Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where Can I Play Cricket In Sydney?

Where Can I Play Cricket In Sydney?

Old Feb 24th 2005, 8:34 am
Banned

djdutts is on a distinguished road
Default Where Can I Play Cricket In Sydney?

Moving in a couple of months - I'm captain of my village cricket team and ned to find a club in Sydney.

I'm not a bad cricketer, but also slightly concerned about the standard. I'm used to playing "village" cricket - will everyone all be superb?

If anyone knows local teams or where to get in touch with peeps, please let me know. Whilst I do enjoy my cricket - I'm a competent bowler and normally bat about 5ish - I prefer the banter and post-match beer!

Help would be appreciated.

Cheers all
Chris
Old Feb 25th 2005, 7:10 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where Can I Play Cricket In Sydney?

Originally Posted by djdutts
Moving in a couple of months - I'm captain of my village cricket team and ned to find a club in Sydney.

I'm not a bad cricketer, but also slightly concerned about the standard. I'm used to playing "village" cricket - will everyone all be superb?

If anyone knows local teams or where to get in touch with peeps, please let me know. Whilst I do enjoy my cricket - I'm a competent bowler and normally bat about 5ish - I prefer the banter and post-match beer!

Cheers all
Chris
S C G ?

Sorry cant help really but thought i would bump it 4 you as someone must know the answer
Did watch england v aus a side in 2002 at S C G good day out.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 7:47 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers all
Chris
anytime i drive around south sydney at the weekend theres always
a game on. cant rmbr where, but ive seen loads all over sydney come to think of it.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 3:25 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers all
Chris

Can't help with Sydney specifically but I play for a local side in Victoria and did not know any of them before I moved over here. You best bet is to do what I did. Once you've got your house sorted, get yourself down to one or two of the local battlecruisers and start asking around. I found three or four teams that were looking for players. The local leagues are usually graded. A down to D or E if they have that many players. My team's top side is in the B league because to be honest we're a bit crap

Wrong time of year for joining a cricket team now though, the finals have started and in Victoria it's arial ping pong until september time. Unfortunately for you moving to Sydney that means you'll be stuck with egg chasing until the next cricket season starts in about september/october.

NJJ
Old Feb 26th 2005, 5:12 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

while driving thriugh randwick today i saw two games
so u shouldnt have too much of a prob finding a team to play for
Old Feb 26th 2005, 5:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme
S C G ?

Sorry cant help really but thought i would bump it 4 you as someone must know the answer
Did watch england v aus a side in 2002 at S C G good day out.
ARGHHH!!! I was going to put that but The Bloke wouldn't let me! Spoil sport!!!!
Old Feb 26th 2005, 6:48 am
Banned

djdutts is on a distinguished road

Was going to put what Pollyanna?
Old Feb 26th 2005, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I can help sort of.

indoor cricket is really big all year.

Also, the guy at the head of this post wasn't too far adrift with the scg. If you go to the park on anzac parade south of the scg theres an all year long comp running for knockabout and more serious cricketing types every saturday morning. There are at least 3 games running all the time. suggest you get down there and network a bit.
don't worry about the standard. I'm sure some of them will be as good as the english.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

November11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the rough

Cheers all
Chris
I just read your thread re cricket - my son is wondering much the same as you did (he is nearly 18 years old - middle order batsman, reasonable bowler, (over)enthusiastic fielder)

Did you have any luck finding a cricket team that compared to village cricket standards in the UK?