Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to buy Laptop ?

Where to buy Laptop ?

Old Apr 19th 2009, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

peace19 has a spectacular aura aboutpeace19 has a spectacular aura aboutpeace19 has a spectacular aura about
Default Where to buy Laptop ?

Hi Guys,

Can somebody tell/guide me from where I can buy Laptops in Adelaide? Any online shopping with free shippment available ? Any stores ?

Please guide.

Thx!

Bye,
Peace!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

hellozen is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Where to buy Laptop ?

Hi there

I dont live in Adelaide though, However, try to check Harvey Norman, JB HIFI, MYER, DickSmith website and search your nearest stores. I am pretty sure that there are some in Adelaide.

GoodLuck

Zen
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future
Default Re: Where to buy Laptop ?

Originally Posted by peace19
Hi Guys,

Can somebody tell/guide me from where I can buy Laptops in Adelaide? Any online shopping with free shippment available ? Any stores ?

Please guide.

Thx!

Bye,
Peace!
  1. Find the make/model you want.
  2. Find the best retail price you can get.
  3. Then if you can get online cheaper on http://www.shopbot.com.au/.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

showdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really nice

I get all my computer equipment from MSY Technology, they have several outlets nationwide.

http://www.msy.com.au/

not the best website but much cheaper than your Dick Smiths / Havey Norman shops

This is a link to there laptop prices

http://www.msy.com.au/notebook/notebook.pdf
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Past experience has always told me Dell's are tops. Would always, and have often, recommended them...
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:27 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot
Past experience has always told me Dell's are tops. Would always, and have often, recommended them...
ever been to http://www.thisistrue.com/dellhell.html ?
They used to have their own domain name called www.dellhell.com until Michael Dell set his lawyers on them.

Some interesting reads and I can add to some of those stories myself, as my work like many other dumb businesses take the stance that they are the best in business (when in fact they are just the cheapest)

Seems you may have been lucky
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

Originally Posted by slipshot
I wouldn't touch them with a 100 foot pole!

Dell's support is great (great as in they will gladly replace faulty nasty parts with other cheap nasty parts but it doesn't mean it will work first time) if you are within its service region but the thing is Dell is cheap & nasty and often many dell owners will have to utilise its support service. Often a parts replacement might take several trials as the parts replaced has a high rate of being faulty and to make matters worst you might want to pray that other working components on your laptop doesn't get messed up by the technicians during the repair or replacement process.

It depends if you want a good one to last a few years without any need for servicing or you want a poor quality one that breaks down alot but has good service support.

peace19 have a look at staticice.com.au for a price search and online stores. Do some research of the reputation of the stores before buying from any though.

Last edited by looky; Apr 20th 2009 at 12:43 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
ever been to http://www.thisistrue.com/dellhell.html ?
They used to have their own domain name called www.dellhell.com until Michael Dell set his lawyers on them.

Some interesting reads and I can add to some of those stories myself, as my work like many other dumb businesses take the stance that they are the best in business (when in fact they are just the cheapest)

Seems you may have been lucky
Here it is http://www.dellhell.net/

More http://abcnews.go.com/gma/technology...3179394&page=1
Don't forget to read the 266 user comments of bad experience with Dell here http://abcnews.go.com/gma/technology...ory&id=3179394
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:19 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peace19
Hi Guys,

Please guide.

Thx!

Bye,
Peace!
This mob have a very good reputation in the computing community.
http://www.p4laptops.com.au/laptops.htm

I bought an Asus G71G-Q2 laptop from the company below. Delivery was trackable and prompt and their after sales support has been fantastic.
http://www.affordablelaptops.com.au/index1.html
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:31 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Dare I suggest www.apple.com.au
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:36 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by harrip
Dare I suggest www.apple.com.au
Nothing wrong with that suggestions at all. It's also my recommendation.

- CDM
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:18 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

I found Dell to be very good, but that's just my experience.

One thing I discovered when shopping for a laptop was that all of the ones in shops were the type with glossy screens which are highly reflective. It's OK if you're using the laptop in a dark room watching a movie, but when using it in a brightly lit room or even outside, they're useless. The laptop companies know the glossy screens are crap but they sell well because they look nice and shiny in the shops. When you go into a shop have a look at how much of the screen you can actually see because of the reflections off the lights. Some people might not find it a problem, but I use mine outside sometimes.

That's why I bought a Dell business laptop as they were the only ones I could find with a matt screen, and plus I could build it with the exact spec I wanted.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

My advice would be to steer clear of Harvey Norman. We have had nightmares with them with our computer, as have at least three people that we know and we all say never again.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:51 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyx0

One thing I discovered when shopping for a laptop was that all of the ones in shops were the type with glossy screens which are highly reflective. It's OK if you're using the laptop in a dark room watching a movie, but when using it in a brightly lit room or even outside, they're useless. The laptop companies know the glossy screens are crap but they sell well because they look nice and shiny in the shops. When you go into a shop have a look at how much of the screen you can actually see because of the reflections off the lights. Some people might not find it a problem, but I use mine outside sometimes.

That's why I bought a Dell business laptop as they were the only ones I could find with a matt screen, and plus I could build it with the exact spec I wanted.
you can buy any brand of laptop without a shiney screen (CSV), it's just the crap laptops that manufacturers make available to retail are all consumer spec rather than business spec. If you want a decent business spec machine then you should go through a reseller (some of which have a retail front) like Harris Technology.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:58 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I found dell to be good, not the best but very good value for money.
Re the DellHell website, any bog company is going to get a large number of complaints when they ship so many units.

Originally Posted by johnnyx0

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.