British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Where to buy a kayak in Queensland? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/where-buy-kayak-queensland-553546/)

Ozzy Wozzy Aug 6th 2008 7:04 am

Where to buy a kayak in Queensland?

Looking to get a sit on top kayak but haven't decided if I get one in UK and bring it over with us or buy one in Oz.
We will be moving to Bribie Island..

Looking for a Perception Scooter or Feel Free Nomad.
Anyone know where in Queensland we can buy one?
Approximate price?

Thank you.

moneypenny20 Aug 6th 2008 8:18 am

Re: Where to buy a kayak in Queensland?

No idea of cost but I would have thought you'd be much better off getting one here, compared to buying and then shipping (unless you have room in the container). As for where - anywhere is the simple answer. I know of about 10 shops within a half hour drive of me that sells them so anywhere on the coast or near a river or creek will have at least one shop. Shouldn't have any problem finding what you're looking for.

theelliotts Aug 6th 2008 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Ozzy Wozzy (Post 6650382)
Looking to get a sit on top kayak but haven't decided if I get one in UK and bring it over with us or buy one in Oz.

Approximate price?

Thank you.

We live on Bribie and there is Aquarius Kayaks on the island (not sure if they have a website but they do list some of their items on ebay.com.au), various outdoor type shops nearby in Morayfield. My hubby wanted a sit-on kayak to also for use for fishing in the pumicestone passage and canals - he shopped around and brought from Extreme Kayaks who manufacture them - they are local (ca 20mins drive from Bribie) in Caboolture. He got a package deal from them for just under $1000.

Hope that helps - any queries re this or Bribie, please pm.

Nina (from a lovely sunny Bribie - not bad for a winter's day!!)

spartacus Aug 6th 2008 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Ozzy Wozzy (Post 6650382)

Approximate price?

Thank you.

There's a shop here called BCF (boating camping fishing). All three are national obbsessions of the local male. They do kayaks. They probably have a website www.bcf.com.au ?

jacknscoob Aug 20th 2008 7:09 pm

To get a bargain check out the local free ads eg. Sunshine Coast Daily on a Sat, or check-out ebay in Auz.

kiwinow Aug 20th 2008 9:06 pm

We're looking to get kayaks when we get to Oz too. Can somebody tell me what are the differences/advantages/usages etc between sit on and sit in kayaks?

theelliotts Sep 2nd 2008 10:04 am

Originally Posted by kiwinow (Post 6698713)
We're looking to get kayaks when we get to Oz too. Can somebody tell me what are the differences/advantages/usages etc between sit on and sit in kayaks?

Mate, go for a sit on, if you fall off it wont sink, if the sit in doesnt sink it will be a real pig to get back into anyway/ you will need to beach it first.also the sit on's are easier to set up for fishing (which is the main reason that everyone comes to Oz for(fact)). my 'Yak' is a small extreme Fish bandit at 2.7m long ( so it fits on the back of the Ute) , c/w 4xrod holders & all the bits you need to get out on the water with a cost of $1000.00, + its in desert storm camo colours.
(these comments are from Nina's other half & are true IMHO).
cheers
Peter E

kiwinow Sep 2nd 2008 9:07 pm

Thanks for that. No doubt the son will steal it for fishing, but that's not my first priority, although if we can't find decent jobs it may become our main source of food. :D The place we hope to live in OZ has miles of calm beach and a wide creek to explore so I thought it might be a fun way to get fit and check out some sea life, but I don't want to become sea food. Getting back on easily seems a good idea. We have a canoe at present, but it takes 3 people to lift in on and off the car, so consequently doesn't get used much. We're looking at something much lighter. Will also be looking for a small easy kayak for kids 10 -12 who are complete beginners. Any recommendations?

Bernieboy Sep 2nd 2008 10:17 pm

Do sharks like the taste of kayaks:eek:

spartacus Sep 2nd 2008 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by kiwinow (Post 6741833)
We have a canoe at present, but it takes 3 people to lift in on and off the car, so consequently doesn't get used much.

Fook me! I can see what you mean!

http://www.hickerphoto.com/data/medi...d_CRW_9565.jpg

kiwinow Sep 3rd 2008 1:17 am

:rofl::rofl:

Well it's not quite a Maori war canoe. More your Canadian type, but its very heavy.

I've never heard of anyone being snatched off their kayak by a Tiger Shark, but that's a point. Do you feel as safe from what's in the water if you're sitting on, rather than sitting in?

Stella340 Sep 3rd 2008 7:40 am

4 Attachment(s)
We bought ours from Adventure Outlet on Marine Parade in Southport. Love it :thumbsup: and it was about $1000 for everything, kayak, two seats, paddles, life jacket for me.
There are tons of shops over here that do kayaks, sit on sit in etc etc etc. You'll be spoilt for choice if you buy over here.

smudger_scfc Sep 3rd 2008 9:06 am

Anaconda is the better and cheaper shop that i've found for such things. Probably worth your while having a look, they have stores in Everton park Brisbane and Ashmore aswell as others around Australia

Here's the link.

http://www.anaconda.com.au/

annqldau Sep 3rd 2008 9:39 am

Originally Posted by theelliotts (Post 6650689)
We live on Bribie and there is Aquarius Kayaks on the island (not sure if they have a website but they do list some of their items on ebay.com.au), various outdoor type shops nearby in Morayfield. My hubby wanted a sit-on kayak to also for use for fishing in the pumicestone passage and canals - he shopped around and brought from Extreme Kayaks who manufacture them - they are local (ca 20mins drive from Bribie) in Caboolture. He got a package deal from them for just under $1000.

Hope that helps - any queries re this or Bribie, please pm.

Nina (from a lovely sunny Bribie - not bad for a winter's day!!)

www.aquariusseakayaks.com.au

http://stores.ebay.com.au/AQUARIUS-S...S-07-3408-2490

Jason from Aquarius frequently sells on Ebay cheaper than in the shop, you can still go view in the shop then bid on line.

He's excellent for lots of info and try before you buy etc..