Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where the Bl**dy Hell are you..???

Where the Bl**dy Hell are you..???

Old Feb 24th 2006, 3:34 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Where the Bl**dy Hell are you..???

Originally Posted by Billabong
British advertisers wouldn't do it because of the politically correct madness so prevalent in the UK.
Things such as Radio, Tv and advertisements in the UK have strict rules.

Generally radio you can not swear at all, no matter what time of the day or night it is - unlike here where they swear anytime of the day ,as radio broadcasting in the UK is classed for everyone - U rated.

TV before the watershed is strict because of young children. You may be the type of person who may think it's cute for a two year old etc to have a mouth like navvy - but I don't
It has nothing to do with political correctness in the Uk but everything to do with classifications - what very young children should not watch.

Nobody here yet has said that they would not mind if their 2, 3, 4 yr old etc child spoke like this - or is that point going to be missed too.

Sorry you are living in a different land to me if you think Australia has no political correctness about it lol

Sigh.

cheers
Old Feb 24th 2006, 3:54 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

No Ceri I don't think its cute for a 2 year old to have a mouth like a navvy but I do live in a world where you hear that kind of thing (and worse) in the mall, on the beach, in my 8 year olds primary school. I am not saying it is right I am just saying it is part of life around the world and there is not one thing we can do about it.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 4:12 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by northernbird
No Ceri I don't think its cute for a 2 year old to have a mouth like a navvy but I do live in a world where you hear that kind of thing (and worse) in the mall, on the beach, in my 8 year olds primary school. I am not saying it is right I am just saying it is part of life around the world and there is not one thing we can do about it.
True, but it is not to say it should be on the TV too , in your own home- subjected to it from all aspects of life.
I hear the C word most days - does this also mean the c word should be on prime TV too as kids hear it outside anyway?
I don't think so. To put language on prime time is basically saying it is an acceptable language in everyday life - no it is not

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Feb 24th 2006 at 4:14 am.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri
Sorry you are living in a different land to me if you think Australia has no political correctness about it lol
lol. PC exists in Australia, but there is a degree of informality here which is accepted by a vast majority of people.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 4:15 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree with you Ceri. I just don't think that you can compare the C word to the word bloody particularly in the context of this advert.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

oldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really nice

really? lol

I think they will find that in reality it will attract the lower than average earner, and people with lower than average IQ
"experience seeker and opened minded" - I would personally advise anyone who is really like this to think very carefully about coming here.

The tourist board will probably find out they will be attracting the very people they do not want to attract here - The Great British Lager lout

cheers
Ceri
Firstly thankYOU (and indeed thankyou TOO everybody who is contributing. Some great points so far and diverse input interesting and enlightening).
I certainly acknowledge this is no help to ( earlier posting) all involved in bringing up and caring/advising young children.I know the kids are going to get there but I feel later rather than sooner and we don't need that sort of help in the name of Australia do we...
I tend to agree that the campaign seems likely to miss the target audience with consequences. And many countries will judge the campaign inappropriate
Which begs the question was the market research right in the first place. Sod's law will probably make this the best campaign ever and whilst I want more work and more jobs for everyone throughout Australia it does the Australians who i count as my friends no favours.
Were any of you surprised that Australia would seek to promote an already more than adequate package this way? I know we have TV adverts where " bugga" is used to great effect and much amusement.But this Nation's advert on all our behalves could we /should we have done it differently do you think.
Politically incorrect it is a breath of a sort of fresh air but will it attract and would they not have come anyway.
Cheers
Old Feb 24th 2006, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

oldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really nice

Generally radio you can not swear at all, no matter what time of the day or night it is - unlike here where they swear anytime of the day ,as radio broadcasting in the UK is classed for everyone - U rated.

TV before the watershed is strict because of young children. You may be the type of person who may think it's cute for a two year old etc to have a mouth like navvy - but I don't
It has nothing to do with political correctness in the Uk but everything to do with classifications - what very young children should not watch.

Nobody here yet has said that they would not mind if their 2, 3, 4 yr old etc child spoke like this - or is that point going to be missed too.

Sigh.

cheers
Ceri
Your point has not gone unnoticed i am ducking out now too slow a typist and you are all way ahead of me and doing just fine without me
cheers
Old Feb 24th 2006, 6:32 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Where the Bl**dy Hell are you..???

I think the big mistake was to open and close the ad with a bikini-clad bird. She didn't need to be there in the first place, and her closing line sounded false and too obviously rehearsed.

I can't help feeling that many people would find it easier to accept the tag-line ("Where the bloody hell are you?") if it had been spoken by an outback farmer, or a similarly down-to-earth character.

It might be a blatant stereotype, but it would at least be realistic. On a certain level, I think people half-expect a bit of rough language from an old cockie; I don't think they really expect it from a bit of crumpet on the beach.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

I saw the ad in full on sunrise this morning and have to say I think its great.
What I love about Australia and its people is that they don't give a stuff, its a shame we have all become so damn namby pamby in England. Some bloke from the cabinet, Costello I think, made a speech last night saying that if migrants coming to Oz couldn't commit to the customs and laws of this country then to go somewhere else. Can you imagine the uproar in England if Gordon Brown had said that. I bloody love it here!
I heard on the radio while they were talking about this speech that they are trying to introduce a bill where they can revoke your right to stay here if they think your a danger to OZ. They also said it should be a tougher immigration policy while trying to encourage people who will adjust straight into Aussie culture to come over.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 8:14 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh.

cheers
If the worst my four year old son ever said was that toe-curlingly horrific word 'bloody', then I'd be a very happy dad indeed. Whether it's on TV or radio makes no difference, they pick this stuff up in the playground and introduce charming words into the conversation. If you really think this rather bland series of adverts is going to have every tot in the UK tapping their watches and chanting the punchline at mum and dad when they're five minutes late at the school gates, then you've clearly not see the Big Cheese Dipper advert - now that's *good* advertising.

And as for restrictions on swearing in the UK. Didn't stop Chris Moyles from saying "You've got three kids from some ****er!" at 8:00am on his breakfast show. Admittedly, Moyles is only one step up from pond scum, but the BBC clearly didn't care, saying Moyles had aplogised, and Ofcom, cleared him. So get off your high horse for a nano-second before making assumptions about a country which, by your own admission, you haven't lived in for nine years.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Have to admit, I have no qualms about bloody at all.

I'd be more interested in how my kids said it and the context. If I told them off it would be for the way they might say it, their attitude and the intention, not the words themselves.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:04 am
Gutter Gob!!

just this dinnertime my 3 year old was stomping around the house shouting "where are my bloody shoes"

obviously been listening to me too much!!
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:45 am
Just Joined

lisac is on a distinguished road

just this dinnertime my 3 year old was stomping around the house shouting "where are my bloody shoes"

obviously been listening to me too much!!
Fantastic!! I have read all about this add on here and in the newspaper articles it has generated - I can't wait to get home tonight where I can view it on my PC.

I think this ad will appeal to more people than it is given credit for on here - I am not a bloke, have a pretty good IQ, work in a professional job and am just about to hit my thirties - Good on the Aussies for not taking themselves too seriously is what I think!!!!

.... and yep I remember the 'Bugga' advert, it was on when we were in Oz, it had the dog missing to jump on the back of the ute, wasn't it? Cant remember who the ad was for though, but it had us laughing, just because we knew it would never happen in the UK - we are far too reserved for that??
Old Feb 24th 2006, 6:17 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Where the Bl**dy Hell are you..???

Originally Posted by lisac
.... and yep I remember the 'Bugga' advert, it was on when we were in Oz, it had the dog missing to jump on the back of the ute, wasn't it? Cant remember who the ad was for though, but it had us laughing, just because we knew it would never happen in the UK - we are far too reserved for that??
It was a Toyota ad, and I absolutely loved it.

Originally launched in New Zealand, but later Australia.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was fantastic.

I like it, however I AM IN OLDHAM.....

thats were I am till I get a bloody visa lol

hugs Lace x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.