Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where in Brisbane?

Where in Brisbane?

Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

ShoppingJoJo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Where in Brisbane?

My husband has been relocated to Brisbane with his job and I am desperately trying to gather as much information as possible on the area. We are going out in March for a proper reccie but could someone kindly guide me on good areas to live that would be suitable for a young family (ages 18 months and 5years) who knows not one person in OZ?!!

I haven't the foggestin where to start, as New South Wales is where we have previously spent time before. We are looking for good schools, a safe and child friendly environment and close to the beaches......however, saying all of that I have no idea what we would be looking to spend to rent a family home?

Thanks to everyone who can give me any information.

Jo
xx

Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Swooty will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where in Brisbane?

We are going to Narangba about 40 mins North of Brizzy. I found it a lovely area, we have two kids 5 and 2 and they have two really nice schools.

PM me if you want to know more, I will be happy to advise
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:36 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShoppingJoJo
My husband has been relocated to Brisbane with his job and I am desperately trying to gather as much information as possible on the area. We are going out in March for a proper reccie but could someone kindly guide me on good areas to live that would be suitable for a young family (ages 18 months and 5years) who knows not one person in OZ?!!

I haven't the foggestin where to start, as New South Wales is where we have previously spent time before. We are looking for good schools, a safe and child friendly environment and close to the beaches......however, saying all of that I have no idea what we would be looking to spend to rent a family home?

Thanks to everyone who can give me any information.

Jo
xx

More information ie were job is, start times, max travelling times for trains/cars required etc, might be helpful for others to give info to you.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

ShoppingJoJo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Where in Brisbane?

Thank you! Yes max travelling time 30-45 minutes or so, we are looking to be out there for june/july time this year.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:42 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you! Yes max travelling time 30-45 minutes or so, we are looking to be out there for june/july time this year.
Still depends what rings your bell...

Or you wanting in city or out.
In town or out.
Acreage or estate.
Mega estate or small.
Everything on your doorstep or close by.
Coast or inland.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Trixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really nice

Nerangba isn't a bad choice at all. Prices (home) are fairly good and there's a sense of being close to the city (40 min train ride is considered reasonable here) but you also feel a little semi-rural there too. (I think it'll be a good investment area for the very near future too). I know someone who rents in a 2 bedroom that way. I can't remember the rent she pays but she's on a modest budget and the house is brick and tile, tidy street, walking distance to some shops.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:48 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

To CBD or suburbs?

If CBD, be aware that there are only so many ways in, and the roads are usually chocker between 6-9am. This can be especially so on the northern side and will get worse when the contruction of the North-South Bypass gets into full swing around Kedron. For example, it can take normally me 45-50 min to get from Chermside to Windsor (way before the CBD) down Gympie Rd.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by The Bloke
To CBD or suburbs?

If CBD, be aware that there are only so many ways in, and the roads are usually chocker between 6-9am. This can be especially so on the northern side and will get worse when the contruction of the North-South Bypass gets into full swing around Kedron. For example, it can take normally me 45-50 min to get from Chermside to Windsor (way before the CBD) down Gympie Rd.
You avoid Gympie Rd and go the back way and you can get to Chermside in 30 and city in 45. Wouldn't say Northside morning traffic is worse than South as I've seen the Southern Gateway and Pacific Motorway on a morning plus the Gap road and they are at a crawl at well.

Main reason on Gympie is the bl@@dy traffic lights wish they would just put roundabouts in so the traffic flows...:curse:
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:15 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I think everyone would want Acreage near to the city and on the beach. But you should have added affordability to your list

Originally Posted by annqldau
Still depends what rings your bell...

Or you wanting in city or out.
In town or out.
Acreage or estate.
Mega estate or small.
Everything on your doorstep or close by.
Coast or inland.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by themerlin
I think everyone would want Acreage near to the city and on the beach. But you should have added affordability to your list
There's just too many options really you just have to get here and do it, we never originally intended to move as far in over but preferred the hills to the beach as more wildlife and birds etc. to watch when chilling.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:06 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

:curse:
Bugga !! Beach or Mountains, .... choices choices... grrrr
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:13 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

You managed acreage and beach
Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
:curse:
Bugga !! Beach or Mountains, .... choices choices... grrrr
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:17 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

You managed acreage and beach
yer. well kinda

7 acres absolute beachfront.. but we are 5k a drift of a deal. Ive caved in, and said I will pay this 5k, and the guys buggered off for a month to KiwiLand

The deals been On off ON off On Off.. for 3 months....

and its not a piddly amount of money !! grrrrr
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:23 am

Our friend are thinking about Beachmere, but don't have as much cash as you, have you find any negatives about the place ?

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
yer. well kinda

7 acres absolute beachfront.. but we are 5k a drift of a deal. Ive caved in, and said I will pay this 5k, and the guys buggered off for a month to KiwiLand

The deals been On off ON off On Off.. for 3 months....

and its not a piddly amount of money !! grrrrr
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:26 am
Banned

Our friend are thinking about Beachmere, but don't have as much cash as you, have you find any negatives about the place ?
well kinda.

Where Campbell Parade, runs.. to the very end, its like a cul de sac.

On the left as you drive along, theres a waterway, and its thick with Mozzies.

On the south side of town, a couple of the roads in there are a tad rough.

But, looks ok to me lol

The new pub is open, and its awesome, as one agent said, 20 yrs ahead of its time

Ste

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.