Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where did the Aussie accent come from?

Where did the Aussie accent come from?

Old May 12th 2010, 11:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where did the Aussie accent come from?

Originally Posted by emma75
How long was it before he picked it up? My boys are 8 and 4, My 8 year old seems to have turned into a real Hampshire Hog overnight! We dont talk like that! Will the kids pick the Aussie accent up? I actually love it, i think ours is boring! My mums from Liverpool, but has lost it abit from living in the South.
Even though he was only 2 when we came here, he took a long time to get an Aussie accent - which surprised me a bit. He's 7 now and I would say that it is only in the last 18 months that the Aussie accent has come through.

Last edited by Amazulu; May 13th 2010 at 1:25 am.
Old May 12th 2010, 11:48 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
On the radio yesterday Nick Giannopoulos, the writer of the Wog Boy series, said he was really proud the way that he played a part in regaining ownership of the word WOG for the Ethnic Mediterraneans in this country. It can never be used against them again the way it was in the 50's and 60's

Heres an insight the those still in the UK as to what it's all about.... and the accent that goes along with it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E2GYIcprD70

Funny! Do they still call our footy WOGBALL (like in the 50s & 60s?) over there?

Just had a look at their World Cup squad, mediocre isn't the word for it.....
Old May 13th 2010, 1:23 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by expatasia
Funny! Do they still call our footy WOGBALL (like in the 50s & 60s?) over there?

They've actually started to call it Football. The AFL isn't too happy about it.

Haven't heard the term wogball for a long time. Not since they got rid of the ethnicity out of soccer in Aus.
Old May 13th 2010, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
They've actually started to call it Football. The AFL isn't too happy about it.

Haven't heard the term wogball for a long time. Not since they got rid of the ethnicity out of soccer in Aus.
Interested in the ways the AFL complained? Rugby Union and Rugby League are called football as well so seems a bit pointless to complain.
Old May 13th 2010, 1:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fish.01
Interested in the ways the AFL complained? Rugby Union and Rugby League are called football as well so seems a bit pointless to complain.
The AFL historically never had any competition from Rugby in Victoria and pretty much had a monopoly on the name 'football' for years.

With the World Cup bid, the CEO of the AFL (whatever his name is) was initially being a bit difficult as to the use of stadiums. Only recently he has decided to come to the party.
Old May 13th 2010, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
The AFL historically never had any competition from Rugby in Victoria and pretty much had a monopoly on the name 'football' for years.

With the World Cup bid, the CEO of the AFL (whatever his name is) was initially being a bit difficult as to the use of stadiums. Only recently he has decided to come to the party.
Were they serious complaints or silly grumbles do you know? I don't think they have much of a leg to stand on...
Old May 13th 2010, 2:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fish.01
Were they serious complaints or silly grumbles do you know? I don't think they have much of a leg to stand on...
He was definitely serious but I agree, I don't think he really had much of a choice in the matter at the end of the day. National interest and all that...
Old May 13th 2010, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatasia

Fighting AFL directly for the title of Football now. Foxtel has helped as they definitely call Football "Football" and Aussie Rules "AFL"

As for Mediocre, better on paper than Japan, which has only been achieved for the last 6 years or so, and will deinitely stay that way. The only way is forwards now.

Hopefully Tommy Oar does end up in SA, as he is the new heir apparent of Aussie Football, bit young at 18 though.
Old May 13th 2010, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by woody1974
bit superior of yourself what crap accent have you got,

That may be so but you should bear in mind that 97% of S.Africans don't speak english as a first language. Perhaps you can explain to me why so many poms just sound like they don't speak english as a first language
Old May 13th 2010, 4:52 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

As for Mediocre, better on paper than Japan, which has only been achieved for the last 6 years or so, and will deinitely stay that way. The only way is forwards now.
Look mayte, when Timmie Cahill stands out as a star player in the squad you've got probs.....and that's coming from an Evertonian.

Japan are just as mediocre, aye. At least they have got some skill in midfield though. Don't think there has ever been an Aussie with skill.
Old May 13th 2010, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

PJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Re: Where did the Aussie accent come from?

Accents develop due to geographic isolation, immigration and education. The UK is tiny with a load of different accents, but that is because the accents developed over hundreds of years, accents were established when mobility between centres was rare and there was no electronic voice communication by which accents would be cross pollenated . Australia is much younger, so the accents across the country are much more similar yet there are some differences based on education and source of immigration. The original accents of white Australians are English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish in origin, with English and Irish being predominant, and most of the English accents being from the "lower classes" in society - crims and soldiers. While Qld and WA have distinct drawls, South Australians have a distinct accent as well - "charnce, darnce, etc". It's more English/Scottish as it never had convicts and attracted free settlers who were mostly second sons with flocks of sheep etc. trying to make their way while the older brother got the inheritance. Given the increasing reach of the media and exposure to different accents, it may be that accents will become less pronounced and we'll all move to the BBC accent. Wouldn't that be lovely........
Old May 13th 2010, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PJLondonSydney
Accents develop due to geographic isolation, immigration and education. The UK is tiny with a load of different accents, but that is because the accents developed over hundreds of years, accents were established when mobility between centres was rare and there was no electronic voice communication by which accents would be cross pollenated . Australia is much younger, so the accents across the country are much more similar yet there are some differences based on education and source of immigration. The original accents of white Australians are English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish in origin, with English and Irish being predominant, and most of the English accents being from the "lower classes" in society - crims and soldiers. While Qld and WA have distinct drawls, South Australians have a distinct accent as well - "charnce, darnce, etc". It's more English/Scottish as it never had convicts and attracted free settlers who were mostly second sons with flocks of sheep etc. trying to make their way while the older brother got the inheritance. Given the increasing reach of the media and exposure to different accents, it may be that accents will become less pronounced and we'll all move to the BBC accent. Wouldn't that be lovely........
I have to say that Im in South Australia and "dance", "trance" and "circumstance" are the norm here. The Kiwi part of the family insist on "darnce", "trarnce" etc.

I love how Victorians use "graff" with absolute zero reference to "grarph" as most may know it. Look at Steve Irwin, possibly bogan but almost totally a Queenslander. So called 'bogans' do seem to insist on the ockerish version of Australian but I hope that never changes. For anyone to dismiss parts of the Australian accent as boganish are well on their way to introducing some degree of a class system in Australia and that would be 'lower than a ducks arse' in my view.
Old May 13th 2010, 9:19 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Dont get me started on Aussie hip hop music.
The Hilltop Hoods are first class. Great hip hop!
Old May 13th 2010, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
The Hilltop Hoods are first class. Great hip hop!
I worded it wrong. Its not the genre but the OTT accent that shits me.
Old May 13th 2010, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that Im in South Australia and "dance", "trance" and "circumstance" are the norm here. The Kiwi part of the family insist on "darnce", "trarnce" etc.
Completely forgot about the South Australian accent. Very close to English RP - maybe that explains my colleague from the Western Districts - over the border.

For anyone to dismiss parts of the Australian accent as boganish are well on their way to introducing some degree of a class system in Australia and that would be 'lower than a ducks arse' in my view.
Maybe - but there will always be a socio-economic demographic stratification in most countries. I think Australian is fairly egalitarian - people share common interests and values - but it will never be classless. Trips people up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.