May 16th 2010, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

mchand11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm Aussie and even I abhor the Aussie accents on tv, and it seems even stronger when you hear it overseas....'cringy' is the only way to describe it! But it's not the WHOLE population that speak like that. I think QLD is definitely the worst for the nasally accent, but bless them, some of their accents are so strong it is more amusing than annoying! I have also noticed that in Sydney there's a bit of an american accent sneaking in. I'm from there and it's not suprising, most Sydney-siders have a bit of 'wannabee LA' in them I think.
Old May 16th 2010, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mchand11
Sydney-siders have a bit of 'wannabee LA' in them I think.
Australia as a whole is wannabe American.
Old May 17th 2010, 7:27 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

I recall they had to run an advertising campaign to tell people that 000 was the emergency number - something like 60% of people thought it was 911

* statistic may be made up for comedy value

What is with the aussie pronunciation of Known or Own they pronounce it Knowun or Owun buffoons. And Maroon is Marone.

I believe Lenny Henry said - an accent is a proud reflection of the rich heritage of your ancestors and the first settlers of the region from whence you hail. Unfortunately for people of west midlands the first person to settle in Dudley was a ****n moron.
Old May 17th 2010, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

I guess you'd prefer wannabe pom?
Old May 17th 2010, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

I'm sure Australians would LOVE to hear that one!
Old May 17th 2010, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mchand11
I'm Aussie and even I abhor the Aussie accents on tv, and it seems even stronger when you hear it overseas....'cringy' is the only way to describe it! But it's not the WHOLE population that speak like that. I think QLD is definitely the worst for the nasally accent, but bless them, some of their accents are so strong it is more amusing than annoying! I have also noticed that in Sydney there's a bit of an american accent sneaking in. I'm from there and it's not suprising, most Sydney-siders have a bit of 'wannabee LA' in them I think.
I'm from Brisbane and I don't think country NSW accents are that different from QLD country ones.....way more to do with city vs country even given QLD country people have stronger accents

Last edited by fish.01; May 17th 2010 at 10:21 am.
Old May 17th 2010, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paularn
I'm sure Australians would LOVE to hear that one!
Doesn't bother us...its amateur hour on the insult scale

A lot of British see the american in us and a lot of americans see the British things. Both blind to their own influence.
Old May 17th 2010, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spalen
I recall they had to run an advertising campaign to tell people that 000 was the emergency number - something like 60% of people thought it was 911

* statistic may be made up for comedy value

What is with the aussie pronunciation of Known or Own they pronounce it Knowun or Owun buffoons. And Maroon is Marone.

I believe Lenny Henry said - an accent is a proud reflection of the rich heritage of your ancestors and the first settlers of the region from whence you hail. Unfortunately for people of west midlands the first person to settle in Dudley was a ****n moron.
British are hardly in a position to complain about other countries pronunciation foibles
Old May 17th 2010, 10:32 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fish.01
British are hardly in a position to complain about other countries pronunciation foibles
It will never stop a Brit from doing so though......
Old May 17th 2010, 11:06 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
It will never stop a Brit from doing so though......
Its called English because we invented it - however English people speak it, like it or not, its bona fide English.

Old May 17th 2010, 11:13 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Its called English because we invented it - however English people speak it, like it or not, its bona fide English.

I think the French invented a big chunk of it after conquering us ......
Old May 17th 2010, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What you chattin...am I bovvered? Wack, Innit!!!
Old May 17th 2010, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
I think the French invented a big chunk of it after conquering us ......
So true!

We had a visiting brigade come over for a training programme last week and in their number was a Northern Brit of unknown origin. I did not get a chance to talk to him. During the night, he said something so unintelligible that everyone looked completely blank, and even my own English background was of no use. There was a stunned silence, but everyone was very polite about it and nothing was said - I don't think anyone wanted to embarass him.

But one wag, (who can be counted on to say such things) from my brigade nudged me and said:
"One of your mob Badge". I was this close to distancing myself(!) and considering my response when he added -
"Watford Gap though, eh?" which I have to admit, did make me laugh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.