Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where are construction jobs in oz?

where are construction jobs in oz?

Old Apr 20th 2002, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

summers family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default where are construction jobs in oz?

we are at the start of the long migration process, but we are increasingly worried about the job prospects in oz. My husband is a roof tiler but is currently studying for a degree in construction management (the field he wants to find employment in in oz) We hear a lot of good reports about Brisbane, but how hot is it! at first we had our heart set on Adelaide but very little info is on this site regarding Adelaide. Please can anyone shed any light on the job prospects, and any pros for Adelaide?

Thanks x
Old Apr 21st 2002, 1:26 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where are construction jobs in oz?

Hi,

Gosh I dont know the best place to settle but I have friends who settled in Perth....and they have been there 13yrs and love it

It is nice to know of people who are at the beginning of the process as we are!!....I am a nurse and my hubby is a joiner by trade...I think that we will use my qualifiacation to aid us...as far as skilled migration visa class goes.

Does anyone know what happens if one partner is assessed on skill and the other isnt??...my hubby could be assessed but is a self employed joiner and Im sure it would take ages getting references ets.....or would accounts suffice????

Thanks for the help

Yvonne
Old Apr 21st 2002, 2:02 pm
ndaltonb

Hi Yvonne,

You only need one of you to be assessed, BUT it has to be the main applicant. My wife has a career but not assessed as we dedided that I would be the main applicant.

Nigel db

Originally posted by yvsie
Hi,
Does anyone know what happens if one partner is assessed on skill and the other isnt?
Yvonne

Old Apr 24th 2002, 10:00 am
Helena

"summers family" <[email protected]> wrote

> we are at the start of the long migration process, but we are increasingly worried
    > about the job prospects in oz. My husband is a roof tiler but is currently studying
    > for a degree in construction management (the field he wants to find employment in
    > in oz) We hear a lot of good reports about Brisbane, but how hot is it! at first we
    > had our heart set on Adelaide but very little info is on this site regarding
    > Adelaide. Please can anyone shed any light on the job prospects, and any pros for
    > Adelaide?

I don't know anything about construction management other than my brother is in that
field. He lives in Geelong, Victoria and almost all the projects he's worked on have
been in Melbourne (about an hour away from where he lives). He's always maintained
that the only two places with lots of medium to large projects are in Melbourne and
Sydney. He was sent to Sydney for a brief time a few years ago, to work on some
project there. He was offered a job there but turned it down because he doesn't like
Sydney. He'd like to live in Perth, where I live, but he says there isn't enough
construction going on to guarantee the type of career opportunities and advancement
that he wants. I would think that Adelaide would be worse. But then, that's for the
type of construction projects my brother is interested in - the bigger the better.
Brisbane would probably be better than Perth. It gets hot and humid in Brisbane.
Perth & Adelaide get hotter than Brisbane but it's a dry heat which is far more
tolerable. Plus, we get our rain in winter, when it's supposed to happen.

Good luck,

Helena